Quantcast

You're Doing a Great Job, But You're Fired.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Comes as a relief as the owner was the biggest asshat I'd ever worked for.

The little crusty prick was even out of the building and had the Creative Director do it, and he offered no explanation, but being the only one in the building that didn't take sh1t and towered over him while looking him in the eyes, I'm pretty sure he didn't need anyone with a backbone in his company.

Ah well, get drunk for a couple days, redesign my portfolio and move onward and upward.

:monkeydance:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Wow that really blows. I hate it when managers can't even suck it up and fire someone directly. It leaves too many open questions.

I'm sure better things are just around the corner.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm sure better things are just around the corner.
I've rebounded from worse situations, but that's the thing - the owner has cast away several great people. Everyone hates the fukker and his crusty, chain smoking, idiot wife, and live in fear for their jobs. Most have kids and/or are upside down in their mortgages, and just put up with bullsh1t for those 2 paychecks a month.

Saddest way to run a company I have ever seen.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I hope you broke, stole or raped something on the way out.

Going to Omaha? Or still plenty of job opportunities out in AZ?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I hope you broke, stole or raped something on the way out.

Going to Omaha? Or still plenty of job opportunities out in AZ?
I thought about fuggin up a server or two, but this town's too small to burn bridges and it would only leave more work for the people I care about there.

The CD was cool too. There was no need for me to be frog marched out of the building, so I showed the IT guy and another designer what I had going on on my machine.

Omaha's an option, as I can have a job there if I want one, but now surre if I can handle the winters. The Phoenix market is rough now, but this place feels like home after 11 years.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Are you going to be doing freelance work until you find another job? I have a publication that I've been working on but I'm definitely no graphic artist. If I could find someone to do it for fairly cheap, I'd probably spend my time elsewhere.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Dude, that sucks. Phoenix is going to have some tough times in the near future, omaha might be the better bet. The city gov is looking at cutting 30% from most departments, and even public safety might take a hit.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
damn Stinky, that sucks!

good luck, and may the time off be just long enough to recharge your batteries without draining the bank account!

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
sounds like you're better off without them. i saw your stuff in the another thread and i'm sure you'll find something sooner than later. maybe move to the east coast? i considered a job switch and had 3 offers in a week. didn't take them, but it makes you feel good. (this was a year ago, so I don't know what the market looks like now)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Sh*t... that sucks man!

Wel hopefully something else will pop up soon - but as other have said, it's a tough market right now.

Let me know if ya need anything... if I can help I will.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
and live in fear for their jobs. Most have kids and/or are upside down in their mortgages, and just put up with bullsh1t for those 2 paychecks a month.
You just described 90% of the workforce out there today. Sorry to be negative but, I am one of those absolutely hating my job right now.

The only reason I am holding on to this job is that it is the most money I've ever made. Given the economic situation, I'm basically a holding on to it with both hands even though I hate it and I can see our incompetent owner/CEO running us into the ground. It's a scary situation. Hanging on and taking the dollars while they are still flowing.........

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Best wishes man! Kinda the reason I didn't pursue an art career. My best friend back in Illinois pursued it and ran his own business for about 15 years. He did well enough with it. Maybe a thought.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Shtty news there mate, but it honestly sounds like a godsend.

Become a surfer - when I was an unemployed surfer, I had the best times of my life.

Good luck with the future.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The ad industry still hasn't seen the worst of it yet. :dead:

Someone somewhere needs some pixels pushed. Ya just gotta find 'em.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Well, you could use this as the time to prepare for your new job as Smokey in the real life Smokey and the Bandit.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Dude, jobs are like wives or cars. They come and go... :banana:
I'm just saying that next time you hook up with a hot chick, you might as well just give her half your money and stuff the next day, never talk to her again, and save yourself a lot of time and hassle.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
DPS needs foto van drivers
gen'l dynamics is in a hiring frenzy (assuming you can a piss test)
and don't forget about ICE

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Hooray, just lined up some freelance projects by sending a random email to a company that wanted me to do some work for them months ago. Hell, maybe I will go freelance again. No politics, work in my boxers, happy hour can start whenever I want...

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
bump, if only to learn about the optimism and faith in the economy one must maintain in order to quit a job only six months after being let go from another in the midst of the worst financial crisis blah blah blah.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
bump, if only to learn about the optimism and faith in the economy one must maintain in order to quit a job only six months after being let go from another in the midst of the worst financial crisis blah blah blah.

Being single, no kids and having everything paid off helps. :monkeydance: