Quantcast

Z1 Fr I Eta

jeff

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
Longview, Tx
I just bought a new 2005 Z1 FR I ETA for my Heckler. I have done nothing to the fork except but it on the bike and go for a ride. I was under the impression that the stock springs would be very plush for my weight(195 pounds). However the fork is really stiff, not plush at all. On my first ride I barely used half of the forks travel (this is a 150 mm fork).

Is this normal for the fork to be this stiff at first and then it will get broken in and plusher or is there something else I needed to do to this fork before riding it?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'm 210 and have an 04. It takes a bit to break them in, but they get buttery smooth after a while.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Try taking the rebound knob off with a 2.5mm allen. Then push the air-assist valve pin in. There might be some air pressure buildup from the factory or just from the fork sitting for so long before you bought it. It doesn't take much air pressure at all to make your fork a lot stiffer. 15psi would make your fork almost rigid. I have an 04 Z1 Freeride, which is almost identical to your z1 FR1, just an inch less travel. I prefer to run it with no air in the air assist, because the fork just feels better. If I'm dirt jumping I put about 5psi in there. If that's not the case with your fork, it probably just needs to be broken in.