Quantcast

Yeti support = ****

gwat

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Fernie, BC, Canada
So I'm refurbishing a DH9 frame. Got it repainted and asked Yeti for a sticker kit. They didn't have the exact kit, but could piece something together for me and it would cost $50 !! Not quite worth it in my opinion.
Then two of the pivot sleeves are warped on the frame. I go to the exploded view on the Yeti website, get the part numbers and call Yeti to order replacements. The guy tells me they don't sell individual parts (why list part #s on the site then?), but will sell me the complete hardware kit for the frame for the low price of $130.
What can I do? Anyone have a line on DH9 parts? I need the 'sleeve split mount' and 'flange split mount'.
Anyone else have comments on Yeti support? They are not at all 'supporting' their customers. You'd expect after dropping huge $$ on a Yeti they would be bending over backwards for their customers but apparently not.

GiveitHell

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
dude they have other **** to worry about than you buying a second hand bike. and 130 isn't all that bad for all new hardware. maybe if the dh9 wasn't a discontinued model....

gwat

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Fernie, BC, Canada
dude they have other **** to worry about than you buying a second hand bike. and 130 isn't all that bad for all new hardware. maybe if the dh9 wasn't a discontinued model....
I am REFURBISHING MY frame dude, not buying something used. And I don't have $130 to spend on new hardware, good deal or not. I just want the two small parts to get my frame together.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am REFURBISHING MY frame dude, not buying something used. And I don't have $130 to spend on new hardware, good deal or not. I just want the two small parts to get my frame together.
refurbishing or not, you're doing work on a frame that's been discontinued for several years now (not sure exactly how long - but its been a while). You should be glad they even have the replacement parts sitting around at all. And besides, Yeti has their hands more than full dealing with production of the 303. You have 3 options here:

1) Suck it up and buy the whole kit (this way you also have additional parts on hand should anything else go wrong)

2) Beg mercilessly for them to sell you just those 2 parts, just don't hold your breath on this (cuz its highly unlikely that its gonna happen - what would they do with an incomplete rebuild kit sitting around?).

3) Make friends with some local machinists.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Sad truth is that they are past that and into throwing the full weight of their support behind current product (i.e. - the 303). Be glad that they do at least support your DH9 with a parts kit.

Yes, it's spendy - - just like the ASX dogbone/shock bushing press tools are spendy (albeit unnecessary).

You have two choices: 1) buck up and pay for the parts package to refurb it all; 2)Go to your local bearing supply and look for flanged and straight bronze bushings to replace those two specific pieces. You might be surprized.

Seth (aka Bubba), the support guy you usually get on the phone at Yeti, is a great guy but sometimes you have to kind of work on him and stay after him to get the help you are after. Good luck!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It's likely they have four rebuild kits for the DH9 kicking around in the back of their warehouse and do not want to break one up. No, they aren't going to tie up their production lines to make more for a bike that hasn't been manufactured for a long time...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the frame re-build kit is available on their site.

i ride a three+ yr. old DH9.
and it's well worth the $$$.
i too just needed a few pieces from that kit.
but when i got it and installed all of it, the thing rode like brand new.
$$$ and time well spent.

this has been the most durable longest lasting bike i've ever owned.
i keep waiting for it to break or wear out so i can get a new 303.
but it just keeps on rippin.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i keep waiting for it to break or wear out so i can get a new 303.
in that case you might wanna order it now so you can have it in 2 or 3 seasons from now :rofl:

seriously though most orders are taking upwards of 15 months to fill (so i've heard through the people I've talked to who have them). They paint 1 a day too from the same info i've heard.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
hah hah...deleted out cuss word makes it look like he's giving them a 4 star rating!! Funniest accidental compliment!!! :rofl:
Full on accidental compliment for sure! I thought the same thing! My experience with Yeti customer support has always been super positive, and pretty much everyone I know that has had to get support has the same story. Oh yeah, and if any of you DH9 owners in this thread wants to upgrade, I'm being forced by surgical bills to sell my 303 (minus wheels and cranks) check out the classified ad and PM me with any questions:

:spam: My 303 For Sale

Not to worry, I'll be getting a new 303 for next season as soon as I'm out of this financial slump I've got...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Full on accidental compliment for sure! I thought the same thing! My experience with Yeti customer support has always been super positive, and pretty much everyone I know that has had to get support has the same story.

Oh yeah, and if any of you DH9 owners in this thread wants to upgrade, I'm being forced by surgical bills to sell my 303 (minus wheels and cranks) check out the classified ad and PM me with any questions:

My 303 For Sale

Not to worry, I'll be getting a new 303 for next season as soon as I'm out of this financial slump I've got...

wow. sorry to hear you have to part with such a beautiful bike because of surgery. heal up man, hope those bills get taken care of.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
wow. sorry to hear you have to part with such a beautiful bike because of surgery. heal up man, hope those bills get taken care of.
I'm bummed, but it'll be nice to get zero'ed out with this financial mess. Note to self, get health insurance before purchasing new 303! :D

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
in that case you might wanna order it now so you can have it in 2 or 3 seasons from now :rofl:
all that's been figured into the decision.
it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

pre-planning and patience.

plus.
this bike just keeps on going.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Wow, I can't believe they still even have the hardware for that frame. That's rad they still have some. Suck it up and get the hardware kit, and install everything, or at least keep it around until the rest of the bushings and bearings blow up. If you think this is bad, try dealing with Intense, or just about any other company for that matter.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow, I can't believe they still even have the hardware for that frame. That's rad they still have some. Suck it up and get the hardware kit, and install everything, or at least keep it around until the rest of the bushings and bearings blow up. If you think this is bad, try dealing with Intense, or just about any other company for that matter.
word.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
so Yeti sucks because your broke a$$ can't afford $130 bucks for a hardware kit that by the graces of God they still have:nopity:

go see your local machinist about making those two parts and i'm sure the $130 will become a bargain.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
do you think yeti when they make lets say 40 hardware kits, if they get 20 dumbasses asking for one berring or one washer, then they have only 20 kits and 20 that are a damn waste.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
looks like a few of us have yeti's back covered on this one.

they may be frustratingly slow with the 303.
but ya won't be slow when you finally get your mitts on one.

and when i jumped on my DH9 when it was new, i'd just come off of two years on an M1.
first run out of the box, it was faster.

i'm still digging mine just as much this past weekend, as back then.

harbinger

Chimp
Oct 18, 2006
i know this is late but ive had my 07 303 for about 6months and have not had any problems receiving parts from yeti. best thing about it is im in the middle of the pacific here in hawaii.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I think it safe to say that mountain biking and specifically DH is a live for the now sport. I think in a way it is kind of sad really. One year your bike frame is the greatest thing since laser guided missiles and the next its IBM PC. In my opinion i think bike manufactures should keep parts around for their products for at least five years back. What are a couple of bearings, bushings and some bolts. I mean seriously to me it is a none issue. I don't own a frame company, but a DH9 is still a pretty significant frame in my opinion. You should be able to get parts for it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
let me voice my opinion on my new 303 and their GREAT service,

1. did not come with a grease gun or owners manual-called yeti and they told me that my shop stole it. ya-thats bull****. i opened the box

2. i had alot of flex in the frame when i pedaled-called yeti, that cant happen, YOUR LYING. ended up being some loose bolts

3, the adjustment for the ride height is upside down, i am not even going to call them.

BUT I LOVE THE BIKE AND WOULD SO HAVE ANOTHER

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
yeti support is awesome, they are riders too and want to see you on the trails riding your bike with no issues. they love riding and making great bikes and it shows in the ride.