Quantcast

Your most disappointing bike related purchase, what was it?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Any aluminum intense bikes in the early 2000's. Maybe still but I'll never know. So much money for such terrible quality and support.
Wut? Maybe I got lucky, but I had no crooked frames, CS always replied to me in good time and tried to sort things out quickly (e.g. replacement parts when I dented a lower link) or provided me with info when I needed it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wut? Maybe I got lucky, but I had no crooked frames, CS always replied to me in good time and tried to sort things out quickly (e.g. replacement parts when I dented a lower link) or provided me with info when I needed it.
Took me almost a year to get a replacement Tazer HT, the one I got back was supposedly new but the marks in the drop outs suggested that was not the case.
Sold the "new" frame as soon as I got it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I can't find any pictures of my most disappointing purchase.
It was the custom frame I got five years after ordering, the day after it turned up I chopped it up with a grinder and sent the builder a photo of the frame in a pile.
Yeah I'm a psycho, I know.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Tubeless. I don't understand it either, as I don't have that problem with Cushcore. But both times, the tires spun true without the insert, had a huge wobble after installing the Tannus, and the wobble stayed after I took the Tannus out.

One of my buddies confronted the Tannus guys at Sea Otter, and they tried to claim it was a bad batch of Maxxis. Never mind that we've never had that issue with Cushcore.
The guys ar Rimpact claim the same thing, which is a giant load of shit.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I can't find any pictures of my most disappointing purchase.
It was the custom frame I got five years after ordering, the day after it turned up I chopped it up with a grinder and sent the builder a photo of the frame in a pile.
Yeah I'm a psycho, I know.
Lol wut?
What was it?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Not in any particular order. Some of these are old. As am I :)

1) Anything from Crankbros. Sorry. Joplin, pedals. But multitools seem to hold. Kinda hard to mess that up. Don't trust them (CB) more than I can throw them.

2) Rock Shox Judy SL - The yellow one. Had a cartridge blow up in my hand. Not cool. Bike shop knew how to re-build it tho. Still not cool.

3) Topeak electric tire pressure gauge. Literally threw it across my garage in frustration it worked so bad. Total junk.

4) Cane Creek adjustable headset. Not worth the sound of your headset about to expload.

5) Ebike rear derailleur cable & housing change. What used to be a 15 minute job is now like 2 hours. Eff you internal routing that I have to drop the motor to get to. AXS all the way.

6) Dropper post maintenance. Your 15 minute DIY vid sucks. Maybe so do I? Internal routing. Eff me. Again, AXS and a good shop to the rescue. (My AXS Reverb is awesome so far)

7) Fox forks still creaking at CSU. For fucks sake! Fix it!

8) Lack of new trails and parking in my local even tho population is going thru the roof.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I can look back at most of the stuff I use to ride and think what crap it was, but most of it was pretty damn good for the time and I can honestly say I always had a blast riding it.
Thinking back to through the 25ish years I've been riding MTBs, I'm in pretty much the same boat. Maybe I got lucky? Maybe too many people look back at their old bikes with shit-colored glasses instead of rose-colored ones? Dunno, but I had enough fun riding those POS bikes like my 2 Cannondale Super Vs that riding bikes is pretty much the only thing I've consistently done for 2.5 decades.

Then, there are definitely some shit parts being talked about in this thread, I just managed to not accidentally buy any of them.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
3) Topeak electric tire pressure gauge. Literally threw it across my garage in frustration it worked so bad. Total junk.
eff yes.

I made the mistake of buying a second because I thought the first was faulty - main complaint was the battery would be flat a few days after you'd put a fresh one in.

I've stuck with the meiser gauges since for my MTB's. I wish they had a 40 in the range though.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Lol wut?
What was it?
Just a custom DH hardtail frame for the local clubbies, the track I raced was really smooth so it was boring on a DH bike.
Was from a small frame builder who mostly made BMXs, think he's shut now.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, that one.
Shit, I have the 2011 one and ride it as my DC bike. Bought it used and it has been solid. But I did prep the frame by removing and thread locking all pivot bolts freshly after I got it. Always do this, even with new frames.
Frame has not cracked although I took it off some pretty sizable drops and overshot some landings on it. *knockonwood*

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Corsair Marque. What a piece of shit. The frame's lower linkage bottomed out against the frame before the shock reached full travel. To make matters worse, the customer service was abysmal and borderline rude. The idler pulley issues were just icing on the cake. I've made it a point to steer clear of any product Pablo or Doug are involved with ever since.

Maybe it also explains why I haven't jumped on the high pivot/idler bandwagon this time around.
Dear FSM yes. I loved the way mine rode - for the very brief time it was able to be ridden. Otherwise, fuck those guys.

Many, many issues that they basically gave me a big fat middle finger on. Sold the frame at a massive loss to some dude who wanted one for spare bits.

HAB made me a steel main pivot/idler pulley bolt because it was taking them so long to do...anything.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The 2x11 XTR FD's that basically have a wear part on them....A wear part on a FD ffs.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
old rear derailleur FTW here.
I used an MRP chainguide.
Didn't see the point of having no gears but still having dangly bits that can get broken.
Back in maybe 05 I had a DMR tensioner that had a bronze bush that had to be lubed every ride or it would vibrate like crazy.
Also had some DMR cranks that had a gap between the granny and mid ring that was 5mm bigger than it should have been. Shifting was basically impossible until I had 5mm machined off the spider.
It was amazing what people could get wrong in the olden days, $300 for cranks that didn't work properly, awesome!

Last edited:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
The guys ar Rimpact claim the same thing, which is a giant load of shit.
If you look up Maxxis tire wobble, you will find many people have had issues with bad tires (before inserts even came about). I personally have had two. I am sure this is not specific to Maxxis either. Not sure if it was in those specific cases, but it is a thing.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
If you look up Maxxis tire wobble, you will find many people have had issues with bad tires (before inserts even came about). I personally have had two. I am sure this is not specific to Maxxis either. Not sure if it was in those specific cases, but it is a thing.
The Kevlar insert breaks on impact or when installing/removing the tire, or the sidewall aramid reinforcement tears up by a heavy impact, and then the tire gets deformed as far as I can tell from my own experience. But I've also had a couple brand new HR2s wobbly right off their blister.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I've had probably two dozen various Maxxis tires over the course of 15ish years and only one of of them had a legit wobble. Maxxis sent me a new tire no questions asked.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Mine were brand new mounted one ride before the inserts. Permanent wobble after inserts. Same batch of tires I put in Cushcore and haven't had a problem.