Quantcast

You know...I do have to admire the republicans...

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
We're in a world economy now, if American workers aren't keeping up with the cost of living it's because they're not keeping up with their competition (educated workers in other countries). Handouts and legislation are only short-term band-aids; we need to get off our butts and learn to truly be more productive, more efficient, more innovative, etc.

Our dumbed-down entitlement society is getting back exactly what it's putting in; not enough.
Policy should be formed around what is best for the people, not the profits of mega-corporations.

Edit: And don't even try to tell me that those interests overlap.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
You use the plurals we and ours, yet you refer to workers as they...what kind of eliteist are you?
Someone who reads books on how to improve my skills and productivity every chance I get. On the can, while eating breakfast, anywhere and everywhere, I always have a book with me. Heck I hardly ever even ride anymore, too much to learn - life is too short. If the election didn't get me so revved up, I wouldn't be wasting time here.

What doe sit tell our workers when they are paid enough to shop at WalMart, and everything there is made in China?
Always shopping for "deals" instead of paying a little more to buy American made is what got us into this situation. It elevated our standard of living in the short term, but there's a price to be paid for starting that cycle.

As a teen working in a department store in the '80s (maybe before you were born?), I found about 1/3 of people wouldn't buy something if it wasn't made in the US. That philosophy is long-gone.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Policy should be formed around what is best for the people, not the profits of mega-corporations.

Edit: And don't even try to tell me that those interests overlap.
Oh, I need some enlightenment then. So tell me who owns mega-corporation stock? Who are the tens of thousands of people who are gainfully employed there? Who typically get excellent health insurance coverage and a 401k plan, often enjoying generous employer matching?

If our government was run more like (most) major corporations this country would be in a lot better shape. But why not, believe Michael Moore propaganda. It keeps a whole lot of worthless politicians in office, burning away our tax dollars so folks can feel good about ourselves fighting for what's "right", yet accomplishing little that is actually beneficial to society. The means ARE the end, for subscribers to that "religion".

Last edited:

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Out of thousands of corporations, of course there will be some bad eggs.

Are you implying that ALL (or heck, even most) corporations hurt society more than they help? I'd be curious to hear your evidence.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Out of thousands of corporations, of course there will be some bad eggs.

Are you implying that ALL (or heck, even most) corporations hurt society more than they help? I'd be curious to hear your evidence.
I would say most, because there are a few good ones, like costco for instance.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Good article.

Note the part where the Costco representative says that by "paying more they can hire better employees" (than Wal-Mart).

So by paying more, is Costco "creating" better employees out of thin air?

Or, is it that people with better skills being paid more because they're worth more to an employer? What if the low-wage person at Wal-Mart improves himself/herself, then gets a job at Costco making more money? That could definitely happen.

Is it Wal-Mart's fault if some of their employees choose not to improve themselves (so they can demand a higher wage), and stay with Wal-Mart? Nope.

Is it Wal-Mart's responsibility to pay low-worth employees the same amount Costco pays higher-worth employees? (Making Wal-Mart a charity.) Nope.

Can people affect their own earning power/value to an employer by the choices they make in life, and how ambitious they are? Yep.

The Costco article actually supports my case, lol.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
We're in a world economy now, if American workers aren't keeping up with the cost of living it's because they're not keeping up with their competition (educated workers in other countries). Handouts and legislation are only short-term band-aids; we need to get off our butts and learn to truly be more productive, more efficient, more innovative, etc.
I was with you here.

Is it Wal-Mart's responsibility to pay low-worth employees the same amount Costco pays higher-worth employees? (Making Wal-Mart a charity.) Nope.

Can people affect their own earning power/value to an employer by the choices they make in life, and how ambitious they are? Yep.
You aren't from Thousand Oaks, are you?

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Where in the RM terms of use does it say members have to ride more than a few times per month? That would eject a lot of members who live in the snowbelt.

Trying to silence diversity? Or is a "diverse" opinion only allowed when it's in agreement with one's own beliefs?

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Here's a few hints.
- Compare minimum wage in real dollars or purchasing power when you were earning it to what it is now.
- Try to imagine what it's like for both you and your spouse to need to hold down two full-time jobs each, an hour commute from home and each other, to support your children. Then ask yourself if you'd have much time to teach anything, let alone find a new job and apply for it.
- In your community, get to know some struggling families, english speaking or otherwise. Really. Get to know them. Find out how hard working they are.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Where in the RM terms of use does it say members have to ride more than a few times per month?
I ride a few times a week and feel as if I am slacking. You had better get your priorities straight my friend.

That would eject a lot of members who live in the snowbelt.
Last year was a record winter for Chicago. I only went biking in the snow and ice a few times, because I was busy riding my snowboard. See... Riding... RIDEmonkey... get it? :lighten:

Trying to silence diversity? Or is a "diverse" opinion only allowed when it's in agreement with one's own beliefs?
Not at all, but if you would rather read a book than ride your bike, I question your judgment.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I ride a few times a week and feel as if I am slacking. You had better get your priorities straight my friend.

Last year was a record winter for Chicago. I only went biking in the snow and ice a few times, because I was busy riding my snowboard. See... Riding... RIDEmonkey... get it? :lighten:

Not at all, but if you would rather read a book than ride your bike, I question your judgment.
:clapping:

Well if snowboarding counts (I boarded for ten years), then I think surfing and BC powder skiing does too - so I'm golden.

And the reading? I'm giving myself a graduate degree on my schedule, without the expense of paying a university. I'm after the education, not the piece of paper.