Quantcast

11 speed 11-50 cassette...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So what it appears... is that if and when I get a new bike, I'm gonna need to get a 32 front chainring and a 9x50 cassette?

WTF. Are front derailleurs REALLY that fucking bad?

Fucking bike industry. :rant:
Do you actually use those top end gears? I sure don't. I'd probably be fine with a 1 x 7, lopping off the 4 smallest cogs out back... but then again I like to coast when it goes downhill.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do you actually use those top end gears? I sure don't. I'd probably be fine with a 1 x 7, lopping off the 4 smallest cogs out back... but then again I like to coast when it goes downhill.
I've been riding a lot of downhill (really it's barely down) as of late that gets me in those smallest 4 cogs regularly. In my 42-tooth chainring to boot.

Perhaps I just need to change WHAT I ride.

I think I'm gonna demo a GG MT soon-ish, if for no other reason than to try out this 1x bullshit and see if I can tolerate it. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How can that be good to ride? I climb in the 2nd and 3rd cogs, too, depending on the slope. It's like that Mega whatever cog that used to be (still is?) on department store bikes...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How can that be good to ride? I climb in the 2nd and 3rd cogs, too, depending on the slope. It's like that Mega whatever cog that used to be (still is?) on department store bikes...
Yeah, with a jump that big between first and second, that's just a giving up on life gear.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Maybe he has a Hite Rite or whatever that manual springy "dropper" was…

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I really like the 1x setup. I was skeptical at first but I really like the simplicity of it and it's forced me to stop being lazy. I really think I should step up a couple teeth in front because I'm spinning out pretty easy going down but nah im fine being lazy:)

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
:stupid:, curse as much as you want about 1x11 and pie plate cassettes, but that shizz has its undeniable merit.

It might sound counterintuitive, but this (southern) summer I actually got in worse shape than I was in the past winter. The main reason was temperature, holding above 37 Celsius for over two months, with 80% plus humidity. I just couldn't stand riding like that.

Anyway, I picked up a SunRace MX8 11-46 cassette to pair it up to my 32t front ring. It's basically an old 9-speed 11-36 cassette with two extra cogs in the lower end.

I like the stepping, and since it has enabled my fat ass to climb 10-mile-plus fire roads again, I couldn't be happier.

I don't usually spin out while going downhill because the nearest DH/Enderpo location I can go to has so many rocks and drops and so little pedal friendly sections I just put enough pedal stomping as to clear the jumps or get some speed after a tight turn.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So what it appears... is that if and when I get a new bike, I'm gonna need to get a 32 front chainring and a 9x50 cassette?

Bigger wheels need pie plate cassette cogs apparently. Which is convenient for the bike industry since they need to sell us more unnecessary crap.

26" wasn't broke and didn't need fixing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What you're all failing to see with these fucking frisbee gears is that these aren't designed to give extra range. No. The bike industry just wants to lull you into a false sense of accomplishment by making it easier to pedal instead of pushing yourself to get into better shape so you don't need this kind of ridiculous fucking nonsense. The end game here is to get you to accept and ultimately purchase an e-bike. Dinner plate cassettes are just a stepping stone on that path. A big fucking useless 50T stepping stone.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Don't you ever drop your chain? That's the only reason I ever went 1x. With clutch derailleurs and narrow-wide rings, I wasn't dropping chains anymore. Those two inventions and tubeless tires got rid of the two shittiest parts of mountain biking for me: dropped chains and constant flats. Any other "improvement" after that.... (10-42 cassettes, Boost, 650b)... I agree with you. Fucking bike industry. :rant:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't you ever drop your chain? That's the only reason I ever went 1x. With clutch derailleurs and narrow-wide rings, I wasn't dropping chains anymore. Those two inventions and tubeless tires got rid of the two shittiest parts of mountain biking for me: dropped chains and constant flats. Any other "improvement" after that.... (10-42 cassettes, Boost, 650b)... I agree with you. Fucking bike industry. :rant:
SS isn't exactly a "fast" rider.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
So, ES ET SAFE to run a narrow/wide chain ring despite running NO crutch derailleur??? (and thus removing 32 special chain guide)

Asking for a frenemy!

ESS EIT SAFE?!??!!?

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I am waiting for a derailleur with an extra hinge point to accommodate 8-75 tooth rear cassettes, then we can start looking for cassette guards for the rear wheel

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Whoa. Math dudes. Whoever is buying a 46 or 50t cassette, and not changing their chainring, well they're special.

If you are interested in the most range (not spinning out, but ability to mimic a 2x), THAT is why you buy a 50t cassette. My buddy rides one, on a 29er, with a 36t ring. He can flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down the trail, never spin out, and on the occasional time we need to take a gravel or paved road to connect Pisgah gnar gnar, he never spins out.

30t/42t gearing ratio = 0.714 (2.72 at 11t side)
36t/50t gearing ratio = 0.720 (3.27 at 11t side)

So practically the same gear on your steepest climb, but largely the gain is on the top end, top speed, top gun. For a very similar spinning option to your old setup.

When this stuff doesn't cost as much as a new fork, I'll make that move. For now, my 30/42 SRAM GX setup for $200-300 is gold.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The other issue is that everybody designs enduro full suspension bikes around 32ish tooth chainrings, and going to bigger ones significantly reduces anti-squat and makes them pedal worse.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The other issue is that everybody designs enduro full suspension bikes around 32ish tooth chainrings, and going to bigger ones significantly reduces anti-squat and makes them pedal worse.
My Rallón R4 clearly states Orbea doesn't recommend anything bigger than 32 for the chainring. It has a ton of AS, but I'm still holding on to a 32t, partly because I'm slow as a slug.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout