Quantcast

✠✠✠GMT FRIDAY If you don't like me doing it then GET UP EARLIER GMT✠✠✠

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ideally yes. But diamonds can get damaged. Reselling a used diamond engagement ring with a good ROI is more difficult than you might think. Also, the wife keeps it in the divorce anyway so in the end it's just another wedding expense.
I thought that a judge had ruled the engagement ring was a promise to marry, not a gift. Maybe that's just for folks who don't go through with it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I thought that a judge had ruled the engagement ring was a promise to marry, not a gift. Maybe that's just for folks who don't go through with it.
Had not heard that but I do live in the South where our customs are backwards a wee bit different than the PNW.

Might have to become a Divorce Attorney after my AT Thru Hike. You know, spend the next few decades un-doing all those that I have ruined. Full circle...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The wife and I took 3 friends with us and rented a house overlooking the Columbia River. The pictures the day before were the most expensive. But even with my suit and her dress it was still only about $2k all in with the house for 3 days.
Wife and I spent $15K total on our nuptials. That got free reign over an entire B&B and their property, including the bang shack, aka the newlyweds cabin, about 12 rooms, the wedding barn, and all things wedding related. It also covered our 2 week honeymoon in Costa Rica. Luckily the FIL had set that money aside for us, otherwise we would have been going the el cheapo route.

And that does not include the cost of the engagement ring and wedding bands. Average, traditional looking, one carat diamond solitaire runs at least $10k. And that's not designer stuff either.
Glad my wife wanted a sapphire then. I ended up with a moderately ornate, paladium setting with a 1.33 carat sapphire for a fraction of that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wife and I spent $15K total on our nuptials. That got free reign over an entire B&B and their property, including the bang shack, aka the newlyweds cabin, about 12 rooms, the wedding barn, and all things wedding related. It also covered our 2 week honeymoon in Costa Rica. Luckily the FIL had set that money aside for us, otherwise we would have been going the el cheapo route.
wife and i waited over a year to take our honeymoon, and it was better as a result.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Spent a couple of hours looking for dad's death certificate. Fell down a memory hole looking through old pics, paperwork, etc. :( lets get this day over with, it's beer time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Spent a couple of hours looking for dad's death certificate. Fell down a memory hole looking through old pics, paperwork, etc. :(
i've been trying to centralize all my old family photos, documents, letters from my grandparents (and parents), family memorabilia, etc. my fireproof box is full. it may soon be time to upgrade to a larger fireproof safe.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
but the diamond will retain its value over time. just sayin'
Ideally yes. But diamonds can get damaged. Reselling a used diamond engagement ring with a good ROI is more difficult than you might think. Also, the wife keeps it in the divorce anyway so in the end it's just another wedding expense.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
If only. These are for drilling a shit ton of tiny holes in stuff. Like 30k-300k holes per minute. Currently at 5 microns with 10 micron accuracy.

They don't call them holes, they are vias.
We should talk. We manufacture the machines that make sure the holes are the correct size and in the correct position. Lumberyard session and then beers? I could expense it...?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The Diamond trade is run very much like oil cartels. There are about five families that control the pricing and quantity of stones released per year. I personally don't see the appeal. They're just over priced clear rocks and the profit margins are significantly smaller than colored gemstones such as Ruby and Sapphire. I'll sell someone a diamond but am just as content to sell a 5mm White Sapphire for $160 that is the same size as a half carat diamond that costs nearly $2k.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Diamond trade is run very much like oil cartels. There are about five families that control the pricing and quantity of stones released per year. I personally don't see the appeal. They're just over priced clear rocks and the profit margins are significantly smaller than colored gemstones such as Ruby and Sapphire. I'll sell someone a diamond but am just as content to sell a 5mm White Sapphire for $160 that is the same size as a half carat diamond that costs nearly $2k.
The world's best marketing has been diamonds. "2 months salary" was an all time great.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We should talk. We manufacture the machines that make sure the holes are the correct size and in the correct position. Lumberyard session and then beers? I could expense it...?
I'm a temp who's gone at the end of the month. I know Jack shit about how it does the thing. My work has been automating the testing of the desktop app running in shallow simulation. I haven't taken the required laser safety so I don't get to do the thing.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The world's best marketing has been diamonds. "2 months salary" was an all time great.
I'm still amazed that people get all huffy about having to have a diamond that some poor child has suffered to extract from some African mine when you can get a lab created rock that's better quality, bigger, cheaper, and indistinguishable from the "real" thing.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Glad my wife wanted a sapphire then. I ended up with a moderately ornate, paladium setting with a 1.33 carat sapphire for a fraction of that.
Tungsten rings for engagement and wedding ~$60 each, job done for us :D

Eloping for the wedding meant a grand total of ~$4k which was basically a 10 day MTB trip with a wedding in the middle.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Tungsten rings for engagement and wedding ~$60 each, job done for us :D

Eloping for the wedding meant a grand total of ~$4k which was basically a 10 day MTB trip with a wedding in the middle.
You clearly don't love each other - xoxo, the diamond industry.

Had not heard that but I do live in the South where our customs are backwards a wee bit different than the PNW.

Might have to become a Divorce Attorney after my AT Thru Hike. You know, spend the next few decades un-doing all those that I have ruined. Full circle...
H and I never married since getting together in 1969; I eventually gave her a silver ring set with an opal, which subsequently got lost. Quite a while back her grandmother gave her own wedding ring to H, a fair sized polygon of transparent carbon set in platinum.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm still amazed that people get all huffy about having to have a diamond that some poor child has suffered to extract from some African mine when you can get a lab created rock that's better quality, bigger, cheaper, and indistinguishable from the "real" thing.
The wife had a few requirements for her ring, one was no stone. Mostly because she used to wear gloves for work and a sticky uppy rock doesn't do well. The other was she wanted something unique. Turns out I knew a guy.

I honestly can't even tell you how happy we both are with our rings. @AngryMetalsmith was awesome to deal with and the dude is an artist.

The wife's necklace turned out awesome, too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The wife had a few requirements for her ring, one was no stone. Mostly because she used to wear gloves for work and a sticky uppy rock doesn't do well. The other was she wanted something unique. Turns out I knew a guy.

I honestly can't even tell you how happy we both are with our rings. @AngryMetalsmith was awesome to deal with and the dude is an artist.

The wife's necklace turned out awesome, too.
Once the lawsuit settles I will be helping to fund our resident angry Smith

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Back from Texas, my car sitting in -F temps all week at the airport. IT STARTED! F-yeah. Then I jumped someone's subaru who didn't have jumper cables.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are there any pics of his work? :picsstfu:
He took way better pics of them than I can. I will look for them.

A gal at my wife's office said "Oh yeah, I have seen ones like that" and she said "No you haven't, because these are the only ones." :rofl:

He has done some since, but it was the first set he had done since it was something AMS and I talked through based on stuff he had done before.