Quantcast

∑∑∑∑∑∑∑ --- Sunday GTM --- µµµµµµµµµ‹‹‹∆∆∆∆¬œœœ||ü«©©©©©

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The mansion crowd has completely captured all the contractors up here. They don't even call you back if it's not a multimillion dollar job. Can't get plumbers, can't get roofers, can't find car mechanics that don't charge at least double the hourly rate of the rest of the state.
I own an old house in an affluent town in Greater Boston. I am with you 100%.

That said, my roof has European pitch, for which I'm very grateful.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
see pics above

shingles

And I'm not changing it. See other post above. In addition to normal county in california bullshit, we have all kinds of other dumb shit regulations specific to lake tahoe. In typical liberal fashion, this entire region is set up to only serve millionaires and billionaires now. I don't own the house but my partner does. You have to have licensed contractors do anything and contractors for the poors don't exist anymore. The county has patrol cars looking for people doing unpermitted work every fall when everyone skirts them :rofl:
Serious questions:

1. have you updated your pros & cons check list of living in Tahoe, even if only mentally, lately?

2. have you tried to find other locations to live that meet your must-have needs?

In other words, have you considered moving?

It took us nearly 10 years and we literally had spreadsheets with questionnaires, weighted blind scoring, etc to find a place to move to. I got to know enoug about oregon land use, zoning and permitting that I seriously considered hiring my services out.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
so let me tell you what would be involved in updating the very badly outdated electrical in this house, needed to run heating strips......................... :rofl:
Got adequate ventilation and insulation in the attic?

Unfortunately, if heating cables aren't feasible, most of the solutions at this point outside of an insurance fire are going to be expensive...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Serious questions:

1. have you updated your pros & cons check list of living in Tahoe, even if only mentally, lately?

2. have you tried to find other locations to live that meet your must-have needs?

In other words, have you considered moving?

It took us nearly 10 years and we literally had spreadsheets with questionnaires, weighted blind scoring, etc to find a place to move to. I got to know enoug about oregon land use, zoning and permitting that I seriously considered hiring my services out.
constantly.....

I've looked into jobs in Bellingham (shit boss), Helena (shit work conditions), Lander, WY (too long to list), and now looking pretty seriously at Klamath Falls.

I had one foot out the door on a few of those but I couldn't get the other half onboard. When the pandemic hit, I almost just packed my bags and moved out solo. But a funny thing happened....all our dumbshit upper management realized we started meeting all our publication dates as soon as we started working from home, something that never happened previously.

So I have skiing/snowmobiling/biking/dirtbiking literally right out of my front door, and an employer that finally after about 15 years of saying no, finally respected our requests to work from home when weather and tourists make shit impossible. For a hermit that hates people, that has some value. For all my bitching, those are some heavy columns to offset. The impending fire doom finally got my partner on board. We're going somewhere but nowhere we want to live has houses we can afford. We caught the very end of the last even remotely affordable wave of tahoe housing prices. Now everywhere else is just as expensive and neither one of us is exactly getting raises ever. I love the little micro-community I live in though. It really is the last cohesive working class neighborhood in north tahoe. People look out for each other.

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Full roof, felt and apparently not enough tar paper or equivalent. Had to pay a contractor from reno to come up and do it for the permit which the county still denied like 4 times. Place had two roofs on it when we moved in. It was rotting but it never did this shit. It obviously needs to be sealed better somehow.... Any ideas from the great white north?
So about that roofing contractor, did he offer you a warranty?

If not, got a few ideas you won't like.

You have to find the entrance point. By now your insulation is all wet and needs to be taken out. I'm assuming flat roof so no attic. Ceiling will need to be open at some point. You might not be able to see were the water comes in from outside.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Whilst not to the level that woo is currently dealing with I just discovered a structural crack in our house that's leaking water through a 10" thick concrete slab that forms our deck above the garage and the garage ceiling.

I hate to even think about what would be required to fix it. I'd like to sell our house in July last year now please.

I guess time to somehow find a structural engineer who'll come out for an assessment?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Whilst not to the level that woo is currently dealing with I just discovered a structural crack in our house that's leaking water through a 10" thick concrete slab that forms our deck above the garage and the garage ceiling.

I hate to even think about what would be required to fix it. I'd like to sell our house in July last year now please.

I guess time to somehow find a structural engineer who'll come out for an assessment?
Dude...

Where you guys aiming to land?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
You should consider NYC. I could surf, ski and mountain bike all in one day if I put a little fucking effort in. Plus today I saw some dudes riding motos in a little patch of dirt in between JFK Expressway and the Belt Parkway. And have you heard about the pizza? You'd never have to leave.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
fam hike in the "grand canyon of the east coast" to see the annual daffodil fields blooming. steep trail is steep-drops 1500' in one mile.
view on the way down ain't bad...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Full roof, felt and apparently not enough tar paper or equivalent. Had to pay a contractor from reno to come up and do it for the permit which the county still denied like 4 times. Place had two roofs on it when we moved in. It was rotting but it never did this shit. It obviously needs to be sealed better somehow.... Any ideas from the great white north?
It's been a few decades since I was a roof monkey so not sure where the industry has gone but I would go with a rubberized membrane instead of tar paper for a house in a location with a lot of snow. At least use it in any valleys or lower on the roof where ice dams can occur.

The roof on my house in Virginia started leaking badly all of a sudden. When I went into the attic to locate the leak there was a small hole with daylight shining through. Pretty sure it was a bullet hole. Pew pew pew pew, 'Merica!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's been a few decades since I was a roof monkey so not sure where the industry has gone but I would go with a rubberized membrane instead of tar paper for a house in a location with a lot of snow. At least use it in any valleys or lower on the roof where ice dams can occur.
yeah man hindsight.....

I can promise that roof will have a different composition come september

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
G damn! Those Jura machines are small mountains of money. Which model did you go for?

Thanks for the wisdom ya'll!
Got the E4. Still a ridiculous (embarrassing to be frank) price to pay for a kitchen appliance, but I love it. There are days in the winter when it is the only reason I get out of bed in the morning. Haha!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We are happy with our Breville 870. Had it for 6 years now. It had developed a leak after two years so we sent it in for repair. Breville sent us a new machine.
My Breville has been going strong for 3 years. There were a few times when I thought something was wrong and it wasn't building pressure but I just learned that some beans require significantly differing grinds/tamps than others.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
next thing you know i'll be saying the 4000' blue ridge mountains are "the rockies of the east"!
Please do

It will get all the denver yeti riding fucks out of the colorado mountains so the rest of us can quit asking "mind if I squeeze by" to all the sphincter puckerers.

You can frame it as 'orginal artisan appalachia'

Last edited: