Quantcast

Your Starbucks coffee is gonna cost more...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Starbucks Warns Of Price Hikes

SEATTLE -- Your Starbucks coffee is likely to cost more next year.

Starbucks' chief financial officer says the company's plans for 2005 are likely to include price increases at the coffee counter to respond to rising milk costs.

Starbucks hasn't raised beverage prices in nearly four years.

That news came as Starbucks announced that it beat Wall Street's earnings estimates in its fiscal third quarter.

The company says it earned $98 million, or 24 cents per share, in its fiscal third quarter.

That's up 44 percent from the $68 million, or 17 cents per share, earned in the same period a year ago.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 22 cents per share.

Starbucks is also increasing its earnings outlook for the rest of the fiscal year.

J

JRB

When you start with a fortune for your asking price it is hard to ever get an increase.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
SkaredShtles said:
It's sorta like when the cable company tells you they're gonna raise the rates. Ain't gonna affect me.......... :D

-S.S.-
yup...

Two weeks ago I went riding in Whistler and I have a real good friend (Kuma) that brought me some of the best coffe from Hawaii - 100% Kona coffee! Some of the best tasting joe I've ever had!!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Acadian said:
yup...

Two weeks ago I went riding in Whistler and I have a real good friend (Kuma) that brought me some of the best coffe from Hawaii - 100% Kona coffee! Some of the best tasting joe I've ever had!!
It was 100% Kona beans?!? Awesome.......... usually Kona coffee only shows up as about 10% Kona beans. That stuff is $$$$!

-S.S.-

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
SkaredShtles said:
It was 100% Kona beans?!? Awesome.......... usually Kona coffee only shows up as about 10% Kona beans. That stuff is $$$$!

-S.S.-
yup...he also brought a blend that had 10%, but not nearly as good!

I will check the name of the coffee once I get home, I can't remember what it was.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
reflux said:
So, I take it you've never seen the movie Airplane. Sorry bro, ya walked right into it. Awesome smiley. :thumb:

yea, ive never seen that movie before, but i have herd about 100 black women use that phrase. i totally walked into that one :help:

ZeroCool

Chimp
Jul 22, 2004
Cam-Town, Holmes!
Jeez, makes me glad I don't drink coffee! Though some morngins I wish I did...
Now a good chai-tea latte is awesome, though I suppose it has milk eh? Hence the latte...:)

0cool

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
Acadian said:
yup...

:drool: oh man I still haven't been able to find some that was as good as it was on the Island. I think Kauai has the better beans and I haven't been able to find any from that particular island other than what I brought back. Its long gone.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Crash_Tested said:
:drool: oh man I still haven't been able to find some that was as good as it was on the Island. I think Kauai has the better beans and I haven't been able to find any from that particular island other than what I brought back. Its long gone.
it's called OAHU COFFEE CO. and it's in a gold colored bag! :thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Acadian said:
it's called OAHU COFFEE CO. and it's in a gold colored bag! :thumb:
Yo, sorry to break out the Airplane line on ya, I guess it's only one of the more classic cliched lines of our time.

Acadian, where can we buy this said coffee you speak of? Thanks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i remember in the late eighties i wanted to find out what this espresso was all about. so i went to a starbucks back when they were just another shop. So i took a straight hit of espresso (y'know just a tiny cup of concentrated yuk) and that cured me of ever having a serious coffee addiction that everyone and their brother seems to have.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
There’s a Mexican (Yucatan) restaurant here in Austin that sells an Oaxacan dark roast coffee. That is some of the best coffee I have had.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Skookum said:
i remember in the late eighties i wanted to find out what this espresso was all about. so i went to a starbucks back when they were just another shop. So i took a straight hit of espresso (y'know just a tiny cup of concentrated yuk) and that cured me of ever having a serious coffee addiction that everyone and their brother seems to have.
LOL! That's too funny! :) I bet that cleaned out your innards pretty quickly. :eek: I never liked that stuff either but a real good cup of coffee goes a long way for me :)

Unfortunately, Starbuck's is the only place that I've been able to find that knows how to make a real cappucino and even then, that's hit or miss depending on the person who's making it.

