Quantcast

◇♢◇Thurdsday GMT◇♢◇

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Not sure I would accept if given the opportunity either. As an introverted Type B kinda person I'm not sure it's a great fit for me.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
I was in leadership for 10 years. I'm fine with leading people, I'm super type A I guess (so I've been told). But my problem is I don't like people 99% of the time.

I'd rather just be in a dark box with the door shut and left alone. Hah.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
So, I need some winter riding gear, this is all kinda new for me. Stuff for riding in the 20's and 30's, probably kinda windy, maybe snow, although when it snows a lot here they shut the trails down.

Suggestions? Open to any and all.

What I've been considering: Smartool longsleeved thingy under jersey, maybe smartwool tights (dunno if they'd get in the way of my shorts?) or maybe leggings if they get warm enough, something gloves, something head? I don't know what I'm doing. Help.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So, I need some winter riding gear, this is all kinda new for me. Stuff for riding in the 20's and 30's, probably kinda windy, maybe snow, although when it snows a lot here they shut the trails down.

Suggestions? Open to any and all.

What I've been considering: Smartool longsleeved thingy under jersey, maybe smartwool tights (dunno if they'd get in the way of my shorts?) or maybe leggings if they get warm enough, something gloves, something head? I don't know what I'm doing. Help.
wool baselayer.

check out endura for outerwear. on the pricier end of things (but not rapha pricey) and high quality.

will you be riding clipless or flats for the winter?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Last weekend I was out when it was about 35: ski socks, above-knee bib tights with baggies over 'em, synthetic shirt, Ridemonkey long sleeve jersey, thin gloves, headband/ear cover thing ditched halfway through the climb. That was about the right amount of clothes.

Add in windproof pants, a shell, and thicker gloves for more degrees below that (and with less climbing--I have to dress warmer for a given temperature on my commute, for instance).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for most of my winter riding i use cool weather bibs with a wind shell pant. basic long sleeve jersey with a wind jacket. sometimes an extra jersey when it's real cold. wool socks + lake 303s. answer sleestak gloves when it gets below 20. and ear warmers.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Nick: Are you totally flipped over to ski season now? I am picking up my 5010 with the crabonz hoops tomorrow and might play hooky for a bit longer yet and do a WR short loop unless a better idea crops up.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've always been most successful dressed as such:

- thin winter hat under helmet (EMS techwick beanie)
- A buff for my neck/head
- Short sleeve wicking shirt under a long sleeve fleece top with 1/2 zipper (key!)
- wind breaker layer over the top of it all
- long underwear or tights under stretchy hiking pants
- thick wool socks with regular biking shoes
- thin winter gloves under regular winter riding gloves

I find that I'm cold when I start out, get overheated, dump the wind breaker layer and control body temp using the zipper on the fleece. That usually gets me into the sweet spot of comfort without being super bulky.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've always been most successful dressed as such:

- thin winter hat under helmet (EMS techwick beanie)
- A buff for my neck/head
- Short sleeve wicking shirt under a long sleeve fleece top with 1/2 zipper (key!)
- wind breaker layer over the top of it all
- long underwear or tights under stretchy hiking pants
- thick wool socks with regular biking shoes
- thin winter gloves under regular winter riding gloves

I find that I'm cold when I start out, get overheated, dump the wind breaker layer and control body temp using the zipper on the fleece. That usually gets me into the sweet spot of comfort without being super bulky.
Build up your seal-like fat stores like me and you'll need fewer layers.

/me is hydrodynamic

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
wool baselayer.

check out endura for outerwear. on the pricier end of things (but not rapha pricey) and high quality.

will you be riding clipless or flats for the winter?
I pretty much always ride flats. I have clipless though, I can go either way, I raced XC many moons ago and slogged thousands of miles clipless, flats is different for me on MTB. Reminds me of a big BMX bike. :)

I have okay outerwear, but none of it is winter-proof.

Smartwool stuff good or should I look at something else? I just jumped at that because I have some hiking socks from'em, lol.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I pretty much always ride flats. I have clipless though, I can go either way, I raced XC many moons ago and slogged thousands of miles clipless, flats is different for me on MTB. Reminds me of a big BMX bike. :)

I have okay outerwear, but none of it is winter-proof.

