Quantcast

ΩΩΩΩ Torsdag GTM ΩΩΩΩ

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Very different from the one I took. This was Neo-Pi-R test which is about personality dimensions with 250 questions.
I'm pretty sure I'd fail the "Cute and Fun to be With" portion... but I'd pass on the "I'd rather ride a bike" portion.

Mine included this:

A1: Trust
A2: Straightforwardness
A3: Altruism
A4: Modesty
A5: Modesty
A6: Tender-mindedness C: Conscienctiousness

C1: Competence
C2: Order
C3: Dutifulness
C4: Achievement Striving
C5: Self-Discipline
C6: Deliberation

as they pertained to professional work habits, the questions about emotional stability, aggression and anger were not included.

That said - its 75 and sunny with only a slight breeze. Time for a Giggle Pig adventure. :thumb:

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Awesome ride on some private trails on 900 acres.
Finish ride to find we're locked inside gate out in BFE. Maybe those no trespassing signs (trails are OK, we just parked up logging road via open at time gate.)
A couple phone calls and we're given the lock code just in time, as beers were getting thin.

Dh tmo at Killington.
Saturday undecided.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I heard it land. I have searched extensively it is gone. I do not have another or access to another that size. Phack....

1997 RS SID
Remain calm, I'm here to help. Take a broom and begin to slowly sweep the floor into one central spot. You should see the clip get moved. It's a good sign that you heard it hit, means it's on the floor and not on another surface. This happens to me all the time.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Remain calm, I'm here to help. Take a broom and begin to slowly sweep the floor into one central spot. You should see the clip get moved. It's a good sign that you heard it hit, means it's on the floor and not on another surface. This happens to me all the time.
Nope. If you have a 10 year old fork and want me to perform magic. Or just make it work again. I just annealed a piece of bailing wire. It held shape. I went with glowy and hammery....

I am aware of the price of failure. I will replace and service the fork and seals when I procure the proper parts for free.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Back from a most awesome and leisurely ride on the Giggle Pig - as long as I keep myself form over doing it there will be similar rides Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Life is good this fall.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Or just sweeping the floor with a magnetic pick up. That'll do er.

Went on a successful beer run.

Dragged out the EDPM membrane that was to serve as a moisture barrier in wine cellar, cut roughly to shape.

Fucked around with a 2 x 3 screeding gravel on floor until it was roughly level.

Spread out the membrane, marked it, and cut to shape of floor purpose - back wall and some of floor is irregular native dolomite.

Spent some time thinking and making notes on a piece of scrap EDPM.

Drove up to Bristol, bought a bunch of lumber and fasteners, carried it all back home and unloaded.

Got some tools from shop.

Did some more measuring, cut some wood, ran up and down stairs a lot, and a frame started appearing over the membrane on the cellar floor.

Finished the frame, started cutting decking, carrying it downstairs, and installing it on frame.

By about 7:30 PM, decking was all in, wine racks had been carried back into cellar, tools had been stowed, trash disposed of, and it was obviously beer thirty.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Back from a most awesome and leisurely ride on the Giggle Pig - as long as I keep myself form over doing it there will be similar rides Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Life is good this fall.
Jelly, my 'fall' not so great. Thinking about riding Pony area this Saturday if you're interested...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
First ride in chunk after long weeeks tonight - it felt so good! Had to ride le pig de giggle as a B6-er as crabon rim issues arose. :rant:Lunch time ride is planned for tomorrow, possibly with a new shock.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's 1 of 2 driving factors. The other being I don't believe a mentor is something that should be assigned to you. I have plenty of people I consider "mentors" inside and outside of my company/field, but I consider them so based on their accomplishments/attitude, not because their name was picked out of a hat.
Wise choice, that 'mentor' was merely a company stooge tasked with forming you into their ideal. F that.*

* I have been deemed unemployable multiple times, take my advice at your own risk.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Monday the forecast for my Pisgah trip this weekend was looking really shitty, but today, it rawks, down to a 20% chance of rain.

Looking forward to spending all day in the woods without the sound of traffic. Last chance to rip the crap out of some rocks and roots before they get covered in leaves. Fall is not my favorite season for riding simply because I have to slow down in the corners and to avoid holes that get obscured.
You've gotta have more time than a week. I'm damned near in Canada right now and there's barely any leaves/colors at the moment. It is 40° however.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I wish I could have a mentor who could teach me about actual engineering. Not just a single company's repertoire, but honest to goodness engineering/manufacturing principles that aren't specific to a single product or industry. Perhaps I'm just being cynical but that kind of knowledge seems to be in short supply these days.
What you seek is called experience.
It is rare to find an employer who wants to empower you with knowledge beyond their interests, so I suggest you seek this info via networking. You will also find your next job in the process.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You've gotta have more time than a week. I'm damned near in Canada right now and there's barely any leaves/colors at the moment. It is 40° however.
Oh yeah plenty of time before the leaves change colors, but some start coming down due to lack of rain and drying out.

I don't get to Pisgah very often, so chances are the next time there will be no leaves on the trees.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What you seek is called experience.
It is rare to find an employer who wants to empower you with knowledge beyond their interests, so I suggest you seek this info via networking. You will also find your next job in the process.
You know, you are probably right, it is experience that I'm seeking. As I reflect on 10 years in engineering I have come to the depressing conclusion that I do a small fraction of the critical thinking and application of principles that attracted me to the field in the first place. If only I was more proficient at networking; as an introvert with social anxieties it's rather difficult for me to engage in.

Perhaps the next phase of my life will lead me in a different direction. At least I can take solace in the fact that I'm not an idiot, so I do have that going for me.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You know, you are probably right, it is experience that I'm seeking. As I reflect on 10 years in engineering I have come to the depressing conclusion that I do a small fraction of the critical thinking and application of principles that attracted me to the field in the first place. If only I was more proficient at networking; as an introvert with social anxieties it's rather difficult for me to engage in.

Perhaps the next phase of my life will lead me in a different direction. At least I can take solace in the fact that I'm not an idiot, so I do have that going for me.
It's funny, because it seems like management wants to do everything in their power to prevent me from doing these exact things, despite there being no shortage of need for it in sight. Apparently, a mechanical engineer's time is better spent in Excel and Word, updating project trackers, sending weekly reports and updating goal metrics than fixing broken equipment, designing new equipment, fabricating/machining prototypes/parts and making equipment better.

Part of the reason I fear I'll get fired at any moment is I do as little of the former as possible, and as much as the latter as possible.