Quantcast

2 gun free zones, 2 more shootings

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Sounds like a typical day in Baltimore City!

Baltimore, America's undiscovered gem!
As long as you are willing to venture past the crime scene tape to see it! :biggrin:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
fred phelps coming to town today
The Westboro Baptist Church out of Topeka, Kansas announced Monday representatives would show up to protest New Life Church Wednesday.

The announcement by the outspoken and anti-homosexual group arrived at KKTV Monday. The first line reads "Thank god for sending this tragedy,” going on to include, "God hates New Life Church," before including Biblical references and anti-gay language.
wouldn't it be nice if lightning struck twice?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Those f-tards very nearly got their asses beaten at the funeral of a local green beret. When they approached the state troopers for protection they got a face-full of horse ass and eventually packed up and left.
i'm sure there's a market out there which supports contract gang-raping of this fool. you know the type: can't get protection on the street from other gangs once paroled, so they know it's safer to be in a supermax.

i'm confident we can pass the hat around here to gain sufficient funding such that fred & co will get teh aids, hep 3, & chalupa fever.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What's the difference between Fred Phelps and most Christians anyways? Fred's just more strident, that's all.

(The same argument is made about Muslims all the time, you'll recall. It's only fair to apply it to another group of Abrahamic nutcases.)
Well, the fact that 99%+ of other Christians think these guys are not only wrong, but complete nutcases, kind of works against your point...they don't secretly support anything these guys stand for...even if they're Christians who don't, say, support gay marriage.

Again, this is coming from a fellow atheist...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, the fact that 99%+ of other Christians think these guys are not only wrong, but complete nutcases, kind of works against your point...they don't secretly support anything these guys stand for...even if they're Christians who don't, say, support gay marriage.

Again, this is coming from a fellow atheist...
Oh really?

I'd say that a significant portion of the Christians, and a very large portion of the politically active Christians in this country have views on homosexuals that are much closer to Fred Phelps then they'd like to think, or even like to admit. Oh, they don't want to kill them, but they think that they are deviant child molesters and that AIDS is God's divine punishment (Paging Mike Huckabee to the courtesy phone...)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, that's a lot different than saying God is killing American servicemen because of fags back home. Pretty much everyone except for Westboro Baptist thinks Westboro Baptist is insane...it's one tiny thing uniting the pro-America Christian right and biker gangs from across the country.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'd say that a significant portion of the Christians, and a very large portion of the politically active Christians in this country have views on homosexuals that are much closer to Fred Phelps then they'd like to think, or even like to admit. Oh, they don't want to kill them, but they think that they are deviant child molesters and that AIDS is God's divine punishment (Paging Mike Huckabee to the courtesy phone...)
we've only recently accepted that jews, catholics, women, and blacks are people too.

change is glacial. temperance, lad.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, that's a lot different than saying God is killing American servicemen because of fags back home. Pretty much everyone except for Westboro Baptist thinks Westboro Baptist is insane...it's one tiny thing uniting the pro-America Christian right and biker gangs from across the country.
How many times have you read about an evangelical leader blaming something that happens in this country (Katrina, a school shooting, dandruff, etc.) on the fact that we tolerate "aberrant" lifestyles?

It's the same comment, it's just in code. The contents of the thought are the same.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
How many times have you read about an evangelical leader blaming something that happens in this country (Katrina, a school shooting, dandruff, etc.) on the fact that we tolerate "aberrant" lifestyles?
not as many times as you see rebuilding efforts by the similar groups.

say, you think there'd be some anecdotal data correlating disaster assistance to group affiliation. you're a fact-based thinker; care to dig it up for us?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, Muslim extremists love to hand out social services, too...

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD

It's the same comment, it's just in code. The contents of the thought are the same.
I thought that according to media reports, every bad thing that happened in the last 8 years was Bush's fault...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Not specifically, but yeah, that's the point...you tend to think the guy handing you food is a decent dude. So you're a little less suspicious when he starts telling you about these 72 virgins that are so incredibly awesome that he's decided you should go see them. But he'll stick around handing out falafel...cuz he's just that good of a guy.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

I seem to remember Pat Robertson mentioning something like that after 9/11..... :lighten:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Oh really?

just found this little nugget you'd enjoy:
"He's not equating homosexuality with necrophilia. He's saying there's a range of aberrant behavior. He considers homosexuality aberrant, but that's at one end of the spectrum. Necrophilia is at the other end. . . . No way is he saying that homosexuality is like having sex with dead people. That's not it at all."--Huckabee aide Joe Carter, quoted by TalkingPointsMemo.com, Dec. 18
see? all better.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So it'd be OK if I had relations with a corpse...as long as it was a chick, right?