Quantcast

Yeti AS-X bike trailer adapter

Ok, so first off I'm sure you might be scratching your head right now, but some of us just have to make due with what we have. I have a 12-month old that we're taking on bike rides down the 'ol bike path, and the adapter that came with the trailer is just downright scary. So, I figured I'd put my design skills to use and come up with a custom adapter that is tailored specifially for my AS-X. Well, see the shots below to take a look at the first concepts. It's been suggested on other forums that I should come up with an over-the-skewer design that will allow wheel removal, but so far I still haven't quite been able to A) make it as strong and stiff as the latest under-the-skewer design, and B) still requires you to open the skewer in order to install/remove it.

Any thoughts comments on the first two iterations? Which one do you like better? Which one do you think compliments the design of the AS-X better?

Attachments

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
call me crazy but wouldnt it be cheaper to buy a K-mart bike for the rides with the trailor then to fabricate this hanger?

but in response to the question i like the second one better.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Why did you go that route? I would have made a yoke that would attach to both sides of the axle and curve around the wheel then attach the trailer to that, I don't like the idea of all the load going to one dropout, then again it's not like you're hucking anything and your kid weighs about 20 lbs now? It might be more significant to drill speed holes in the trailer and lighten it up.

What material is that anyway, if I had to guess I'd say nylon or delrin which I doubt will be strong enough in the long run but it could be painted aluminum. I know a guy who has access to a laser cutter, as long as you are staying under 1/4 inch thickness I might be able to get you some 2D steel pieces gratis.

A yoke wouldn't work because of the design of the trailer arm (see in pic). It's designed to attach somewhere on the left side of the bike. I'll attach pics of the original mount.

Material in the pics is just bonded powder, made with a 3D printer. Plan is to have it machined from 6061 or 7075 Aluminum.

Attachments

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Oh I get it, I thought for some reason you had the trailer at 90 degrees to the bike for the picture.

Still you could use a yoke type approach and have the trailer connect rearward of the wheel with an attachment point on the non-driveside. Seriously if you need some stuff laser cut let me know I might be able to save you a few hundred bucks.