Quantcast

100 ft drop? Thats what the word is.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
punkassean said:
Now all the chit talkers on pinkbike are going to start measuring their drops in square feet, thanks man!!! :rolleyes: :eviltongu

:D
I used to ride with a guy who always estimated drops at 3 times what they really were. No kidding, it was always almost exactly 3 times the real height. So we had to come up with an equation system to take his estimate and get the real height. We used his initials as X. LD=actual drop height X 3. If given an LD measurement, we would simply divide by 3 and there's your real height. The difference in people's perspectives is funny sometimes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So wait, he can't drop off a retaining wall in Utah without being hauled out in an ambulance with the rest of us shaking our heads, yet he wants to go for 100 feet?

Sweet - who is gonna make sure the coroner is on site?

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
Transcend said:
So wait, he can't drop off a retaining wall in Utah without being hauled out in an ambulance with the rest of us shaking our heads, yet he wants to go for 100 feet?

Sweet - who is gonna make sure the coroner is on site?

I don't think its bender doing it. and he only went in abulance bcause they made him not because he wanted to. HE sais if the drop was out in the desert then they would've tossed him a beer and he would be out riding the next day

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sk8kid33 said:
I don't think its bender doing it. and he only went in abulance bcause they made him not because he wanted to. HE sais if the drop was out in the desert then they would've tossed him a beer and he would be out riding the next day
I was there, about 8 ft away. He was out cold.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
sk8kid33 said:
ok I guess you showed me but out cold doesn't mean you have to go to the hospital. I am basing my information of the bender interviews in double down
Actually if you are knocked out cold from head trauma then I HIGHLY suggest that you go to a hospital. And Double Down is one of the worst bike movies I have ever witnessed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sk8kid33 said:
ok I guess you showed me but out cold doesn't mean you have to go to the hospital. I am basing my information of the bender interviews in double down
You must be the man then!

Are you for real? Must be darwisnism at work. Man, I love that guy.

Also, using double down, or any of the down movies as a factual basis for anything, is the second most absurd thing I heave heard today. (we covered the first thing at the begining of this post).

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
heikkihall said:
Actually if you are knocked out cold from head trauma then I HIGHLY suggest that you go to a hospital. And Double Down is one of the worst bike movies I have ever witnessed.
I agree with the double down being terrible I got and gave it away. I hate all thor wixom videos exept statement

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
sk8kid33 said:
depens on policy. When i worked for the city rec dept, anyone getting knocked out or fainting was automatic ambulance. If theres any hemerraging that isnt detected, you can wake up dead...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The other morning I woke up with a pounding hangover that I kind of wished I was dead. And no it wasn't from that 100 ft drop. :blah: :blah: :blah:

We are crippling this best thread ever wit respect. Yo.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
100 ft == 30.5 m == 1/2 g t^2. call g 9.81 m/s^2 and we get t, the hang time, to be around 2.5 seconds, so he'd hit the ground at 24ish m/s, or just about 55 mph.

other musings: 120 ft/s^2 is around 36 m/s^2. last i checked g isn't that high on earth :D . also, 110 fps and 24 m/s are not very close either, so either i screwed up or zedro did :monkey:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Toshi said:
100 ft == 30.5 m == 1/2 g t^2. call g 9.81 m/s^2 and we get t, the hang time, to be around 2.5 seconds, so he'd hit the ground at 24ish m/s, or just about 55 mph.

other musings: 120 ft/s^2 is around 36 m/s^2. last i checked g isn't that high on earth :D . also, 110 fps and 24 m/s are not very close either, so either i screwed up or zedro did :monkey:
geez all those complicated equations...just follow the units.

sqrt ( 120 ft/s^2 * 100 ft) = 109.5 ft/s

oops, shoulda read more closely...i only worked in metric so its always 9.81 m/s^2....i just took his 120ft/s^2 number without thought....i hate imp/metric conversions they can all go to hell yarrrggg (dont know how many exams were ruined because of that)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
zedro said:
geez all those complicated equations...just follow the units.

sqrt ( 120 ft/s^2 * 100 ft) = 109.5 ft/s
uh, did you take a look at the units yourself? :nuts:

ft/s^2 * ft == ft^2 / s^2

or "nonsense" in other words

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
you guys have TOTALLY lost me :help:
the take home results:

a) zedro gets confused late at night :D
b) earth's gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 at typical altitudes. 120 ft/s^2 is not equal to this, so is not representative of gravity (i wonder what DT was thinking of with this figure)
c) whoever jumps off of a 100 ft drop will hit the ground or transition at around 55 mph :dead:

B

bigkonarider

I guess if it makes that person happy.It's a Free Country...
Sounds pretty extremely risky on a mtn bike..Leave this to the SKIIERS on "SNOW"

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
Tully said:
Skiers have done drops over 200 feet (I think the record's like 220 or 250), albeit a much softer landing.
"In 1995, Ahern jumped an astounding 225 feet into wind-packed snow, cushioning the blow by filling his backpack with Styrofoam."

He also broke his sternum. Paul Ruff died trying a 160-footer at Kirkwood: he did a last-second check turn, and in so doing, failed to clear the rocks.

Skiers aren't sticking the 100+ footers, really. They're backslapping (or hip-checking) and skiing away before the cloud of snow dissipates. You can't backslap on a mountain bike.

Plus, you can easily check your speed on skis, even on the steepest slopes. There's not much to be done on a steep MTB tranny but ride it out. Even if someone lands the 100-foot drop, it'll be really hard to not eat it going 70+ down the rest of the slope.

For these reasons, I'm confident that skiers will always be able to go bigger than mountain bikers.

B

bigkonarider

Check out "Focused" dvd-the skiiing one that came out last year or so..
----------
Now out is "Focused" Mountain bike DVD that's supposed to be like 2 hours long of racing,etc..
Skiers go HUGE!!
Richey Schley ,Dave Watson,Joe Schwartz,Bender,Romaniouk,& "others" are ALL killer & really step up going huge...I would **** my pants at some of the stuff they do..BALLS"Big balls"

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Toshi said:
the take home results:

a) zedro gets confused late at night :D
b) earth's gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 at typical altitudes. 120 ft/s^2 is not equal to this, so is not representative of gravity (i wonder what DT was thinking of with this figure)
c) whoever jumps off of a 100 ft drop will hit the ground or transition at around 55 mph :dead:

Too much Christmas cheer

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Zedro was confused.
He may have been referring to terminal velocity

Terminal velocity (Human Body's weight=Air resistance)
120ft/s

(It is not squared because he would not be accelerating.)

However, that of a person on a bike may be slightly more.
Unfortunately that is irrelevant.