SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Further, the Danish authorities have not recognized that aerosols are the main issue here. We still disinfect our hands and all surfaces like crazy, but meetings/teaching in badly ventilated rooms are OK as long as you keep a distance of 1 m. :crazy:
I'm kinda in the same situation here. My kids' school has no centralized HVAC system: it's radiators for heat and that's it (I'm in Ottawa, Canada). A few parents and I are having a b!tch of a time getting the school to understand the biggest risk, and the one they should be addressing on a priority basis, is aerosolized [is that even a word?] transmission. The school board tells us they are following the City's Public Health Unit's directives for back-to-school. I've checked and it's true. Ottawa Public Health's guidelines are pretty weak on ventilation and air purification. I find this strange because overall, they have been pretty good at addressing the pandemic. Why they're dropping the ball for back-to-school is perplexing.

Otherwise, my youngest (grade 2) is in a class of 17 kids. They all have individual desks now (they used to be at collaborative tables) that are facing the front. I think there's a plexi-glass barrier at the front of each desk. They are not required to wear masks at their desks, but I'm trying to convince him to keep it on anyways. My older son, in grade 5 will be required to wear masks at all times (only kids in grade 3 and up are required to wear masks). I think his class will be much smaller too. Bathroom breaks, lunch, and recess will all by by "cohort" (i.e. their class). So they won't get to socialize with kids outside of their class at all.

Overall, I think I'm ok with the situation. But I think the school boards can and should do better regarding ventilation. A group of parents have bought 4 air purifiers and the school won't accept them (yet... they say the Parent Council has to donate them, but the Council hasn't been voted in yet...).

Still, I wonder how long before a school shuts down... ugh.

Anyways, on funner topic, last night was ride night. it was a beautiful evening, and we finished with a swim in a lake. but we chose a loop that was uphill both ways (seriously, I think 95% of the time was spent climbing), with only one (albeit great) downhill. It's uncharacteristically wet and boggy out there now too. I think we're in for a wet fall.
1599231457683.png

1599231501773.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm kinda in the same situation here. My kids' school has no centralized HVAC system: it's radiators for heat and that's it (I'm in Ottawa, Canada).
Pandemic and whatnot aside, I don't think many schools in Ontario have AC at all. It sucks....

I remember as a kid how hot the classrooms would get in May/June/September. Sometimes the teachers would take us to the gym to lay on the cool floor.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just had a team meeting where the topic was "efficiencies". I spent 5min explaining ctrl+c, ctrl+v and alt+tab. Another person was explaining how they going into every account the Sunday before and take notes on paper about the acct to reference in conversation. I showed everyone how you can do the exact same thing real-time using said keystrokes, the tools available in Salesforce, and confirming information in the beginning of the conversation. People were mindblown these were options to use. One person even keeps a binder full of notes on each person they meet with...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just had a team meeting where the topic was "efficiencies". I spent 5min explaining ctrl+c, ctrl+v and alt+tab. Another person was explaining how they going into every account the Sunday before and take notes on paper about the acct to reference in conversation. I showed everyone how you can do the exact same thing real-time using said keystrokes, the tools available in Salesforce, and confirming information in the beginning of the conversation. People were mindblown these were options to use. One person even keeps a binder full of notes on each person they meet with...
Average age of referenced Boomers?? :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There's a woman in my department who takes notes incessantly, she probably goes through a team of paper a week. I don't think I've printed anything for work in 2 years.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There's a woman in my department who takes notes incessantly, she probably goes through a team of paper a week. I don't think I've printed anything for work in 2 years.
her apartment.....????

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Horseshoe? We got dumped on with rain over this way, so maybe the sandy turns won't be like riding on a beach today. :D

Rail trail gets boring so quick. Any good hiking over there? Looks flat...
Yup, 'Shoe.
Apparently the "dirt" is mint, even trail 3 is running fast and fun, although I expect the sand dune in the meadow is open for business as it dries out faster than it gets wet.

Got some straight boring rail trail, but I'm not going to risk it. A buddy borrowed my DH bike for the 'Shoe trip, and I rode it around the driveway while waiting for him to pick it up. Yea, going straight is kinda ok, but turning, that is a bit of a different story.

Yup, flat like pancake around here, except for the odd ravine system. There is one in town that I have built trail in, that would be decent for a bit of hiking, although I have only ridden it to date.

The bad arm (right) is of course my dominant one, and lemme tell ya, I am totally useless with the left. It is frustrating as I keep unconsciously using my right, only to be sharply reminded that that is not a good idea, then I have to try to clean-up the shit-show that using my left usually makes....using my left.

Meh, Imma go drink some beer.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Stoney I feel for ya

In early 2000 I got hired by Northwestern Mutual Insurance. Jr salespeople were not allowed to use Laptops, had to keep their contact list on index cards in a shoe box and had to print out power point client presentations. Oh and you had to come into the office every morning to make 90 minutes of cold calls. I quit in less than two months but not until I told the head guy that he was an ancient dinosaur and was getting his ass kicked by tech savy competitors ( I came from high tech)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I rode. I hit a tree. My section head was apparently trying to contact me while I was out of cell range doing so, as someone in my section got sick. So now I'm at work. Hmph.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Once you get into lumber country around here you couldn't avoid a Trump sign if you veered off the road.

Several Biden and ByeDon signs in my neighborhood. But I live in a godless anarchists sektor

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not many yard signs for either camp yet in this terrified suburb of charlotte, but def some flags/signs out in the country. i've noticed increasingly frequent little pop up tump rallies of maybe 15-20 people at intersections over the past 6 months. maybe i should drive by and bear spray them or hit them with paintballs?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Man.

I am a lazy fuck when it comes to that stuff, so "paperless" is a god send. This building I moved to recently is like that; when I enter a purchase req into the system, I have to print the god damn thing and walk it over to another guys desk to be physically signed. EVEN THOUGH THE SYSTEM HAS A GOD DAMN APPROVAL WORK FLOW WHAT THE FUCK??? I then walk said signed req over to someone elses desk, she then takes it and "approves" it. Then the head pounding begins again when she PRINTS the PO, scans it to herself and then forwards it to me. The friggin' system can also simply email it directly to me. FFS. :banghead:

Also related: its fun to watch peoples minds get blown when you show them the windows key + left/right/up/down keys, to split the windows and move them around.

Or really blow them and show them the multiple desktop windows in Windows 10, ala Linux.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Fun fact: I have been using the same CamelBak bladder for like 15 years. I store it in the freezer so mold won't grow in it. Anyway, I just took it out to thaw...ride with Splat tomorrow.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So ready to hit it! It's kind of a long drive because of the mountains, but it should totally be worth it. This might be Indy's last trip.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Fun fact: I have been using the same CamelBak bladder for like 15 years. I store it in the freezer so mold won't grow in it. Anyway, I just took it out to thaw...ride with Splat tomorrow.
Mine is close to that, if not older. I was it now and again.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Same here, except that I now get a serving of vegetables with every sip.

Also great for making gatorade prison wine

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I put some bleach in mine if/when I observe any green stain. That said, I have taken to riding with a 12 ounce bottle of water in my pack. I sometimes even use it.
I almost never pack my Camelbak's bladder. Sometimes when I get back to the car I wish I had some water, but nevertheless I persist.