Quantcast

∆π∆ middle FTS gmt ∆π∆

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
New manager (new to company) is trying to schedule a "team gathering" that accommodates 20 people between TX and CO, located in Austin. He's given up on September because how far out we all schedule. He just discovered that October is a 50/50 at best as well. He is going to have to attempt November now, which makes it even funnier, that he's pushing a quarter forward to get schedules to work. He was shocked by how far out we're all planning our calendars. Well no shit dude. We are working with group settings, benefits fairs, and public facilities- police depts, schools, public works, city halls, etc. - that shit has to be planned out way in advance with filler in the near-term. I just scheduled a few meetings for February of next year and am working on December. Speaking of which, I should probably get my vacations on paper...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
New manager (new to company) is trying to schedule a "team gathering" that accommodates 20 people between TX and CO, located in Austin. He's given up on September because how far out we all schedule. He just discovered that October is a 50/50 at best as well. He is going to have to attempt November now, which makes it even funnier, that he's pushing a quarter forward to get schedules to work. He was shocked by how far out we're all planning our calendars. Well no shit dude. We are working with group settings, benefits fairs, and public facilities- police depts, schools, public works, city halls, etc. - that shit has to be planned out way in advance with filler in the near-term. I just scheduled a few meetings for February of next year and am working on December. Speaking of which, I should probably get my vacations on paper...
is his name Bob?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Have you considered telling him to try it nao?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Montana:
  • 147,000 square miles
  • 1.1 million intelligent(?) apes
  • Largest city: Billings - 110,000
:rofl:

It's all relative, in the end. It's like Californians and East Coasters moving to the Front Range. They scoff at our idea of "congested"... even though, to us, it's real and really quite irritating.

I guess all you can really do is hope for:
  • A really nasty recession
  • A really nasty winter
:D

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Montana:
  • 147,000 square miles
  • 1.1 million intelligent(?) apes
  • Largest city: Billings - 110,000
:rofl:

It's all relative, in the end. It's like Californians and East Coasters moving to the Front Range. They scoff at our idea of "congested"... even though, to us, it's real and really quite irritating.

I guess all you can really do is hope for:
  • A really nasty recession
  • A really nasty winter
:D
Yes, it's all relative.

I've been saying MT is like CO (was) 20 years ago -- for 20 years now...

And while there are plenty of dying towns in the front range who could benefit from growth, the more desireable mountainous west side is getting full:

1567013453250.png

What has spared Greater Yellowstone is its relative geographic isolation, the fact that it does not have a major urban area like Salt Lake City, Denver, or Boise parked on its doorstep. Indeed, the Front Range of the Colorado Rockies and the Wasatch Front are perhaps the poster children of how true wildness in the West has eroded and suffers in the age of the Anthropocene. The Anthropocene being a term describing the era in which human presence wields such influence that it not only causes climate change and species extinctions but fundamentally alters the function of nature itself.

AND

Conservatively, if the growth rate of the past 30 years continues, the overall population of the Greater Yellowstone region is expected to surge, in just 13 years’ time, from the current 450,000 denizens, to 677,000.

1567013530211.png

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Furthermore, almost every community opposes DENSITY, public transit, and other livability schemes that the rest of the civilized world has sort of figured out.

Because, hurda derp... Y'AINT TAKIN' NO MORE TAX MONIES FROM ME. NOT TO MENTION, FREEDUMB!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, it's all relative.

I've been saying MT is like CO (was) 20 years ago -- for 20 years now...

And while there are plenty of dying towns in the front range who could benefit from growth, the more desireable mountainous west side is getting full:

View attachment 136646

What has spared Greater Yellowstone is its relative geographic isolation, the fact that it does not have a major urban area like Salt Lake City, Denver, or Boise parked on its doorstep. Indeed, the Front Range of the Colorado Rockies and the Wasatch Front are perhaps the poster children of how true wildness in the West has eroded and suffers in the age of the Anthropocene. The Anthropocene being a term describing the era in which human presence wields such influence that it not only causes climate change and species extinctions but fundamentally alters the function of nature itself.

AND

Conservatively, if the growth rate of the past 30 years continues, the overall population of the Greater Yellowstone region is expected to surge, in just 13 years’ time, from the current 450,000 denizens, to 677,000.

