Quantcast

Yeti AS-X rear axle conversion

Jun 20, 2007
Has anyone on here converted their Yeti AS-X from a quick release rear axle to a solid bolt on type axle? If so, I am looking for information on how to do this, the potential costs, and if there was a real life performance result. If have have an after photo, that would be great too. Thanks.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
You can do it. Both DMR and AtomLab offer a QR to 12mm bolt-on conversion kit that will work with any 12mm through-axle / 135mm spacing rear hub. I'd recommend the DMR kit as the dropouts rest on the solid axle rather than the bolts, but either kit works well. I've installed a number of them on many QR rear ends and it definitley stiffens things up a bit.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
I'm thinking of ordering a new custom built wheelset for my as-x.
can i use a 10mm bolt on rear hub with the as-x ? (I'm thinking about the hope pro-2 10mm bolt on rear hub).

Blockhead

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
I converted my atomblab to a bolt on for like $10-$15 dollars. Couldnt deal w/ bent and broken skewers anymore. I swear it gives the rear end a more rigid feel as well, but I might just be imagining that

Jun 20, 2007
I converted my atomblab to a bolt on for like $10-$15 dollars. Couldnt deal w/ bent and broken skewers anymore. I swear it gives the rear end a more rigid feel as well, but I might just be imagining that
Thanks for the feedback, I have not gotten around to switching out my QR yet, it will likely be a winter project. Good to know the rear end feels more rigid.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Has anyone on here converted their Yeti AS-X from a quick release rear axle to a solid bolt on type axle? If so, I am looking for information on how to do this, the potential costs, and if there was a real life performance result. If have have an after photo, that would be great too. Thanks.
The new hub route will definitely work. Look for a 10mm through axle or 10mm bolt on. That will be a nice upgrade over the stock XT.

If you want to go the cheap route. I took the stock rear wheel with the XT Rear hub and swapped out the hollow QR Axle for a Solid Chromoly Bolt on Axle. That conversion only cost about $15 for the axle w/ nuts and 20 minutes of time.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU407Z42-Wheels+Manufacturing+Axle.aspx

Jun 20, 2007
The new hub route will definitely work. Look for a 10mm through axle or 10mm bolt on. That will be a nice upgrade over the stock XT.

If you want to go the cheap route. I took the stock rear wheel with the XT Rear hub and swapped out the hollow QR Axle for a Solid Chromoly Bolt on Axle. That conversion only cost about $15 for the axle w/ nuts and 20 minutes of time.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU407Z42-Wheels+Manufacturing+Axle.aspx

Thank you.