Quantcast

••• taco Tuesday gmt •••

you should combine the two sports in some sort of unholy biathlon.

(Actually I'd love to do mountain bike biathlon...maybe handguns carried in frame bags, with IPSC style course segments...)
My brother is a golfing idiot, I have for a while had the idea of setting up a course on wooded land that I own, course meaning no greens or sand traps or that sort of horseshit, just start here, loft one over the top of that cliff, clamber up, find the ball, the hole's indicated by a stake surrounded by whatever happens to be on the ground at the time...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
San Diego tonight, hopefully we can find some good Indian food near the airport...
Bombay in Hillcrest used to be the best. I know the founding owner left and don't know if it's still there. But having lived in both SD and India, it's where I'd go. Not too far from airport.

EDIT Internet says permanently closed. :mad:

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Do you know much about taxes differences between states?
I didn't put the /s. State taxes in AZ are comparatively super low vs. the rest of the country. It's actually really important in my job because a decently large number of people will retire to a given destination based on tax rates. FL and TX are perfect examples. People ignore the brutally high property tax levels because the state income taxes are 0%.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My brother is a golfing idiot, I have for a while had the idea of setting up a course on wooded land that I own, course meaning no greens or sand traps or that sort of horseshit, just start here, loft one over the top of that cliff, clamber up, find the ball, the hole's indicated by a stake surrounded by whatever happens to be on the ground at the time...
I mean, that is what the original game of golf was. No perfectly manicured tracks, just a buncha drunk Scottish guys smacking balls around in fields.

was it payne stewart who died unconcious in a lear jet along with the pilot and a couple other people....
Dunno about the unconscious part, tough to ask, but yep, that was him.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorta between the Breville Barista Express, Calphalon Temp iq which seems to be very similar to the Breville but cheaper, or Gaggia Classic Pro. Seems silly to go too much higher end than that, one of my mom's friends is apparently a Jura rep, but even if I got a pretty decent discount they're out of my league. They'd all be a huge step up from my Delonghi.

I dig the idea of a built in grinder so I have one less thing cluttering my counter/hogging outlets, and the metered water so I don't do what I always do and run the water too long and water down my shot.
ooooo. i went through this maybe 2 years ago. wound up with the gaggia classic pro, have been very happy with it. it was a bit of a learning curve at first, but it was a new machine and i was getting things dialed in. one of the big draws for me is the availability of repair parts if something breaks (worth noting: the prior version - the original gaggia classic - was on the market for something like 30 years and was supported the entire time). it's a very good quality beginner machine. i didn't look at either of the other models you listed as i wasn't looking for a 2 in 1 machine. one thing about the 2 in 1 semi-automatics (espresso machine with grinder) is that if you're unhappy with one portion - the grinder or the boiler/pump - you are basically stuck or will be replacing the whole thing. i had a good enough quality manual hand grinder when i first got the gaggia that i got by. the quality was good, just took labor and time. my plan was to eventually get a good quality grinder, which I did and picked the sette baratza 270wi. i've also been very happy with that (although it did cost more than the gaggia). i do agree with the notion that money is typically better spent on a high quality grinder than espresso machine, because a good machine and technique can't compensate for a so-so (inconsistent) grind (where you can pull a decent shot on most machines with a good grind and bean)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@maxyedor below is my setup (also including drip coffee and grinder). the overall footprint isn't bad. the 2 plugs vs 1, well, it is what it is.

i did a bunch of research on the websites of seattle coffee gear and whole latte love. imo they're both worth checking out, they have pretty good reviews on a good amount of the equipment they sell. plus how-to videos on using them as well, which i found useful. user reviews seemed to be well thought out too.

1649208343073.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lol. pourover cone, small grinder, and hot water kettle here. i'm such a savage. that phone tho...:rofl: haven't had a landline since 2003.
no, savage is microwaving folgers.

cell coverage is poor in our house. and my wife complained/haggled it so its basically free.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
do you not have wifi when at home?

when i was taing care of my mom this winter their fucking CORDED landlines with the springy, tangly cord between the receiver snd handset, drove me up the fucking wall. :rofl:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
you should combine the two sports in some sort of unholy biathlon.

(Actually I'd love to do mountain bike biathlon...maybe handguns carried in frame bags, with IPSC style course segments...)
Man forget the firearms. Combine mtb with lumberjack style course segments. But with hand tools. No chainsaws. Hand saws, axes, etc. Could turn trail maintenance into a spectator sport.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
5/13 for Haley at League tonight. Qualified 5th, stayed in 5th. Totally stacked field Top-4 places was top-4 league season positions. Race had no passing; the group was just flying. Most speeds were <1sec off track record, so there was no room to close gaps. Manager said it was one of the fastest Jr races she's ever seen, and might be the fastest - she's going to see if she can actually look it up. Would be very cool if it was, because they were hauling balls, as a group, in a line 1.5 karts apart from each other the whole time.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
@jonKranked been debating just upgrading grinders and keeping the Delonghi in service for a bit longer too. Seems like maybe the way to go, and grab a Gaggia at some point in the future. The plethora or replacement parts is a big plus for them.

