Quantcast

Yourfirst job....I can't believe this place is still around...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The Airlie Foundation

They left out the part about Dr. Head and problems with the law.

Most memorable experience.....The guy who drank to much and they found him floating face down in the lake.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My first job was working for a guy who owned a greenhouse. Guy was a world class whackjob, invented some stories about my friend and I smoking weed in his greenhouse and told several of the parents of my friends.

Situation ended up resolved after I yelled at him and his wife long enough to make them embarrassed and they called everyone and admitted their lies.

Found out the other day that the guy's wife got pissed at him, divorced him and she and her lawyer took everything he owned - the house, the greenhouse business, everything.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My first paying job began when I was 11 or so. Out in the hot ass fields cutting tobacco with the mexicans. $10/hour was GOLD when you're that young. I also got a hell of a tan and my major disdain for lazy workers there.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
It's not hard to believe these guys are still around. They are the best. I learned how to do just about every step in the process of making a pair of moc's while I worked for them. Twelve years later, I'm still wearing a pair that I made for myself from start to finish shortly before I left their employ.

http://www.arrowmoc.com/

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's not hard to believe these guys are still around. They are the best. I learned how to do just about every step in the process of making a pair of moc's while I worked for them. Twelve years later, I'm still wearing a pair that I made for myself from start to finish shortly before I left their employ.

http://www.arrowmoc.com/
Haha! Thats the music from last of the mohicans. Ive been looking for a good set of moccasins for a while now. I want some that will last, however. These really good?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Aside from shoveling driveways and cutting lawns and stuff, my first job was a paper route. From there I was a bike shop guy all through junior high, high school, college, and grad school.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Throwing away perfectly good beer after a large wedding was the best part of working there.

It is also where I learned most white people shouldn't dance.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
My dad would drive me out to the middle of the field. Park. Take the keys and say: "Pick rocks. When the truck is full, come and get me". Then he'd walk home. Repeat. At least he'd take the quad back out the the truck...

First official job was the operator/driver for the 2 man crew that cut all the lawns for the schools in our school division.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Haha! Thats the music from last of the mohicans. Ive been looking for a good set of moccasins for a while now. I want some that will last, however. These really good?
Unbelievably good. Not exactly cheap, but worth every penny. You can also send them back to be resoled when they wear through. I wear mine more often than just about any pair of shoes I own. Just take care of them well and they can last you a lifetime. Read the FAQ page for some care tips.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First job was at the now defunct department store Caldors. Worst job ever. Continuously yelled at by retarded customers and managers and I was the only person there who did anything. All for $3.75/hour. Job market sucked when I was 15.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My first job was working for a guy who owned a greenhouse. Guy was a world class whackjob, invented some stories about my friend and I smoking weed in his greenhouse and told several of the parents of my friends.
My first teenage job also includes weed. I worked on a horse farm, mowing grass, maintaining and building fences, building equestrian jumps, etc. I was just a general farm hand. One day I came to work and found out that the farm manager (my boss) had been arrested for growing marijuana on the farm. Time to look for a new job.

On that same job, I worked with an illegal Haitian refugee named Nick. He had to shake your hand every time he saw you, even if you'd gone to lunch for an hour and came back to work. If you went to shake his hand with a glove on, he would pull his hand away and give you a cross look until you took your glove off. Nice guy, but it was very awkward. After our boss got fired, he left. Next I heard about him, I read in the newspaper that he had gotten arrested for living in his car in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and that he was deported back to Haiti where he was either killed or jailed upon his return.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My first job was working in apple orchards around 4th grade or so. My first real job, not for my dad, was on a concrete tilt-up construction crew when I was 16

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My first job was at Bilson's Sport Shop as a bike/skate rat @ 13. I built stationary bikes and stocked Nash skateboards for about 3 months before I got to do anything remotely meaningful in the shop.

They were the only "bike" shop outside of the downtown area. But they sold more guns than bikes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Aside from lawn mowing, painting for friends, etc. my first job was at the lbs. I think I was 16. I worked there until I was 19 or 20...I might be going back for the summer/spring this year as well...

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
First job I had was when I was around 8yrs old doing landscaping with my grand father. My mom thought I was too young to work the lawn mower :) First job on the books was working for a concrete plant at the ripe old age of 14. I would get sick to the stomach spraying oil in the concrete molds, and I still have scars from bending the wire mesh. I bought my first pair of steel toed boots for the job, and they protected my toes when a pile of steel mesh fell on my foot. I wore them for another 8 years until the steel shown through and my job bought me a new pair, never had a pair that was so comfortable and worn in though.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
first for me was trimming trees with my dad and grandfather, not bad for being 12, $20 was like pure gold then.

first real job for me was working at Mars Supermarkets as the parcel pick up guy, it sucked some days, but i got to be outside and it was easy.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Mine was concession stand in a zoo, but it was more like our own personal hangout since I worked there with like 6 of my friends from highschool and two hot college girls. The best part was the golf cart that we modified to be able to hit blazing fast speeds and fishtail around corners while running errands.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Outside of cutting corn out of soybean fields, my first job was working at a Dairy Queen. $0.99 an hour and anything you could eat in a 15 minute break period (think large shake cup full of hot fudge and peanuts).

I still can't stand that sh*t to this day! :disgust1:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I went ahead and put down all of the jobs I've had while not playing drums:

9-12 years old: 2 paper routes (at the same time - I had a very loaded bike)
14-16 years old: Outdoor produce market - swept the floors and stocked the shelves.
16 years old: Christmas tree lot (the produce market shut down in Dec for trees) - nailed stands on trees all day.
16-17 years old: General labor for a contractor
17-19 years old: Commercial drywall hanger (ugh)
17-19 years old: Misc construction work
19-28 years old: Screen printing (various shops at various times from 1989 to 1998)
28-33 years old: Bike shop mechanic at misc shops (good off-tour job)
30-31 years old: Stage hand
31-32 years old: Corporate event project manager
32-33 years old: Lighting equipment rental manager
33-36 years old: Purchasing agent for outdoor clothing mfr.

Presently: Shipping manager and default IT guy at a vineyard nursery.

Also my wife and I have a small business that will hopefully make enough money soon so we can stop the day jobs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What is the best/worst job you people have had?

Best: Worked residential construction/roofing during college summers. Physically the hardest but very rewarding, exercised the body and mind.

Worst: Tie between being a dishwasher and a job I had running a campground. The campground job was easy and I spend most of the time chemically intoxicated but for two weeks while the maid was on vacation I had to clean the public womens bathrooms/showers. The horrors I saw in that womens room will haunt me to the day I die. Women have to hover over public toilets because they seem to be splattered with **** and piss, I can only guess that comes from the hovering.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Worst: Art Director Idea Studio. Job Description, everything. The place had a talentless yet cocky Sr. Art Director who'd bark orders to do things the way he would do them, i.e. like the same old boring, uninspired crap. Ridiculous hours in order to get crazy workload done. I worked 24 hours straight several times at this place. Took naps on keyboard, etc. Understaffed, underpaid, under-appreciated, overworked, overrated. And to top things off; they had an office cat that would piss in my office.

Best: Lifeguard at Meadow Brook country club. Never more than 10 swimmers at a time in the pool. Free food. Free tan. Awesome hours.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Worst job was probably working for my dad's company for a while. Some of it was fine, but I did have to (no kidding) shovel frozen eggshells in Alabama for a while. That sucked.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Best: Tie. Threw garbage and dug graves* for a summer. Hard work, but I got to hang out with a good buddy most of the time. Good times. My current one...pays well, I like being downtown, and I like the work I do.

Worst: Dishwasher.

*Funny story - I wiped out on a guy once. We had to jump down and pack the dirt in around the coffin so that when we dumped the load from the front end loader, the box wouldnt explode. Guy had a fiberglass box around his coffin so it wouldnt cave in over time and it was ultra slippery with the sand we had shovelled in. I jumped in and BAM...was on my back. kind of an eerie feeling!

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I started with a paper route, but my first job that required more then 1hr of work was working in the kitchen at a Boy Scout Camp

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
Best: Tie: LBS at the age of 14, i hung around so often that they finally just gave me a job. Sooooo many life lessons learned there that wouldn't be put into practice until late in HS. Other being my current job, in store tech for sears. I get to play around with anything in the store that i want to and get any work tool i can justify for free, and my discount on home tools. That and i make all of the clearance tags for returned merch. so i know what is here before anyone else, and what is/was wrong with it.

Worst: Line cook at local fitness/entertainment place. Wierd hours and people yelling in several types of spanish and broken english, and one awesome black lady that would threaten the fry guy with a huge spoon when he talked s**** about me in spanish. I worked there for appx one week at the same time as working as a cook in a pizzaria, just too much for that time.

JP

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I worked at McDonalds for two weeks in high school. To this day the thought of eating a Mcnugget sicks me out as we used to just stand around eating them. If food was dropped or somehow soiled it was thrown into this large container and at the end of the night we had to go through it by hand to count the waste.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Worst job: Garbage man for the summer, rotten meat left out in the sun is the worst smell ever.

Best Job: The one I'm at now, I get along with everyone and the work isn't that bad.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Worst: insulating crawlspaces in the summer in 120 year old houses. Getting spiders and fiberglass in my ears and mouth and sweating till I couldn't see.

Best: assembling bikes at a shop that had an outdoor patio workbench. Blasting heavy metal and wrenching on bikes while watching college chicks walk by in the spring time. Sigh.