Quantcast

«««««« Thursday - yes, can you believe ∑∑∑∑∑∑∑

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey man lmao. I ran on the high school track this morning to the tune of six miles. Humid as moist balls out there. WFH day and I'll climb on the KICKR later, assuming it will rain.

Re: Linkedin, it's got its usefulness. I am not an active user, but I keep my profile current and I got my current job because of it. I had my job status set to "Interested in opportunities" and HR from the new job contacted me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yellow Jackets are pretty much the only critter I will happily destroy on sight. Noticed a new nest in front of my house. With dry conditions and proximity to the house fire is out of the question and I prefer not to use poisons. My go to method of flooding them out when I was in Virginia does not work as the ground drains too well here. Dumped a bunch of diatomaceous earth on the nest. Does work fast but it does seem to work. Nothing comes out when stomp on the ground, just the odd forager returning confused.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yellow Jackets are pretty much the only critter I will happily destroy on sight. Noticed a new nest in front of my house. With dry conditions and proximity to the house fire is out of the question and I prefer not to use poisons. My go to method of flooding them out when I was in Virginia does not work as the ground drains too well here. Dumped a bunch of diatomaceous earth on the nest. Does work fast but it does seem to work. Nothing comes out when stomp on the ground, just the odd forager returning confused.
ever try smoking them out?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
during the early days of hunter biden's ukranian wuhan lab leaked covid virus, when I had spray bottles of isopropyl alcohol around, I discovered that absolutely destroyed them.

I bought 5 gallons of paint stripper grade shit but you can incapacitate a whole hanging nest with a few squirts

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
during the early days of hunter biden's ukranian wuhan lab leaked covid virus, when I had spray bottles of isopropyl alcohol around, I discovered that absolutely destroyed them.

I bought 5 gallons of paint stripper grade shit but you can incapacitate a whole hanging nest with a few squirts
Ground nest. The entrance always takes a winding path so spraying shit in there usually doesn't do much. Filling the entrance with diatomaceous earth will kill anything going in or out and definately the ones who try to dig open the entrance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ground nest. The entrance always takes a winding path so spraying shit in there usually doesn't do much. Filling the entrance with diatomaceous earth will kill anything going in or out and definately the ones who try to dig open the entrance.
I'd still poor a bunch of something flammable in there and light it

just for fun

should make a fun little fire cannon on the exit, and if you're lucky, hear some tiny agonizing screams of a tortuous death

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd still poor a bunch of something flammable in there and light it

just for fun

should make a fun little fire cannon on the exit, and if you're lucky, hear some tiny agonizing screams of a tortuous death

Yeah, what could go wrong?

1692290964517.png

Actually diatomaceous earth kills them by making thousands of microscopic cuts into their exoskeleton causing them to dehydrate and die. Seems a lot more tortuous than just fire.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
In case one does not have diatomaceous earth on hand you could also pour gas down the hole. Not much, 1/2 cup max or shove a gas soaked rag into the entrance. No need to light it because the fumes kill them. Do it at night when all the little bastards are in the hive. But it’s really not good for the soil.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Have had good luck with this destroying yellowjackets: deltamethrin - not sure how it's different from the stuff you used...

* @SkaredShtles has entered the chat. *
Doesn't work. :homer:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have had good luck with this destroying yellowjackets: deltamethrin - not sure how it's different from the stuff you used...

Doesn't work. :homer:
Diatomaceous earth isn't toxic, it works mechanically. It is basically microscopic hypodermic needles from the shells of single cell critters. Only works on the small scale of insects so it isn't going to bother anything on a larger scale, although I do not want to breath in that dust. Works well for ants too, especially when you have a dog that thinks ant bait traps are chew toys.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Diatomaceous earth isn't toxic, it works mechanically. It is basically microscopic hypodermic needles from the shells of single cell critters. Only works on the small scale of insects so it isn't going to bother anything on a larger scale, although I do not want to breath in that dust. Works well for ants too, especially when you have a dog that thinks ant bait traps are chew toys.
its also inexpensive. my local lowes sells it $14 for a 4lb bag

Half a cup of gasoline followed by a match has been a successful practice to me.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just got a text that a buddy's boss recommended that I provide him a resume. Apparently being told that I have a broader scope of knowledge and am even better with clients than he is cemented it. Boss is hoping to have my reaume early next week.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy hell, 2 hour paired programming, but we got shit to work, so there is that. Still a lot to do, but shit works, so that's a step in the right direction.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just got a text that a buddy's boss recommended that I provide him a resume. Apparently being told that I have a broader scope of knowledge and am even better with clients than he is cemented it. Boss is hoping to have my reaume early next week.
ask for a ludicrous amount of money.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
With all respect, both due and undue, the people reccomending fire as a way to get rid of the yellow jackets need to stay the fuck out of the PNW. We are one idiot with a stupid idea away from a repeat of the 2020 fires.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With all respect, both due and undue, the people reccomending fire as a way to get rid of the yellow jackets need to stay the fuck out of the PNW. We are one idiot with a stupid idea away from a repeat of the 2020 fires.
Hummidity hit the teens yesterday. House a few blocks from me burnt to the ground yesterday as well as neighborhoods evacuated in Lakewood

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If I, a californian who's evacuated twice in the last 3 years due to monsterous wildfires can suggest gasoline, anyone can.

Why? Because I don't live there :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hummidity hit the teens yesterday. House a few blocks from me burnt to the ground yesterday as well as neighborhoods evacuated in Lakewood
Timing sounds perfect

Wait for a bellevue directional wind. Maybe scatter some lawn trimmins across the bridge

that's definitely 'east side' humidity'
Kinda nuts being that close to the lake, the ocean and literal rain forests

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
How many wasps you think he's dealing with?

:D
I buy it it terms of number of chickens.
1000001617.gif

doesn't rot, burn (as easily) or get moldy

what's the problem?

that's what all the rich fucks build their castles with round these parts
I have a very vivid recollection of my dad, a career NPS fire fighter, bringing home a full size truck load of those shingles that had been removed from employe housing, and then using them as fuel for every back yard BBQ and shindig bonfire for the rest of my childhood.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Who on earth even insures you and what must your premiums be?

Before I elected for earthquake insurance it was less than $300/year. Big fires haven't been a problem in the city as there are a lot of fire departments and fire breaks with all the roads. The biggest fire risk around here seems to actually be from homeless camps. People cooking on open fires in areas congested with flammable materials. My friend who lives in the 'burbs next to a greenway is terrified of fires and has to evacuate a few times a year. It also helps that I have a fire station 300 feet away.