Quantcast

Yeti DJ (Hardtail)

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
So I am in search for the right hardtail, I have been riding a Geekhouse which is too small for me and is for sale at the moment. After riding my Dh bike I can not get used to the frame anymore, its just too small and low. I used to be able to jump the bike very well, but last week when I went to the local jumps, I felt awkward, and felt like had no idea what I was doing, infact, I can't even bunny hop the bike anymore..... :(

Being 6'3'' it makes it hard to find the right bike, ive looked at numerous frames and geometry lists and compared frame to frame. One bike that seemed in my mind to be good is the Yeti DJ hardtail. The geomtetry is just right, low bb, 16.5 stays, it will be a nice stable bike. The yeti site has the Long version listed as having a 23.5" top tube but from the picture shown it seems to be a virtual length. Does anyone have an actual TT measurement of the Long frame?

I have 2 friends that have this frame at the moment, I haven't had a ton of time to test the bikes but from the times I have ridden them they feel nice. But again, I am not sure if they have the Long or Short model. I would be using this bike for mainly dirt jumping, definetly some 4x and slalom racing. And a little skatepark riding in the winter. My main concern is being comfortable on the bike while switching back and forth from hardtail to dh bike.

If anyone has any experience with this bike let me know, fill me in so I make the right choice, I tend to waiste my time finding bikes by just buying what looks cool. Help me find something that fits the bill!

Heres the build I plan on having if it matters:

Long Frame model.
Sherman Jumper
King Headset
SIC Stem
SIC Race Bar
Avid Juicy 5's (Strong enoough?)
Not sure on a wheelset yet.
High roller tires
Thomson post
WTB Seat
E.thirteen Chainguide
Sram Shifting
Easton Cully pedals

Thats about it, Thanks,

Dan

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Having a really long top tube on a hardtail to make it feel "larger" and more comparable to your big dh bike isnt going to make it easier to ride. I sugjest the following: first match the tt length of your DH bike to your street bike and second ride the bike more! Part 2 is the most important, the #1 way to ride a bike well is to ride it a ton. If you get a tt length that is too long then good luck feeling comfortable on it.

juicy 5s are hella strong

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Mattoid said:
Having a really long top tube on a hardtail to make it feel "larger" and more comparable to your big dh bike isnt going to make it easier to ride. I sugjest the following: first match the tt length of your DH bike to your street bike and second ride the bike more! Part 2 is the most important, the #1 way to ride a bike well is to ride it a ton. If you get a tt length that is too long then good luck feeling comfortable on it.

juicy 5s are hella strong
I ride the Geekhouse atleast once a day, and im not even kidding. I don't feel awkward just riding around and doing roll-backs and abubacas but when it comes to jumping I seem to have "lost" it. Over the winter I was pretty good in the skatepark, I could get some big air and felt fine on my bike. And this spring I could too. But then like 4 weeks ago I had a pretty bad crash that messed up my shoulder and made my arm very weak( as in I could no lift it past my shoulder height, its now back up to about 80% stength but I can't bunny hop or jump my bike. before the crash, I could.

Ever hear of this happening? And its not because I am scared or anything, the crash was during Downhilling.

Dan

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I am 6'2" and used to have a long yeti DJ. The TT was perfect. It was a fantastic MTX/jump bike. For street I prefer shorter stays and a lower standover. Or a BMX.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
rockymt21 said:
I ride the Geekhouse atleast once a day, and im not even kidding. I don't feel awkward just riding around and doing roll-backs and abubacas but when it comes to jumping I seem to have "lost" it. Over the winter I was pretty good in the skatepark, I could get some big air and felt fine on my bike. And this spring I could too. But then like 4 weeks ago I had a pretty bad crash that messed up my shoulder and made my arm very weak( as in I could no lift it past my shoulder height, its now back up to about 80% stength but I can't bunny hop or jump my bike. before the crash, I could.

Ever hear of this happening? And its not because I am scared or anything, the crash was during Downhilling.

Dan

well im sure that the yetis is gonan bea nice ride, but i bet if you really think about whats freaking you out at speed i bet it would come down to a single component of your build. Maybe a slightly wider bar or taller fork could make the difference?

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Mattoid said:
well im sure that the yetis is gonan bea nice ride, but i bet if you really think about whats freaking you out at speed i bet it would come down to a single component of your build. Maybe a slightly wider bar or taller fork could make the difference?
Well I am not freaked out when riding, after the crash I could just not physically jump.

Anyway, another drawback about the Geekhouse is that it is Single speed only, takes a BMX rear hub, And it doesn't have disc tabs. So for racing 4x, its nearly impossible. Gate starts are twice as hard and slowing down is hard too.

Dan

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i rode the prototype long version for a year and three months and loved it but the bottom bracket was to high for my likings. then when production rolled around last year i got a short and rode that untill march and then switched over to sinister. the yeti has a very strange ride to it which i thought i loved untill i rode e-bots dna and fell in love. the dna makes a great street bike (perfect geometry for park, dj's, mtnx etc etc) and if your running single speed it is uber easy set up.
my buils on the dj was
d3.1 on hadleys with revo comp spokes
hayes brake(s)
king headset
various maxxis tires
truvativ holzbenders
e13 stuff
thomson post and stem with mirra seat
protaper bars etc etc
i had it at 27.7lbs singlespeed and tubless (must for a street bike i have found out) and 29 with gears and whatnot

sinister dna medium in blue
same wheels but new ex823's
deity cranks and bars with ti spindle and chain wheel all white
e13 36t bash
sram hollow link chain
nycfreeride stem, glory hole pedals, bar caps, and seat post colar all chrome except for pedals
thomson post with velo camo seat
avid juicy 5's (best brakes i have ridden minus my juicy sevens)
\it weights in at 28.5lbs but the frame is much sturdier and rides a ton better

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
the reason that frame is so stiff was b/c me and fisher kept bending and cracking the rear ends on the first prototypes by doing 180's and whatnot. the production version is super stiff but has nothing on the dna compare the cnc work and chainstay size and youll see a huge difference