Quantcast

♢◆♢Thursday GMT♢◆♢

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good morning Monkies! After yesterday's ride I am confident that I can push the giggle pig up anything at between 1 and 1.5 miles per hour. Carey, the guy we rode behind, strava'd it at 18.51 miles, 3802 feet of gain and 5562 feet of loss due to shuttle. Today I will rest...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Currently got about 30 elk eating all the wild flowers in our garden. Wife loves our wild flowers, but also likes seeing the elk - conundrum.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Currently got about 30 elk eating all the wild flowers in our garden. Wife loves our wild flowers, but also likes seeing the elk - conundrum.
No ticks in your neck of the woods?

Morning. Executive briefing from hell finished. Gotta love it when the guy at the top grills middle managers for doing what their executive managers told them to do. :bonk:

In other new, the new DHX2 should be arriving today. That should make a difference in the smooth fire roads group rides. :rolleyes:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No ticks in your neck of the woods?
Yep, always careful about them particularly after having lived in the NE.

Just shouted at the one big bull elk who was helping himself to my fenced in maple tree sapling.

Random photo out the kitchen window:
20170831_073200_resized.jpg

Last edited:

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Just as I went to bed last night, 2 packs of coyotes started calling each other. One was north of the house and the other was south. Their symphony of howls thankfully only lasted for about 20 minutes. Kinda hard to sleep with all that natural racket.

And the truth will set you free....
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/5994x5/watch-david-icke-conspiracy-of-the-lizard-illuminati?utm_campaign=global&utm_medium=ctabutton&utm_source=vicefbuk
I love listening to coyotes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yep, always careful about them particularly after having lived in the NE.
You ever see any up there?

I've been in CO 25 years and I've only had 1 tick on me - from walking through sagebrush.

Then again, I've been sitting out on summer evenings on my back deck for 13 years and have only seen probably a dozen mosquitoes.

Insect pests seem to hate it out here. :D

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Hello.

So, even with frequent visits to the Ridemonkey Lounge GMT threads, I still managed to convince myself that it was Thursday all day, YESTERDAY.

Well, 3 days left of work for the week.

Group ride tonight, then bike maintenance night tomorrow as the Ghost is starting to creak here and there. Sounds like i have a dirty bottom, bracket....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Post work hike, happy hour & dinner were a nice humpday treat. New chica is pretty rad. Woke up with a face full of her hair & her dog sleeping on me. :dirol:
View from the trail by my house.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Day 1 of solo parenting night down. All flights to Cabo today and tomorrow were cancelled, so my wife ended up re-booking to go to Hawaii with her sisters. I'm off work tomorrow, but my mom is doing me a solid and watching the kids so I can hit the bike park. Then three more days of solo dadding.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Yesterdays ride with my brother was aborted mid-term due to lightning. But, riding is riding, and riding with my brother is better. I can still out climb him, which brought joy to my fat ass, but he still descends like a monster. Scary fast. Massage last night too, means I am le sore this morning, but I can't believe what a difference it makes with my shoulder during the times in between.

More household shit and some grocery shopping to get done today. Better get the dogs out before I have to clean carpet.

I may need to make another espresso.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin peeps!

Hanging out in Douglas, WY for a bit before heading up to MT. Planning to get to the start of the Beartooth Highway tonight. Fun fact, going between 75-80 mph into a stiff breeze my truck returned 14.6 mpg. That's kinda bad.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Mornin peeps!

Hanging out in Douglas, WY for a bit before heading up to MT. Planning to get to the start of the Beartooth Highway tonight. Fun fact, going between 75-80 mph into a stiff breeze my truck returned 14.6 mpg. That's kinda bad.
Fun fact: 70 sucks, 80 is meh, 90 will get you places. The chances of a speeding ticket on Montana state highways is like once every 8 years... even if you do get pulled over it's only $75. Play the odds...

As an FYI - should anyone care: the 2017 Subaru wagon has averaged 24.9 MPG for 3000 miles, the majority at highway speeds over 75. The 2007 Wagon with a manual averaged 21.2 lifetime MPG mainly due to a top end gear that turned 3500 RPM for 75 MPH, it also handled better at high speeds.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Mornin peeps!

douglas is kind of nice for being in the middle of nowhere if i am remembering correctly.

beware...i have gotten tickets in wyoming and montana....first time i went out there....if you aint in a hurry....don't speed...too much to see...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fun fact: 70 sucks, 80 is meh, 90 will get you places. The chances of a speeding ticket on Montana state highways is like once every 8 years... even if you do get pulled over it's only $75. Play the odds...

As an FYI - should anyone care: the 2017 Subaru wagon has averaged 24.9 MPG for 3000 miles, the majority at highway speeds over 75. The 2007 Wagon with a manual averaged 21.2 lifetime MPG mainly due to a top end gear that turned 3500 RPM for 75 MPH, it also handled better at high speeds.
Interesting.. my wrx averaged 21.96 over the time that I owned it. https://tinyurl.com/pbnr5el

My buddy who recently purchased a Crosstrek has apparently been getting stellar MPG, over 800km to a tank. Then again, that thing can barely get up to highway speed. :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Great turnout at Portland Raceway last night for the last cruise in of the season. Was also sponsored by Mt Hood Corvette Club, so there were way too many Vette's there. But it seems while we were at PIR, the cops were at the neighbors house for the 2nd time in 2 weeks.

She was screaming "He's gonna kill me!!!" and someone called the cops. Sounds like it got pretty heated, not sure if anyone got locked up or not. I have a feeling they might e gone before we get a chance to move.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Mornin peeps!

One thing I will miss about my little Cruze was it would do really well on highway fuel economy going 75+

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here.

Haley had her "skills assessment" this morning. She's light years beyond her classmates to the point that she will likely be doing at least reading/grammar and math with the 1st graders. Last night we were reading about Europa and Callisto (Jupiter's moons) before bed. I think we might need to look at some more expansive options beyond public school or at least the public schools on this end of town. Our friends (from Primrose school) who live in higher income parts of town have whole classes testing in at much higher levels, such that the "normal kids" will be effectively in a remedial level courses, as everybody else is in grade level above education.

This does explain her frustration and behavior issues a lot though, as she's getting bored and not being challenged at school. We had that issue at Primrose until we and the teachers realized it and put her into a higher level of skill work.

All of my bike parts came in yesterday too. Bike is getting rebuilt this weekend after the radiator for the Subie gets put in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haley had her "skills assessment" this morning. She's light years beyond her classmates to the point that she will likely be doing at least reading/grammar and math with the 1st graders. Last night we were reading about Europa and Callisto (Jupiter's moons) before bed. I think we might need to look at some more expansive options beyond public school or at least the public schools on this end of town. Our friends (from Primrose school) who live in higher income parts of town have whole classes testing in at much higher levels, such that the "normal kids" will be effectively in a remedial level courses, as everybody else is in grade level above education.

This does explain her frustration and behavior issues a lot though, as she's getting bored and not being challenged at school. We had that issue at Primrose until we and the teachers realized it and put her into a higher level of skill work.
i had this exact problem as a student.

in high school i was doing so-so in algebra 2 (10th grade). my teacher had a conference w/ my parents to discuss concerns, and they had me evaluated by an outside tutor. flew through the stuff he tried that was on the level of my alg 2 class. then kept pushing it. and pushing it. by the time the session was over i was doing college level calculus and he realized i was just bored in class.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Good morning Monkies! After yesterday's ride I am confident that I can push the giggle pig up anything at between 1 and 1.5 miles per hour. Carey, the guy we rode behind, strava'd it at 18.51 miles, 3802 feet of gain and 5562 feet of loss due to shuttle. Today I will rest...
IMG_20170831_104740.jpg
IMG_20170831_104526.jpg
IMG_20170831_104612.jpg

Rare Alpine giggle pig sighting, I too am a broken man today...

ETA: Curly Lake Highline FTW...

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You ever see any up there?

I've been in CO 25 years and I've only had 1 tick on me - from walking through sagebrush.

Then again, I've been sitting out on summer evenings on my back deck for 13 years and have only seen probably a dozen mosquitoes.

Insect pests seem to hate it out here. :D
I would guess you repulse insects and people equally.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I wish I could say the same. People avoid me, as do mosquitos, but ticks f'ing love me.

I am rather happy to no longer be in tick heaven. I have found as many as 20 ticks on me after a ride even after drenching myself in DEET. I often question when I feel like shit all the time whether I am just getting old or if I have some latent tick born disease.