Quantcast

●●■■Funday□□○○

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Kid 3 out of bed 45 min ago because she needed snuggles from my wife and then, simultaneously, kid 2 out of bed because she needed snuggles from me. Both of them are back in bed but now I’m awake as brain is up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Did 3 1/2hr ride in the pain cave yesterday, 27mile 7500ft verts. Definitely going to get outside for the real thing today.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Forgot to note talked with "banking system will collapse, silver is the only real currency, don't tax me, and I only make $40k/yr" BIL last night. Talked about banking system, tax structure, etc. You could se him trying really hard to make arguments for why the entire bank system will and should collapse the same way SVB did.

He missed (and ignored) the part that the banks currently under threat have primarily commercial clients:
- First Republic and SVB are/were both commercial and HNW primarily
- Signature (in NY that failed 2 weeks ago) is commercial with 20% in crypto companies
- Huntington holds their own loans (low fixed rate debts, liquidity risk accordingly)
- Keycorp (commercial heavy), Comerica (commercial and private banking primarily)
- Truist (small business, HNW).

All have one substantial similarity - midsized banks with fewer clients that have large balances, vs. Chase/WFC/BAC/etc that all have primarily retail clients with much, much smaller accounts. One person/entity can take out 100 people's worth of money in a single transaction aka. leverage.

He's a perfect example of the ignorance of this country. "oh my god, the system is going to collapse!" No it's not dumbass. And know that the people that you put in charge are the ones that are allowing this stuff to happen. Those tax laws that will help create funding for the country, reduce our debt, and support the 330million people who could use the social support the rest of the developed world? They'll only impact people making over $500k at the worst. You will never make that much money, so it should not be a concern to you.

Income is rising. If you're not seeing it here in TN, then you're not living somewhere that there is demand and/or where people are willing to push for a higher income. If your boss lets you work unlimited OT at 1.5x base, that means that you are getting paid too little. Because that means the employer isn't even batting an eye at your higher wage amount. This bitching and complaining about inflation when you do nothing about correcting it, when it's quite easy to do - just apply elsewhere - is fucking stupid.

/rant

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Forgot to note talked with "banking system will collapse, silver is the only real currency, don't tax me, and I only make $40k/yr" BIL last night. Talked about banking system, tax structure, etc. You could se him trying really hard to make arguments for why the entire bank system will and should collapse the same way SVB did.

He missed (and ignored) the part that the banks currently under threat have primarily commercial clients:
- First Republic and SVB are/were both commercial and HNW primarily
- Signature (in NY that failed 2 weeks ago) is commercial with 20% in crypto companies
- Huntington holds their own loans (low fixed rate debts, liquidity risk accordingly)
- Keycorp (commercial heavy), Comerica (commercial and private banking primarily)
- Truist (small business, HNW).

All have one substantial similarity - midsized banks with fewer clients that have large balances, vs. Chase/WFC/BAC/etc that all have primarily retail clients with much, much smaller accounts. One person/entity can take out 100 people's worth of money in a single transaction aka. leverage.

He's a perfect example of the ignorance of this country. "oh my god, the system is going to collapse!" No it's not dumbass. And know that the people that you put in charge are the ones that are allowing this stuff to happen. Those tax laws that will help create funding for the country, reduce our debt, and support the 330million people who could use the social support the rest of the developed world? They'll only impact people making over $500k at the worst. You will never make that much money, so it should not be a concern to you.

Income is rising. If you're not seeing it here in TN, then you're not living somewhere that there is demand and/or where people are willing to push for a higher income. If your boss lets you work unlimited OT at 1.5x base, that means that you are getting paid too little. Because that means the employer isn't even batting an eye at your higher wage amount. This bitching and complaining about inflation when you do nothing about correcting it, when it's quite easy to do - just apply elsewhere - is fucking stupid.

