Quantcast

Yeti ASX vs. Trek Session 77

bbarson

Chimp
Jun 30, 2006
Orange County, CA
I am getting back into mountain biking and want a long travel "trail"/freeride bike. I used to ride and race xc like 8 years ago and rode nothing but hardtails, so I really have no knowledge of the different styles of linkage and travel. I need some advice.

I have spent the past few weeks online looking for the perfect bike for what I want to do: trail ride, hit some heavy dh every once in a while, and jump off stuff (pretty much sums up desert freeriding?). The two bikes I have narrowed it down to are the Yeti ASX and the Trek Session 77. Does anyone have experience with both? Which will pedal better? Is 42 lbs that big of a deal when pedaling uphill? Just trying to pick your brains, please offer some advice...

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Pretty good choices to narrow it down to.

Both are nice bikes for what they are. You WILL notice a difference uphill with either one. I'm most familiar with the Session 77, which has a great build kit. (I'm just running the full build kit off of one). The Session 77 frame is quite nice and much heftier than it looks in photos. I really like the Bontrager Big Earl wheels, they are a lot tougher than they look (only 32 hole rims) and the Big Earl tires hook up like mad (2.5s are heavy, though). The stem is also really stiff (more so than the SIC stem I replaced it with due to stack height issues).

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either one, but they will sure not feel like any trail bike you have ridden before. Both will pedal about the same, depending on the shock you use. The Trek is known to have some creaky linkage issues, which may or may not have been resolved by now. It is also quite heavy, 12 lbs or so. The Yeti is lighter, but may be a tiny bit flexier in the rear, but likely not so much that you would notice. Lots of people say the Yeti feels like poop in the longer travel setting.

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
I ride the asx and in 7 inch mode. Rides great. I use as my xc/fr bike. The rear is great but if you are concerned about the stiffnes throw in thru axle and your bomb proof..something I have not done yet but down line most likely will. I love it...best decision I have made in a while next to buying my Sinister R9 :)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
DORO said:
I ride the asx and in 7 inch mode. Rides great. I use as my xc/fr bike. The rear is great but if you are concerned about the stiffnes throw in thru axle and your bomb proof..something I have not done yet but down line most likely will. I love it...best decision I have made in a while next to buying my Sinister R9 :)

MMM.........Sinister R9:drool:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the trek will pedal better in the granny gear cuz the pivot is lower, the asx has some pedal jack in the granny.

headkase

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
I too recommend the yeti, the pedal jack is there but the bike shines in every other area. Just get stronger so you don't have to use the granny:D

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I think the 77 might pedal better, but if it matters at all a guy I ride with just broke his 77 clean in half at the seat tube right above the weld on not a big drop.

bbarson

Chimp
Jun 30, 2006
Orange County, CA
Well, just got a killer deal on an '06 Session 7, its en route as we speak. Can't wait to hit Bootleg Canyon with it next week!!!

It would have been nice to ride either one before purchasing, but no bike shop in Vegas had either. Just getting back into the sport, so if I get really into it again it will be easier to justify spending the money on a higher end bike.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Both bikes will do what you want. I'd pick the Yeti over the Trek. The Trek FR bikes are sluggish trail riders.

You should look into the Nomad. It will pedal more efficiently than the Yeti and has better geometry for the DH. Look up Nomad in the Free ride forum.