Quantcast

Your Favorite Acoustic Songs

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I really like it when bands who usually dont do acoustic stuff stick a really good acoustic song on their albums. Whats your favorite(s)?

mine is probably "swing life away" by Rise Against

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Hrm....acoustics....

I'm partial to actual acoustic music (i.e. not unplugged).

Springsteen and Yellowcard come immediately to mind as good acoustic arrangers. I'm sure there are more, but my mind is just full of stuff for class right now.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Scud Mountain Boys

A Ride
Lift Me Up
Freight Of Fire
Silos

or

Pernice Brothers

Bum Leg

or

Chappaquiddick Skyline

Hundred Dollar Pocket

off the top of my head. more if i thought about it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
Pernice Brothers

Bum Leg
put that one (off Joe Pernice's _Big Tobacco_, btw) on the cdrs i burned for SS. great song.

another beaut is Uncle Tupelo's "I Wish My Baby Was Born"...hell, anything on _March 16-20, 1992_ is a keeper. definitely one of the best cds i own.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew, probably my fave SMB song is "Glass Jaw". man pernice can write some great songs. i figured it's a given you'd also like American Music Club, but one can never be sure.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
stevew, probably my fave SMB song is "Glass Jaw". man pernice can write some great songs. i figured it's a given you'd also like American Music Club, but one can never be sure.

what the fking hell are you takling about>>>>????

nO one knows.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I'm listening to Roundabout from Yes in it's acoustic form right now and off the top of my head I'd say it's one of my favorite acoustics. Although I have to say that I like acoustics from all the big classic rock bands too (Stones, The Who, etc...)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
amateur said:
I really like the acoustic version of Everlong by the Foo Fighters
:stupid: That's my wife and I's song. I have "everlong" engraved into my ring too. They did it live on the air on knrk here in Portland when we first got together.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
That's a band I have been neglecting to listen to.

If Mr.Pernice and Mr.Cave were to tour together, I would be set for life as far as shows go.

I have a Uncle Tupelo CD rolling around in my car somewhere.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Needle And The Damage Done, probably the most powerful acoustic song ever, by Neil Young.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Too many to think of...but the whole session from blues unplugged on VH1 when they had Stevie Ray Vaughan and Joe Satriani do acoustic songs was sick...and SRV did his on a 12 string.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Neil Young stuff in general is good. I think when rock bands do acoustic covers they are usually no good.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i just listened to superchunk's acoustic version of 'detroit has a skyline too' ... but since i'm on a sabbath kick this week, i gotta say 'planet caravan'

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Saosin - "Bury Your Head", "Seven Years", "3rd Measurement In C".

Thrice - "Stare at the Sun".

Please tell me some of you guys have heard these...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sanjuro said:
Needle And The Damage Done, probably the most powerful acoustic song ever, by Neil Young.
"Thrashers" is also way up there, as is "Ambulance Blues". Neil knows how to play and write for an acoustic gtr

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Favorite? :think: That's a tough one because I listen to a lot of acoustic music. Right now it's Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow is a Long Time" as done by Nickle Creek. Simply beautiful...

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
If you like acoustic, you MUST hear "Sam Hall" by Johnny Cash. For real. Do it. It's one of his later works of art from the American Recordings days with Rick Rubin.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
JimmyTwoTimes said:
If you like acoustic, you MUST hear "Sam Hall" by Johnny Cash. For real. Do it. It's one of his later works of art from the American Recordings days with Rick Rubin.
All those records Cash did with Rubin are classics...