Quantcast

☆▪︎○⊙°•¤Thursderp¤•°⊙●○▪︎☆

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I just got an update saying that the Mazda is "near completion". So far the bill is just below $2000. I was expecting a lot more. I would have just paid out of pocket and not filed a claim for 2 grand. :disgust:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
all this convo reminds me that we have a NIB meat grinder sitting in our garage that the MIL's boyfriend gave us for Christmas like 10 years ago. He worked in the restaurant supply industry. I need to sell that thing.
go on. Interested.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Buy bulk, food save, defrost as you want to eat foods. Save money. I buy tenderloin by the slab, cut it, seal it, freeze it, then defrost as I want it. It's filet for 60% the px by bulk.
Granted I've never done out the math, but I would be curious to know if it's more cost effective to go that route, taking into account the cost of bags, the vacuum sealer, an extra freezer, the electricity to run said freezer, and the space it occupies, versus paying a higher cost for the reasonable quantities of meat that the wife and I consume.

Might be a moot point if I get a deer this year and need another freezer anyway, but I'd love to know where the break even point is.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Granted I've never done out the math, but I would be curious to know if it's more cost effective to go that route, taking into account the cost of bags, the vacuum sealer, an extra freezer, the electricity to run said freezer, and the space it occupies, versus paying a higher cost for the reasonable quantities of meat that the wife and I consume.

Might be a moot point if I get a deer this year and need another freezer anyway, but I'd love to know where the break even point is.
For me, it’s also the convenience. I just like having food already at home and not having to shop all the time. I definitely save money buying bulk. I bought choice porterhouses the other day that are normally like $12-13lb for $4.77/lb. I picked up 10 of them for under $50. They are big enough to serve both my wife and I for dinner. I routine buy tri-tip for under $3/lb compared to the normal $6+. Makes more of a difference buying big cuts that a multiple pounds. The bags for the new vacmaster are pennies (.02-.03 depending on size, plus can easily reuse for stuff like cheese or cutting off a portion and re seal in the same bag). Combine that with cooking on the Traeger in bulk, saving the leftovers and having multiple meals from one cook and it adds up. The bags are also way nicer and cheaper than ziplocs. Nice to be able to seal stuff and not worry about leaking or opening in the fridge, especially for stuff like marinades. Plus, marinade under vacuum is amazing. 15 minutes tastes like overnight just normally bagged.

I picked up a small chest freezer on Black Friday at Best Buy for like $80. We have a bunch of stuff in there for easy meals for the kids when I don’t feel like cooking, plus a ton of meat. The biggest thing I notice with vacuum is not throwing away nearly as much food. One of the other main benefits of the chamber too is being able to seal liquids like soups, stews or anything along those lines. It evacuates the whole chamber, seals the bag and then releases. One of the demos you see a lot is vacuum sewing a bag of water.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
For me, it’s also the convenience. I just like having food already at home and not having to shop all the time. I definitely save money buying bulk. I bought choice porterhouses the other day that are normally like $12-13lb for $4.77/lb. I picked up 10 of them for under $50. They are big enough to serve both my wife and I for dinner. I routine buy tri-tip for under $3/lb compared to the normal $6+. Makes more of a difference buying big cuts that a multiple pounds. The bags for the new vacmaster are pennies (.02-.03 depending on size, plus can easily reuse for stuff like cheese or cutting off a portion and re seal in the same bag). Combine that with cooking on the Traeger in bulk, saving the leftovers and having multiple meals from one cook and it adds up. The bags are also way nicer and cheaper than ziplocs. Nice to be able to seal stuff and not worry about leaking or opening in the fridge, especially for stuff like marinades. Plus, marinade under vacuum is amazing. 15 minutes tastes like overnight just normally bagged.

I picked up a small chest freezer on Black Friday at Best Buy for like $80. We have a bunch of stuff in there for easy meals for the kids when I don’t feel like cooking, plus a ton of meat. The biggest thing I notice with vacuum is not throwing away nearly as much food. One of the other main benefits of the chamber too is being able to seal liquids like soups, stews or anything along those lines. It evacuates the whole chamber, seals the bag and then releases. One of the demos you see a lot is vacuum sewing a bag of water.
Fair enough. I suppose the convenience part is hard to assign a dollar value to.