A real capp should give you a nice buzz! :devil: :thumb:

And Italians don't use sugar in their coffee, at least they didn't when I was there and they scoffed at us Americans who were so wimpy with our little creams and sugars :rolleyes: :) Oh yeah, and Italian's spaghetti and pizza sucks big time! That was a real eye opener for all of us. :blah:

As for milk, man, those prices are getting CRAZY! We go through at least 4 gallons a week and milk is going on $3.80/gallon :eek: I'll be doing more grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. Their milk is $2.36/gallon. That's livable. (hmm, I wonder what they put in it to make so cheap :blah: )

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Crash_Tested said:
There’s a Mexican (Yucatan) restaurant here in Austin that sells an Oaxacan dark roast coffee. That is some of the best coffee I have had.
haha...I was just gonna bring up a similar story. There is also a Mexican restaurant here that serves kick a$$ coffee!!! Good stuff.

V

Vermont

Skookum said:
I made some coffee in a french press at work one day and one of the IT geeks was like "whats that thing?" so i a gave him a cup....he comes down an hour later shakin like a leaf....."is there an antidote?"...LMAO he said he didn't sleep at all that night...:) Seriously folks if you want to taste the richness and subtle flavors of good coffee you must drink it black. When it starts to cool down in the cup it doesn't get all nasty like milky coffee does and hey don't we have enuff added sugar in our diets :)
peace
ride on bro's

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Skookum said:
i remember in the late eighties i wanted to find out what this espresso was all about. so i went to a starbucks back when they were just another shop. So i took a straight hit of espresso (y'know just a tiny cup of concentrated yuk) <snip>
You see, that's a shame, 'cause Starbucks, from what I can tell, has never been able to make a proper shot of espresso. Take a trip to Italy and try some.... properly sugarred, of course. :D You'll be glad you did.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
KPicha said:
<snip>Unfortunately, Starbuck's is the only place that I've been able to find that knows how to make a real cappucino and even then, that's hit or miss depending on the person who's making it.
:confused: Starbucks?? Their cappucino is like an Italian latte, only with even MORE milk than a latte. A proper cappucino is served as a shot of espresso topped with a nice layer of milk foam.

And Italians don't use sugar in their coffee, at least they didn't when I was there and they scoffed at us Americans who were so wimpy with our little creams and sugars
:confused: again........ Italy was where I first saw sugar dispensers that looked to be about 10 lbs of sugar, right next to the bar. With those cool automatic-closing tops. And everyone I observed took sugar in their espresso. <shrug>

-S.S.-

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Quote:Originally Posted by Vermont
"Seriously folks if you want to taste the richness and subtle flavors of good coffee you must drink it black."

binary visions said:
:stupid:

Black coffee is the only way to go.
Agreed. If you want hot chocolate, just order a good one. Hell, mix a hot chocolate/black coffee half&half. Milk and sugar in coffee are just as adultrating as the same in hot tea. I'm American, by God- save such things for the Queen's subjects!

Both Kona and Blue Mountain are delicious, delicious coffees. Also, my former boss used to brew a mean turkish coffee in this big metal contraption.

I can't afford to drink the good stuff every day, though, so for daily, I actually like the regular old Starbucks House Blend. I pack the filter pretty tight in order to get the oil slick on, and that particular bag can be found on sale from time to time at a good price. It doesn't get too bitter and stays fairly mellow when you brew a dense cup. I don't like most of their other coffees, though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
Aint my Starbucks Coffee I don't drink that over priced crap!!
They just put a Starbucks in the town where I live. I don't understand why someone would go there and pay four bucks for a cup of coffee when you can go three blocks away and pay a buck and a half.

It's decent coffee, without a doubt, but it's not THAT good...