Quantcast

Yeti As-X spring rate

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
I have a medium 2006 AS-X frame w/ FOX DHX 5.0 and stock 450 spring.

I weight around 167.
Yeti have a shock setup guide on their site with a spring rate table, according to this table the 450 spring is for 130-190 lbs riders.
I get around 40-50 % SAG with this spring with full gear.

should I change it to a 500 spring (with rider weight of 150-210 according to Yeti) ? won't the bike be too firm for my weight ?

I haven't bottomed out, can I damage the shock if i'll continue riding with my spring until i'll replace it ?

headkase

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
I'm guessing you're riding mostly freeride. If you already have the preload maxed out (3mm or 6 turns from contact) and still have 50% sag, go with the next size up spring.

I have an 05 with the 5th element and had to change out from the 450 to the 600# spring for my weight(205 plus gear) to get the proper sag. Rides like a dream now.

Also, don't forget to buy the linkage tool from yeti for 19.99. Makes swapping the spring out cake and won't void the warrenty when you end up using a hammer.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
my LBS had a 2.8x550 spring and they replaced my spring with it for free.
now i have around 30% sag (maybe a little bit more) with preload almost fully opened, which seems to be ok.
but the bike feels stiff (maybe im just not used to it..), also I haven't ridden them yet so i don't know how it feels in other situations than just sitting.

should I stay with this spring or try to get a 500 spring after all?