View attachment 136648
allow me to provide a reminder / perspective - in the suburbs where i live, they are now resorting to developing areas once thought undevelopable due to urban sprawl.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A developer picked up a corner parcel west of us, in the bentonite-riddled section of SW Littleton. It *appears* that they are completely removing the existing soil... and going to build a neighborhood. I'm still getting my :popcorn: ready for the fallout.
Where?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
A developer picked up a corner parcel west of us, in the bentonite-riddled section of SW Littleton. It *appears* that they are completely removing the existing soil... and going to build a neighborhood. I'm still getting my :popcorn: ready for the fallout.
When we first moved here, back in the totally rational real estate market days of late 2006/early 2007, they had just started building homes on the Mesa. The thing is, the location is fan-fucking-tastic, but everyone who has been here any length of time knows its a god damned toxic waste dump. The smelter stack is still there FFS. They had built maybe 50 homes by the time the market crashed, and the area was basically a ghost town, in the middle of town, for the next 8-9 years. When it became a "desirable" area again is when I started getting tinfoily about the real estate market. Rational people do not build/buy homes on the Southern CO version of Love Canal.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Woot.

Hey ho Monkeys. So after @stoney mentioned going 11 speed, it looks like I could pretty easy on my big pig. While I can't justify the new rig yet, a sub $200 upgrade to further my gear spread seems legit. If I were crazy I could swap the free hub and go 12, but that seems like the breakpoint. :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
When we first moved here, back in the totally rational real estate market days of late 2006/early 2007, they had just started building homes on the Mesa. The thing is, the location is fan-fucking-tastic, but everyone who has been here any length of time knows its a god damned toxic waste dump. The smelter stack is still there FFS. They had built maybe 50 homes by the time the market crashed, and the area was basically a ghost town, in the middle of town, for the next 8-9 years. When it became a "desirable" area again is when I started getting tinfoily about the real estate market. Rational people do not build/buy homes on the Southern CO version of Love Canal.
They've done this up near Rocky Flats. BRILLIANT!

Also - very desirable neighborhood up on Green Mountain in Lakewood - houses built right on the side of the mountain... and guess what? The fucking mountain is/was slowly moving downhill. :rofl:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Lunch ride happened during which zero fucks about work were given. Torrential rains incoming any moment now.

Also, apparently I am only capable of short rides these days.

1567017771446.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Woot.

Hey ho Monkeys. So after @stoney mentioned going 11 speed, it looks like I could pretty easy on my big pig. While I can't justify the new rig yet, a sub $200 upgrade to further my gear spread seems legit. If I were crazy I could swap the free hub and go 12, but that seems like the breakpoint. :rofl:
i've done it. i only went with a 40t cassette though. and shimano.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
They've done this up near Rocky Flats. BRILLIANT!

Also - very desirable neighborhood up on Green Mountain in Lakewood - houses built right on the side of the mountain... and guess what? The fucking mountain is/was slowly moving downhill. :rofl:

All of that shit anywhere near RF makes me laugh anytime I have to drive up 93.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I darn near won the idiot of the day award. Stayed up late messing with the BB on my daughter's bike. Managed to get it out (yay) but when I started with the new (old) one, I realized entirely too late that the cups were swapped and my drive side was actually the NDS. Apparently old RF BBs are tapered in such a way that allows for them to make it in without issue. I fucked up the threads a little bit on the BB, but it looks like the bike itself is just fine, and when I swapped the cups correctly, they threaded in just fine. So, am I a big dum dum? Yes, but I didn't break anything....yet.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i've done it. i only went with a 40t cassette though. and shimano.
I was looking at a 44t or 46t, not sure if I will keep the front a 36 or not. Need to figure it all out now that I know it's a valid option. I need to try the NX shifter, I might go back to Shimano if they are teh suck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was looking at a 44t or 46t, not sure if I will keep the front a 36 or not. Need to figure it all out now that I know it's a valid option. I need to try the NX shifter, I might go back to Shimano if they are teh suck.
i'm 11-40 (although i do have a 42T variety waiting for a future build). 32T chainring. but i'm on obsolete 26" wheels. honestly one big feature shimano has over sram is the double downshift

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why the heck does anyone design a site to grab information for a drop down list and NOT sort it in any fashion. Ughhh.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i'm 11-40 (although i do have a 42T variety waiting for a future build). 32T chainring. but i'm on obsolete 26" wheels. honestly one big feature shimano has over sram is the double downshift
These are 26 as well. I was thinking a 32x11-44 would be really nice.

Ok, stupid question time. I currently have the OG Evil SRS but noticed no such device on most everything now. Do I keep it with the 1x11 because why not, or is it not really needed?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Ok, stupid question time. I currently have the OG Evil SRS but noticed no such device on most everything now. Do I keep it with the 1x11 because why not, or is it not really needed?
No harm having an upper guide and bash if you get a new clutch derailleur, but no real need for lower guide now particularly if you also swap to a narrow/wide front ring.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

if you need a bash consider the MRP AMG. Top guide + bash taco, nothing extra.
new chainring design and clutch derailleurs have made dropped chains a rarity. (ymmv)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Yeah, definitely 1x11. Just get a RaceFace Narrow Wide chainring and clutch derailleur. You might want to play around with the clutch tension a bit to fine tine le shifting. You will also save some weight without a shifter, cable and front drl.