Quantcast

You guys are aware of the federal election in Canada soon eh?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
look...white people...in canada....running sh!t.

the video did make me chuckle.

i'd vote quebec.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How the fvck do you people know everywhere I've lived?

Yeah......atlanta is JUST LIKE THAT EVERY SINGLE PLACE AND EVERYWHERE. That's not sarcastic. I mean it.

I actually convinced my girlfriend to move here with the 'you dead in a dumpster' speech.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Purchasing power, m'boy, the largest consumer market in the world. All those people buying cars, Oakleys, books, etc that they couldn't afford has to have *some* positive effect.
you left out homes.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ya know...at the risk of turning serious for a moment....

...and while I won't come right out and say our system is "better"...but....there is some merit to the parliamentary system. When you aren't voting for a specific person, but the party, the system is less susceptible to crap like Donald Trump is pulling. (or at least to my knowledge, it's never really happened where on guy can distract things so much....but I don't really know much about Canadian politics, cuz it's kinda boring....which is probably how it's supposed to be. Not a circus where the loudest, craziest frother gets the most attention.

Where am I going with this? I do not know.

Good day to you.

I said, GOOD DAY!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the 90% of voting blacks who swung for barry in the primaries didn't do so b/c they're racist; they did so b/c a white woman wouldn't best represent their plight.

and you know how much trouble a white woman can bring to a black family

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
so you don't think people vote party over person here.....or up until recently....on both sides?
I was speaking more about the "loudest craziest frother" bit. $tinkle makes a valid point about the African American vote for Obama though. Just as voting solely along party line is dumb, voting for a black guy just cause he is a black guy is stupid too. I'm not going to vote for a loud mouth angry white guy just because I'm a loud mouth angry white guy, were that true I'd have voted McCain. :disgust1:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
so you don't think people vote party over person here.....or up until recently....on both sides?
But we CAN'T vote for the guy directly. Unless you happen to live in the riding where the party leader represents, his (or her) name isn't on the ballot. You can only vote for your immediate member of parliament in your area. Whichever party wins the most ridings, gets to control parliament. Whoever happens to be the leader of the party, is Prime Minister. And a leader can step down as leader of the party, to be replaced internally.....thus becoming the new prime minister.

So there's no real "voting for the guy you'd most like to have a beer with"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
But we CAN'T vote for the guy directly. Unless you happen to live in the riding where the party leader represents, his (or her) name isn't on the ballot. You can only vote for your immediate member of parliament in your area. Whichever party wins the most ridings, gets to control parliament. Whoever happens to be the leader of the party, is Prime Minister. And a leader can step down as leader of the party, to be replaced internally.....thus becoming the new prime minister.

i see....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

Riiiiiiiiight. So NDP's rapid rise in the polls from 13% to 32% in the past couple weeks has nothing to do with Jack Layton's popularity, especially after the debate... :think:

And I think I'll pass (as always) on a parliamentary system of government. 4 elections in 7 years? Yeah, that's not exactly my idea of "stable system of governance".

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I didn't say it was better......

4 elections in 7 years may be stupid...but more than two years of campaigning per election? So more than half of someone's term is spent just campaigning for the job rather than actually doing it?