Quantcast

«««««« Thursday - yes, can you believe ∑∑∑∑∑∑∑

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have a very vivid recollection of my dad, a career NPS fire fighter, bringing home a full size truck load of those shingles that had been removed from employe housing, and then using them as fuel for every back yard BBQ and shindig bonfire for the rest of my childhood.
just looked it up......apparently it's treated heavily to get the fire resistance I was thinking of

I can tell you from burn scars, cedar trunks will often still exist where most pine and fir trees are just gone

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
doesn't rot, burn (as easily) or get moldy

what's the problem?

that's what all the rich fucks build their castles with round these parts
With a few exceptions all the new construction and remodels use hardiboard. My, and most of the houses around here have cedar shingles that may be original to the house when built 100 years ago. And the cedar probably came from the trees that were cleared to build the houses in the first place. The first thing built in this town (before it got annexed by Seattle) was the lumber mill the wood in my house came from.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Before I elected for earthquake insurance it was less than $300/year. Big fires haven't been a problem in the city as there are a lot of fire departments and fire breaks with all the roads. The biggest fire risk around here seems to actually be from homeless camps. People cooking on open fires in areas congested with flammable materials. My friend who lives in the 'burbs next to a greenway is terrified of fires and has to evacuate a few times a year. It also helps that I have a fire station 300 feet away.
Fair point. We live near a Greenway and the hood was briefly evacuated last year (two years? :confused: ) ago because some ding-dong dumped his hot can over the fence on a windy day.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's the trucks leaving on a call that I always get full audio blasts of
how often they post up on various street corners standing with the boot out looking for donations....

and if you dont pitch money....they know everyone in town...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Hi friends. Is this the reckless arson thread?
i do know someone.....his girlfriends mothers boyfriend set a pile of brush on fire somewhat close to their house and walked away...pooof in about 5 minutes....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, Phil’s World is thuper duper fun. Great local tour, perfect temps, perfect trail moisture.
Wifey was ecstatic. Just what she likes.
I can see how some people not love it if it was too hot out, though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just rode up at a trail intersection on my dirtbike. There were two east bay looking dudes in their 50s with mountainbikes that I recognized as being very expensive. I said Hi how's it going as they stared at their phones and ignored me. I said howdy again. Nothing. One looked up from his hellastrava or some shit scowling at me and just said "is there anyone else behind you?"

I said yeah, five or six, I don't quite remember, some of them beginners so it might be a while, better wait here.

And then I left for the rest of my solo ride.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
yeah, we've been staying in the blue ridge area for the past few years. so much great hiking. feels a lot like le pisgah but maybe less populated in general?
I gotta admit, Hiawassee looked like a place I could live. Not sure about mount biking trails though. Great outdoor town that's super hiker friendly. Picturesque surroundings.