/rant
Next time your brother starts rambling on about nonsense this is the only way you should respond:

JVB-B8qfU0uelz5s94P-eVfgqtBas4ycp_sRY-F1aCs.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Eventually got back to sleep. Then 40 minutes of snuggles from my sweet middle child. I hope she stays snuggly forever.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Because a large portion of those populations also have cash-heavy employment, so likely aren't filing properly. The IRS discloses years in advance which "focus areas" they will be looking at coming soon. They also have standard triggers like when someone has greater deductions or smaller tax liabilities for their income that others in the same income level, or do some kind of transaction that is less traditional for someone at the same income level. If you are at the extremes of the bell curve, you will likely get audited.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Espresso please unfuzz my brain

Every time I make loaf of bread my hands and shoulder start to kill me by the middle of the night. The slap an fold method of working the dough makes for great bread but its killing me . Note to self: never get into a fight with a baker, their arms are way stronger than you think

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Espresso please unfuzz my brain

Every time I make loaf of bread my hands and shoulder start to kill me by the middle of the night. The slap an fold method of working the dough makes for great bread but its killing me . Note to self: never get into a fight with a baker, their arms are way stronger than you think
bread machine.....?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
They'll only impact people making over $500k at the worst. You will never make that much money, so it should not be a concern to you.
Tis funny, at the rate of inflation if you don't make 500k soon, you won't be able to afford the American dream.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Tis funny, at the rate of inflation if you don't make 500k soon, you won't be able to afford the American dream.
That's pretty overly ambitious. Use the calculator.

Check the actual data:

And look at the annualized amounts:

There is a lot more noise to it than actual impact. And it's largely being caused by labor prices rising, since the $3,000,000,000,000 that was dumped into the economy/market by Trump and crew should have been somewhat controlled by the substantial interest rate rises by now. Labor is what's driving these increases and labor prices are rising nationally. If you're not seeing that, then you are not offering your labor appropriately.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
That's pretty overly ambitious. Use the calculator.

Check the actual data:

And look at the annualized amounts:

There is a lot more noise to it than actual impact. And it's largely being caused by labor prices rising, since the $3,000,000,000,000 that was dumped into the economy/market by Trump and crew should have been somewhat controlled by the substantial interest rate rises by now. Labor is what's driving these increases and labor prices are rising nationally. If you're not seeing that, then you are not offering your labor appropriately.

Live in a major city and have four person household, two plus cars, yearly vacations.

Or worse, live where people really want to live.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Great lasagna for dinner then did my taxes. I was tucking myself into bed when I heard a weird noise on the street by my window. It sounded like boards and pipes being thrown around, but I couldn’t see anything outside. I called the cops to come by for a check. Noise from midnight to 1am. Cops arrived at 2am. No signs of anyone around but there was a bunch of broken glass on the sidewalk. My car was parked by the broken glass but the car looked untouched. Going for a walk soon to see what other signs are out there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
buying from the big bakeries is like saying taco bell makes good Burritos. semi edible but not satisfying. I enjoy the the process, developing a taste and consistency that satisfies my palate
Other than the smallest most authentic artisanal bakeries, they're probably using machines.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Other than the smallest most authentic artisanal bakeries, they're probably using machines.
yes and fortunately we have 3 such bakeries in town. I have no urge to consume the machine made product. And with my home made breads I know exactly what went into it. no preservatives or chemicals. Organic flour, sea salt, filtered water, starter, and spices of my choosing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yes and fortunately we have 3 such bakeries in town. I have no urge to consume the machine made product. And with my home made breads I know exactly what went into it. no preservatives or chemicals. Organic flour, sea salt, filtered water, starter, and spices of my choosing.
Probably a pinch of dog fur too. Although unlikely to be deliberate.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Live in a major city and have four person household, two plus cars, yearly vacations.

Or worse, live where people really want to live.
Denver:

Half of which are where Boomers are running to, others where jobs are and younger people are going to.

It's increasing 2x as fast as usual, but historically, these numbers have happened before and they've happened for upwards of a decade at a time. Conveniently, it's when incomes rose the most and housing prices dropped to the lowest historically (late-60's through early-80's) We've had historically low inflation rates for the last 15 years..

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado