Quantcast

12 28 !!!@!!! 82 21

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Small family party because my family is small. Hoagie tray and tomato pie from corropolese, and my wife made buffalo chicken dip. Day 4 of day drinking.

Returning to work in January is back to full time remote.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Paging @stoney to the white courtesy phone........
Is he giving away money today?

Just talked to our relator and the house we're looking at already has 6 offers (first showing was yesterday), but he's confident that if we offered $200k over asking we'd be the frontrunner. What in the shit?

Today's second pro-tip, never be optimistic, I went from not expecting to sell my house and happy enough, to excited to finally live in a nice neighborhood, to super bummed because I'm still going to live exactly where I was happy enough to live 72 hours ago. Going back to curmudgeons mode.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Another warm day today, upper 60s. Actually had to go into the office and sign checks and do admin bullshit. Promptly GTFO and Came home to replace the pads and rotor I cooked on yesterdays ride. I guess I’ll try harder to bed-in this set. SRAM seems a lot more finicky then Shimano.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Meanwhile, 45 degrees and raining in Alaska. Thank you.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just talked to our relator and the house we're looking at already has 6 offers (first showing was yesterday), but he's confident that if we offered $200k over asking we'd be the frontrunner. What in the shit?
What area of Murica (I presume) are we talking about?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What area of Murica (I presume) are we talking about?
Thousand Oaks, little north of LA. I knew the housing market was hot, but I figured $50k over asking at worst.

The thing that really boggles my mind is that a house around the corner from the one we were looking at sold a month ago for $5k more than this one is listed at, and it was completely updated and beautiful inside and out, this one is very 1990s, owned by an old lady and it shows.

Back to shopping for a new microwave for my wee shanty.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My friends in Eagle Rock paid 250k over asking on a million dollar home 2 months ago that they are now stripping to the studs and he acted as their realtor. Fuck everything about home ownership in LA. :fie:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My friends in Eagle Rock paid 250k over asking on a million dollar home 2 months ago that they are now stripping to the studs and he acted as their realtor. Fuck everything about home ownership in LA. :fie:

Not that Washington isn't just California with shitty weather.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fixed, Ventura County is as close as I'll ever live to that shithole.

Other States need to start paying teachers better, we'd love to fly the coop here but the pay-cut my wife would take pretty much anywhere else is hilarious/tragic. Also I wore shorts to work today, what the say about the weather is true.
i, too, wore shorts today...but teacher pay here ain't great....but cost of living is lower?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fixed, Ventura County is as close as I'll ever live to that shithole.

Other States need to start paying teachers better, we'd love to fly the coop here but the pay-cut my wife would take pretty much anywhere else is hilarious/tragic. Also I wore shorts to work today, what the say about the weather is true.

Private school gigs pay a lot better from what I hear. However private school parents may not be worth the money.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
actually pretty sure it's the opposite, at least around here...benefit is the kids are generally at a higher level, better behaved, and the classes are smaller.

I have a few friends who teach at private schools and yeah the kids are better behaved and harder working but it sounds like for every kid who isn't at the top of the class there is a parent blaming and berating the teacher.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a few friends who teach at private schools and yeah the kids are better behaved and harder working but it sounds like for every kid who isn't at the top of the class there is a parent blaming and berating the teacher.
They should get charged extra.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney this is a sub-post about you
I am 100% about public school. I work with teachers daily and the most underpaid are charter school, which are still better paid than private - which are often there because of beliefs vs. dollars.

Hannah is in a private infant through preschool daycare, which Haley was in too. We've been pretty lackadaisical about the school and their programs over the 6 years we've had the girls there. The teachers have historically been good and while we didn't agree with a lot of how the owner did things, they were generally pretty good.

There is a new owner that has stopped minding parent requests that teachers wear masks - through all age groups. Roughly half of the parents work medical (Kaiser, UC Health, and Children's within 1/2 mile) and still no concern. There have been multiple COVID breakouts with minimal notification, only to parents within the specific class impacted - despite the fact teachers bounce classes and kids commingle. They've also not adjusted pay to teachers since COVID started, so we've lost real teachers and are getting more teacher turnover.

We've been talking about getting 3 other families involved to hire a teacher directly. The thing is, we're all on the same page - we just want someone who can do school-based daycare. If they want lesson plans, etc, we'll pay for them. We just want someone who will be vaccinated and wear a mask. If they are sick, tell us and we can watch our kids. Someone who actually likes being a teacher, because they want to be a teacher. We're all really laid back - just watch them with an educational base structure.

And the sad thing, is that with 4 families, we'll probably be able to pay them more than her current school. Extra benefit is if we find someone with a same age kid, can probably (unquestionably) get someone to come out of home parenting for $50k/yr (with bonus and ret. plan). They get daycare handled (self), get an educational structure for their kid, and they get paid for it. Oh and that would be the same they get paid by all 3 major local school districts, which means 25+ kids.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Small family party because my family is small. Hoagie tray and tomato pie from corropolese, and my wife made buffalo chicken dip. Day 4 of day drinking.

Returning to work in January is back to full time remote.
So, did they make the Hoagie tray, or did you just get the bread there?