Perhaps it is different with a commercial grade machine, but a butcher I spoke with this past fall said he doesn't recommend Food Saver grade machines. Something about the bags and seal being mediocre quality leading to moisture incursion and freezer burn. He said you are better off doing cling wrap and pressing the air out, then wrapping that in butcher paper. Claimed that things will last indefinitely wrapped like that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

modern chest freezers are rather efficient and don't draw a ton of current.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

have you looked into going to a butch shop and buying super bulk? like a half cow at a time?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fair enough. I suppose the convenience part is hard to assign a dollar value to.

Perhaps it is different with a commercial grade machine, but a butcher I spoke with this past fall said he doesn't recommend Food Saver grade machines. Something about the bags and seal being mediocre quality leading to moisture incursion and freezer burn. He said you are better off doing cling wrap and pressing the air out, then wrapping that in butcher paper. Claimed that things will last indefinitely wrapped like that.
If he's buying USDA Choice anyway he probably won't notice the difference.

:D

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
If he's buying USDA Choice anyway he probably won't notice the difference.

I buy both haha. But Prime is never on sale and there’s usually no point to freezing it for me since I can just walk in any time and buy fresh or go to a butcher and get what I want. I pretty much buy choice on sale and freeze. I ain’t boujie enough to eat nothing but prime. Most days, food is food and I’m trying to eat well but not break the bank.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
have you looked into going to a butch shop and buying super bulk? like a half cow at a time?
I haven’t. But it might be worth a look. There’s not really any good butchers around here. The two closest that I know of are a trip in themselves. One of the guys at work said back in the day he and his buddy bought a whole cow at 4H auction and split all the meat. He said it was the best beef he’s ever had.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Still need to install/shorten the chain, cut the post and figure out how to keep the saddle from wobbling, and buy some new F%$@&#$ing SRAM fancy hose barbs as I installed mine backwards and that apparently doesn't work...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
stoney and the mrs. get a 1/2 cow every year IIRC. I've often thought of doing the same but I have no room.
We have considered it, but the garage freezer has a lot of stuff in it, so we would need another (or a chest). But honestly between the meat sale, Cash and Carry, and just plain old WinCo, our meat budget is nice.

<edit> the wife's uncle raises cattle and we could get a good deal on it and we know where it's been raised.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Tax return rejected by the feds because THEY changed the EV credit form after the fact. :rolleyes:
I probably should do my taxes soon. I'm probably going to get a bunch back this year. Or at least not have to pay a metric fuck ton like usual.

edit: And before Brian can jump in and say some shit about paying taxes, I'm cool with it. I just hate getting a $15k whack all at once because Cheeto Jeezus keeps adjusting the fucking tax code and fucking up my withholdings.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Still need to install/shorten the chain, cut the post and figure out how to keep the saddle from wobbling, and buy some new F%$@&#$ing SRAM fancy hose barbs as I installed mine backwards and that apparently doesn't work...
Cervelo?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I probably should do my taxes soon. I'm probably going to get a bunch back this year. Or at least not have to pay a metric fuck ton like usual.

edit: And before Brian can jump in and say some shit about paying taxes, I'm cool with it. I just hate getting a $15k whack all at once because Cheeto Jeezus keeps adjusting the fucking tax code and fucking up my withholdings.
I should probably do that too, although I have zero idea WTF my tax situation will be. Only income last year was tax returns and a pittance from the sale of investments.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My effective tax rate is laughably low every year. It's kinda ridiculous.
This. I'd much rather see my effective tax rate be inline with how much I pay for insurance if public and adjusted for a non-capped Social Security. I'm okay with taxes, as long as they are spent on people not corporations.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Nice Fury!!

Rode a little. It's cold and windy out there. Hit the most steep downhill and the only tabletop jump in the Fells, then headed home. Now burger and beers with wifey.