Quantcast

z150FR on an older AC2?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
getting my cracked chainstay replaced by giant, so my plans for a new frame are put off for another season. i would like to put some cash into a new fork though. leaning towards the z150fr. i know that DC forks are a no-no due to the super thinwalled aluminum tubes, but has anyone heard of issues using a 6" fork on these frames?

thanks!

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
i've heard that it's alright to put a DC on it, They just said not to becasue they hadn't tested it yet. Now they spec a DC on it and i believe there was no change in the frame. But i could be wrong thats just what i've heard.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I've heard the same, and seen plenty of AC's sporting a Boxxer fork, so getting away with a DC is doable... Just keep in mind that you'll probably push the bike harder, and be more likely to crack it (again) when you run a bigger fork.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
My buddy Aaron has been running a Z150FR on his AC for about 1.5-2 years and he's loving it. It seems very appropriate on the bike.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
You couldn't put a DC fork on an older AC because the torsional forces put on the headtube would bend it. Not when riding but when wrecking you could wrench your head tube to the side and then you cry.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Mattoid said:
cry? or rejoice?
cry cause your screwed and can't ride the rest of the day.

rejoice later because you are rid of the crappy frame.

disclaimer: i owned an AC1 for 8 months and it was a good first full squish. just had crappy suspension design and even crappier chainline :(

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I have an 03 AC2 that I have a sherman slider+ on at the moment. What the Giant rep told me is That Giant didnt test the AC with DC forks at first. Now after being tested they will still warranty frames that have been run with the DC fork. Also the AC feels even better with the 7 inch fork than it did with the psylo that came with it. I run mine with a 24 inch rear wheel to make up for the steepish head angle. But even with all this it's still just a "mini" downhill bike. :D

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
The Rose said:
I run mine with a 24 inch rear wheel to make up for the steepish head angle.

So you are still running the 24 eh? I was gonna try that for the same reasons as you but got a great deal on DeeMax wheels instead. I'd like it raked out a bit more too.

Chris

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
mobius said:
rejoice later because you are rid of the crappy frame.

disclaimer: i owned an AC1 for 8 months and it was a good first full squish. just had crappy suspension design and even crappier chainline :(
You hit that exactly correct! I've been hammering the shyt outa mine for a year and the damn thing won't break. Just flexes at the swing arm. Rides really plush though :D

Chris

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
yeah, I'm still running the 24. At first I was hesitant to try it so I laced an old hub to a rim I got from a friend just in case I didnt like it. The difference it made in the way the bike handled was great. I had people tell me that the 24 will slow me down in the rocky sections and the bike will sit too low. I never noticed any difference in the rocks and the lower BB helped make the bike a bit more stable. Also if you use a bolt on rear axle it will help stiffen up the rear end.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I had an AC air that I ran a monster T on for like 2 years.
It was awsome.

I did manage to break the chainstay, though.
Got a new one, kept on dropping it.