Smartwool stuff good or should I look at something else? I just jumped at that because I have some hiking socks from'em, lol.
I don't like wool for aerobic activity. It gets soaked. Yes it keeps you warm, but it is still soaked. and heavy. I find I've had much better luck with a wicking baselayer, a thin fleece, and an uninsulated softshell. I adjust the thickness of the midlayer based on temps, and adjust the outerlayer based on precipitation, wind, and temps. Really really really cold (colder than -4°F) - fuck that I don't ride. Really really cold (-4 to 5) - baselayer, thick fleece and maybe a shell. Really cold (5 to 14) - baselayer, thin fleece, shell. Cold (14 to 38) - baselayer, micro-fleece vest, shell. Cool (above 40) - baselayer, shell. There's a lot of combinations in there, and it can shift many times during a ride.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Is clipless better in the cold/snow? I could see it giving me more sure footing on the pedals, specially if I stomp in a buncha snow.
You want a boot if there's snow. Something that tucks in under your pants so snow doesn't get in. Clipless is more complicated in snow caus' it can pack up with snow/ice, and the cleat acts as a heat sink. There are winter specific cleated boots, but they're $$$. It's probably best to try riding with 5.10s or hiking boots on flats. then, if you like it, get some proper winter riding boots.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is clipless better in the cold/snow? I could see it giving me more sure footing on the pedals, specially if I stomp in a buncha snow.
In really cold weather the cold, metal SPD pedals suck the heat out of one's feet via the cleat interface. All that's insulating one's soles is a thin insole.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i prefer it, but i've also been riding clipless for almost all the close to 20 years i've been riding. if you wanna stay with clipless for cold weather, id recommend getting winter spd shoes. some good options available now, and worth every penny. i finally ponied up a few years back, and glad i did.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In really cold weather the cold, metal SPD pedals suck the heat out of one's feet via the cleat interface. All that's insulating one's soles is a thin insole.
many winter spd's have insulated insoles. if not, you can get a pair for ~$20 from amazon

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Nick: Are you totally flipped over to ski season now? I am picking up my 5010 with the crabonz hoops tomorrow and might play hooky for a bit longer yet and do a WR short loop unless a better idea crops up.
Expect 100% snow. Are those carbon wheels of teh FAT variety??
It's going to snow for like 10 days straight in the mtns. Ride tomorrow, then wax up your skis.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Smartwool is good stuff. I have used their base layers for years but recently switched to Nike fitted thermal base layer tights and long sleeve tops because the price is right, sometimes as low as $25 each piece. I wear them under Arc'Teryx wind tights and long sleeve wind top. This keeps me good to about 25 degrees, colder than that I have a beefier set of Craft insulated wind bibs. New for me this year is a synthetic insulated jacket - so far so good.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=us&language=en&gender=Mens&category=Pants&model=Trino-Tight

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=us&language=en&gender=Mens&category=Insulated_Jackets&model=Atom-AR-Jacket

http://shop.craftsports.us/storm-bib-tights-m.html

Craft also makes knit gunde windstopper underwear which is good for keeping your bits warm.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You want a boot if there's snow. Something that tucks in under your pants so snow doesn't get in. Clipless is more complicated in snow caus' it can pack up with snow/ice, and the cleat acts as a heat sink. There are winter specific cleated boots, but they're $$$. It's probably best to try riding with 5.10s or hiking boots on flats. then, if you like it, get some proper winter riding boots.
they're not crazy money unless you're looking at the subzero stuff. yes, they're more expensive than regular spd shoes, but the specialized defrosters are $200 and are very well reviewed.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
I'm probably not gonna ride below ~25/30. At least not on the trails, they get all jacked up here and the local trail crew shuts them down. Probably just go ride some fire roads or something.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Huh, today is my intern's last day. She gave me cookies, a card, and a $25 gift card for being so patient with her and that she "admires me as an engineer".

Well isn't that something.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Expect 100% snow. Are those carbon wheels of teh FAT variety??
It's going to snow for like 10 days straight in the mtns. Ride tomorrow, then wax up your skis.
They're the same as yours on the DH bike, 31.8 mm internal. Mid-fat.

First ski day will be Dec 31, methinks. I have that weekend free from work and free from family (still in Seattle)--must rustle up lodging and a plan at some point.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
um...

Ski areas are an 1-2 hours away, you don't NEED to spend $ on lodging, when you can spend it on gas.
In. (Probably).
I'm off at 5 PM on Friday Dec 30. I need to be back at DIA to pick up the family at around 3 PM on Monday Jan 2. Since I have a pass I was thinking to head up Friday night, ski all day Saturday and Sunday (joined by the daytrippers), get a few runs in Monday morning, then head back home to drop off the ski gear and pick up the wife and kids.

:banana:

It costs $20 now to park at the Village (JH), what does parking cost at the I70 resorts these days? Granted, you can park for free 9 miles away and take a free shuttle.
$25 at Vail, I think.