Quantcast

Zee derailleur for 7 speed conversion

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
The zee derailleur comes in 2 versions, 1 for road cassettes and 1 for mountain cassettes. If I were to run an 11-36 cassette without the big 3 cogs, which zee would work better? I'm really just wondering what the difference between the zee derailleurs is.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Technically, you should use the wide range, mountain version, as the cogs you'll be running will be positioned closer together than the sane-sized cogs would be on a road cassette. However, since the bigger changes in cog size happen in those larger cogs you'll be discarding, I'd put money in either working equally well.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
So the difference is in the angle the parallelogram moves across? That's what I thought I remember reading back when I bought my first zee derailleur, but I can't find it now. Thanks a lot.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You'll get better chain wrap if you're running a narrow range road cassette with the road version, and better shifting because there's less gap between the cassette and the guide pulley of the derailleur.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Zee-Bracket.gif
this bracket is the only difference between the two. I run a DH version on my DH bike with an 11-36 cassette with 4 cogs removed and it works great. These brackets can be used on other derailleurs. I'm fairly certain the cages, derailleur bodies and clutch mechanisms are also interchangeable with all goups but XTR. Here's an example of such a Frankenderailleur:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The Zee comes in DH and FR versions, they have similar chain capacity but the FR lets you use bigger cogs because it places the jockey wheels further away from axle. Those brackets above are for Saint RD, the Zee brackets cannot be replaced IIRC.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Those brackets above are for Saint RD, the Zee brackets cannot be replaced IIRC.
Incorrect. The Saint only has one bracket, and changes modes by bolting on/removing a small piece to the bracket. The Zee has two different brackets, which can be swapped.