Quantcast

Your 29ers in Action Shots - let's see em

ncj01

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
well, i'll toss a few in here for fun...

Self portrait, me and the bike, 75mph, somewhere in Indiana:

Self portrait wheelie across bridge

Self portrait, going over some slippery roots:

Self Portrait, nasty strair steps down:

Self Portrait, peace wheelie:

OTF in fat-boy class this spring, N8, where ya at???

Finishing same race, gettin' mad air 500 yards from finish line, OTF:

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I don't think Gumby would post this pic of himself, so I'll do it for him. I've got this one on video, but just found this shot on a friend's photo site... 4 foot drop to mostly flat...

May 9, 2006
NYC
ouch...if there's no tranny for him to land on, that's gonna be ugly...
Not as bad as it looks and it is a bad shot!
There is a tiny tranny not worth mentioning.
On all smaller hits like this I tend to nollie off and suck it up towards the end to match whatever tranny there is. Always land both wheels at the same time.
Come to think of it I use the same method on the 8' porch drop at Diablo..

Drevil

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
On all smaller hits like this I tend to nollie off and suck it up towards the end to match whatever tranny there is. Always land both wheels at the same time.
You are a certifiable badass. I've seen some of the other stuff you've done on video. Have you broken many frames? Just curious, what is the highest drop you can take with a rigid fork?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well that diablo transition is pretty pronounced, definitely not a tiny one, not worth mentioning.

if the ground is flat, hitting both wheels at the same time usually isn't a good idea; either that, or trials riders need their thinking readjusted. wheelie drops have their place if you are gonna drop to flat.

May 9, 2006
NYC
well that diablo transition is pretty pronounced, definitely not a tiny one, not worth mentioning.

if the ground is flat, hitting both wheels at the same time usually isn't a good idea; either that, or trials riders need their thinking readjusted. wheelie drops have their place if you are gonna drop to flat.
Diablo was ridden on an enduro expert, 6" travel and yep that porch drop is a no brainer.
You just roll off the decking and match the tranny. With such clean take off's and landings not a lot can go wrong.

Trials riders don't carry speed and ride hard tails. Of course they drop way bigger things as well.
If it is flat I touch the rear wheel down first but it can't be by more than a few inches. If it is a slow drop then I will wheelie drop into it and lower the front down slowly.
Not a fan of landing to heavy rear wheel first then the head bob as the front comes crashing down. Seen lots of people then go over the bars from the force.
I try to ride my bike in respect to landings the same way I do on a snowboard and that is always match the tranny.

Drevil, never broken a frame but have damaged my reba. Off the rigid fork but 2' would have been the biggest maybe. Pretty much only hit things on the KM with clear landings, no trees to bounce into etc.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Cloudcroft NM - first big jump on my 29's

roll'in over the rock Angel Fire dh

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Trials riders don't carry speed and ride hard tails. Of course they drop way bigger things as well.
If it is flat I touch the rear wheel down first but it can't be by more than a few inches. If it is a slow drop then I will wheelie drop into it and lower the front down slowly.

Not a fan of landing to heavy rear wheel first then the head bob as the front comes crashing down. Seen lots of people then go over the bars from the force.
it's all about body positioning and rear brake control. if it is a sizeable drop to flat, i'd rather NOT have speed and take it in a controlled approach. of course, my experiences are colored directly by what's available @ lynn woods and 'nam, where speed for these drops isn't much.

May 9, 2006
NYC
I love that first shot of you BCD, other than the pictures of the moth being pushed to it's limits with the fox fork and devins special hub I have not seen a 29'er go so big!

May 9, 2006
NYC
it's all about body positioning and rear brake control. if it is a sizeable drop to flat, i'd rather NOT have speed and take it in a controlled approach. of course, my experiences are colored directly by what's available @ lynn woods and 'nam, where speed for these drops isn't much.

That is great, way out of my league. I would not drop that on my hardtail 29er, might think about rolling in but you would have to see it which I hope I do, really want to visit your riding spots!!
That looks very flat and you clearly have the skillz to handle such stuff. Definately a two wheel touchdown on that would be a bad idea. The odd shots of mine that have surfaced do me way more credit than I deserve, must be the angles.. There are some awesome riders at our local spots to try and emulate and I just try to keep up!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
thanks for the props. my drops-to-flat days pretty much crested w/ that one ;)

sad to say i've not been to lynn woods this year; not enough free time.

that porch drop @ diablo is very sweet though, and i wish i was closer to diablo.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
How'd you do N8??

Not that great... but better than I thought I would.

This was my 2nd ride on this trail in over 2 years and the first time I rode it on my ss and it was my first time racing my ss.

I managed 17th/20 racers with a time of 1_hr and 11 min. The top 3 guys with gears had times in the 55-56_min range.

The top ss racer is a friend of mine who did twice the distance I did in 1_hr 42_min... his first lap time was 53_minutes...

Here he is on his Walt Works 29er SS:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Lots of 29ers being raced here in La/Tx/Ar:

Smoke on his Orbea 29er:

Hammer on his Dean Colonel 29er:

Here's a dude in a kilt racing a SoulCraft SS 29:

Another SoulCraft 29er with Jones Bars:

Alan (Expert) on his GF Race Day: