Quantcast

yup another which bike should I get thread

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The time has come for me to start researching/shopping a bigger travel downhill bike.

my only full suspension experience is on 2 different trek fuels, my current Kona Coiler, and a parking lot ride on a "Astrix", and a quick parking lot ride/sit down on an intense socom. Neither of the rides on those bikes was long enough to get a feel for them and I was in a parking lot just messing around.

For the sake of Brand Loyalty I'd like to consider the trek session, the giant glory seems like a nice bike, as does the Demo 8, I also like the looks of the V-10. I will be buying used, so any other "good" proven designs will be considered.

1. I'm 5-10"
2. 180 lbs
3. I don't know how to explain my riding style, I'm not one of those guys who is super smooth and catches air a lot, but I am not a straight up bulldozer either.
4. Budget is a concern, but I do want as new as possible.

I don't really understand all the different suspension designs and their characteristics.

Trail style locally is mainly washed out braking bumps, rutted mess. Where I also ride a lot just a few more hours north is very rocky, some drops, etc.

Everything is currently being ridden on my kona coiler, but I would like something a bit more plush and would also like to try and start hitting up some of the east coast races, (a couple a year), most likely platty, blue mountain, diablo, snow shoe, etc. as those are the closest to my house.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
1- How much do you want to spend?
2- Are you pedalling at all?

Theres alot of nice bikes I see V-10s for a good price on pinkbike and I see Giants and specialized here and randomely on craigslist...
They are all nice all different and all have pros/cons and those vary from rider and style...

So I asked this years ago as did alot of us and it always breaks down to the most irritating answer LMAO...

Go out and ride a few and find the one that fits you....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
1- How much do you want to spend?
2- Are you pedalling at all?

Theres alot of nice bikes I see V-10s for a good price on pinkbike and I see Giants and specialized here and randomely on craigslist...
They are all nice all different and all have pros/cons and those vary from rider and style...

So I asked this years ago as did alot of us and it always breaks down to the most irritating answer LMAO...

Go out and ride a few and find the one that fits you....
1. Budget is yet to be determined, but I am willing to spend $2000-$3000 if I have to, but would prefer to spend less.
2. No, this will be a lift served, shuttle bike only, as I will be keeping my Kona Coiler, and I also have a hardtail XC bike.

Going out and riding a few really isn't going to be super feasible, I wish it was as it is the best advice that could be given. None, and I mean NONE of my local bike shops even stock anything as big as my kona, and on lift served days I don't yet know anyone I have ridden with well enough to ask to jump on their $5g bike.

None of my mountain biking friends i've had for years are migrating this direction, they are all content to stick with XC riding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Get a used ih sunday with a good part spec. They are cheap, most ppl feel good on them and with a properly tuned damper the rear works good. Very good base for a start.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Get a used ih sunday with a good part spec. They are cheap, most ppl feel good on them and with a properly tuned damper the rear works good. Very good base for a start.
I thought the IH Sundays were no longer made and parts availability was a concern?

I do not want to get into a situation where replacement parts are a concern, I may never break a sunday, but not something I want to have to worry about.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
X2

they are pretty solid cheap and you can find other frames out there to part out if needed... They were a pretty universal fit for alot of people...

Theres a ton that WERE NEVER RIDDEN to there potential or hammered on with such a huge fan boy following... Makes it nice for spares :D...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
http://slo.craigslist.org/bik/1870913802.html

that is a 2003 M1 a killer bike. It has been built for about a year now. I used to own it and had to sell to pay daycare. The build kit is pretty good....... dirt cheap also. It is a size LARGE....

I would spend a decent amount. You can find pretty nice bikes for $2K used.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you are concerned about parts (not that you should be - as explained above) you could always get a 07+ DHR. Solid bikes and they are backed up by a company with one of the best CS in the industry.

For example.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-15238/

You will find a lot of used ones for cheap because lately the frame price is pretty low.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
if buying used, brand loyalty shouldnt be of a concern.
Disagree....but that's me. I didn't say I was buying due to great warranty or customer service. My trek has served me extremely well and I am happy with it, so i will strongly consider another one. My kona has been a good bike, but I am not as interested in their offerings.

How is the sizing on the Demo's? I have seen a lot of smalls for sale, with people up to 6' claiming to be comfortable on them and it being a good fit....

I typically ride mediums and for downhill type trails do like a slightly smaller bike, is a small way to small for someone at 5'10? I wear a 32 inseam pant in most cases to give an idea.

Seems of the trek the demo and the glory the demo is the favorite?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
what about the intense socom or m6? seen a couple of those in my price range....how do I know which bike is gonna suit my style of riding a little better than another?

I'm sure I will be faster on any of them than my kona, but figuring out which is more my style is kinda tough when I don't have all 5 or 6 in front of me to test ride back to back.