Quantcast

You gotta breathe man!!!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I just finished a practice loop I do in the best time of the season.

I always slow way down after a moderate climb due to usually very labored breathing (I have a touch of asthma).

During this ride, however, I hyperventilated as hard as I could about 30 seconds before the beginning of the grade. As I reached the top, I felt much more energized than usual, and knocked about 4% off my best time... :dancing:

Anyone have any breathing technique stories/ experiences?

- Crashby

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Crashby said:
I just finished a practice loop I do in the best time of the season.

I always slow way down after a moderate climb due to usually very labored breathing (I have a touch of asthma).

During this ride, however, I hyperventilated as hard as I could about 30 seconds before the beginning of the grade. As I reached the top, I felt much more energized than usual, and knocked about 4% off my best time... :dancing:

Anyone have any breathing technique stories/ experiences?

- Crashby
Haha sounds like a good idea just don't pass out from doing it. :)

But you're touching on little tricks you can learn by listening to your body. Part of the cool knowledge you get from riding alot. :)

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
When I did swim team I would hyperventilate for 20-30 sec before my run to get an edge over my asthma. I've never done it for biking, but I know of one climb that's perfectly set up for me to try!

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i found out that if you hyperventilate while bent over untill you're light headed, then stand up, hold your breath, cross your arms over your cheat and back against a wall, and have two friends push hard on your chest, then you will pass out for up to 15 seconds. you wake up and don't know where you are. :thumb:

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I found that if you focus on your breathing more during long climbs you come out on the end better. I usually take deep, long breathe. And try and slow down the breathing.