Not looking to totally nerd out, just want to make my coffee a bit better. I want the Wiha screwdriver of espresso, don’t need to go full Nepros, but want something better that’ll last longer than craftsman, if that makes sense. I’m sure my current espresso is crap, just started using filtered water like 2 weeks ago, but since it’s pretty much on par with most coffee shops I’m sorta flying blind on what “better” even means.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Have you seen the series Maya and the Three? It's a centro-america pastiche fantasy series. (By latinx people, so I guess the cultural mishmash is OK...I mean it's fantasy, so like LOTR, Conan, anything, it is gonna mix up historical and fantasy elements from various times and cultures...)

We found it entertaining enough if not profound.

View attachment 174521

Also if you haven't watched Kubo and the Two Strings or Princess Mononoke, also favorites. (I didn't like Mononoke the first time, but got into it in successive viewings. Spirited Away is also a top choice, but no swords.)
Watched the first episode last night. She was entertained.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No-Doz is so much easier than coffee, people just need to admit that they are addicts and make the switch, hahaha!

I had to pick and peel some coffee beans whilst house sitting, it made me hate the stuff even more, they should have planted Red Bull or Brawndo trees, that would have been better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked been debating just upgrading grinders and keeping the Delonghi in service for a bit longer too. Seems like maybe the way to go, and grab a Gaggia at some point in the future. The plethora or replacement parts is a big plus for them.

Not looking to totally nerd out, just want to make my coffee a bit better. I want the Wiha screwdriver of espresso, don’t need to go full Nepros, but want something better that’ll last longer than craftsman, if that makes sense. I’m sure my current espresso is crap, just started using filtered water like 2 weeks ago, but since it’s pretty much on par with most coffee shops I’m sorta flying blind on what “better” even means.
first off, you're already starting to nerd out. just go with it.

which delonghi do you have? unless the wheels are starting to fall off (or there are outright issues with it) i think the route of getting a good quality grinder first isn't a bad idea.

the gaggia classic/pro is widely considered pretty much THE best beginner machine. its solid, its not overcomplicated, repair parts are readily available, and if you like to tinker there are people that make modifications/upgrades to it - PIDs, timers, preinfusion, etc.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
No-Doz is so much easier than coffee, people just need to admit that they are addicts and make the switch, hahaha!

I had to pick and peel some coffee beans whilst house sitting, it made me hate the stuff even more, they should have planted Red Bull or Brawndo trees, that would have been better.
But does No-Doz taste good? If you're ordering some foofy drink at Starbucks with a half dozen extra shots you can't even taste because they're mixed in with 780 grams of sugar then yeah, you're probably just an addict and need to do cocaine like an adult.

Coffee tastes fucking fantastic, and as an added bonus is rarely laced with fentanyl

first off, you're already starting to nerd out. just go with it.

which delonghi do you have? unless the wheels are starting to fall off (or there are outright issues with it) i think the route of getting a good quality grinder first isn't a bad idea.

the gaggia classic/pro is widely considered pretty much THE best beginner machine. its solid, its not overcomplicated, repair parts are readily available, and if you like to tinker there are people that make modifications/upgrades to it - PIDs, timers, preinfusion, etc.

Damnit, I don't need another nerdtastic hobby!

I have the previous generation of this guy https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EC155-Espresso-Cappuccino-Maker/dp/B000F49XXG/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2ZLBV03VCJPAY&keywords=delonghi+espresso+machine&qid=1649259552&sprefix=delonghi+,aps,130&sr=8-15

What's your go-to for beans?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you always need more nerd hobbies.

honestly, i like my setup with the gaggia and sette baratza enough that i have no plans on upgrading anytime for the foreseeable future. they are both solid, well performing, and serviceable. i plan to have them for years.

if you have no issues with your delonghi, i'd say put the money into a quality grinder now, get that figured out. then get a better machine a few years down the road.

my go to beans are lavazza super crema. they mix some robusto beans in with the arabica for a good crema.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But does No-Doz taste good? If you're ordering some foofy drink at Starbucks with a half dozen extra shots you can't even taste because they're mixed in with 780 grams of sugar then yeah, you're probably just an addict and need to do cocaine like an adult.

Coffee tastes fucking fantastic, and as an added bonus is rarely laced with fentanyl

Does No-Doz make you poop so you can get yer business taken care of first thing in the day? I for one appreciate not having to worry about turd logistics after I leave the house.