Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Quick question for the people who have had their Revolts for a while: How's the black ano finish holding up so far? Durable? What about the white powder coat? I'm diggin the white but love the durability of both ano frames I've had in the past (demo 8, Norco Team DH). Thanks for your help.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
Quick question for the people who have had their Revolts for a while: How's the black ano finish holding up so far? Durable? What about the white powder coat? I'm diggin the white but love the durability of both ano frames I've had in the past (demo 8, Norco Team DH). Thanks for your help.
I've had mine for about 8 weeks. The finish (black ano) is holding up quite well, as good as any other ano frame I've had. The color on the decals wears through pretty quickly where the downtube rubs on my tailgate pad doing shuttle runs, at least on the gold ones I'm using. Other than that, it looks pretty fresh still.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
My white one is holding up surprisingly well. Only a little shuttle gnar on the rear end from other bikes pedals and sticker wear on the down tube from tailgate pad.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
My white one is showing a bit of wear but I'm not surprised about it. I spent a week riding lifts in the rain and the frame is holding up better than the rest of the bike.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm leaning pretty hard toward the black ano. They're both dead sexy!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
A black ano frame with lots of gold components would be the hotness. The gun metal ones that I've seen look good too but that might be more of a limited edition factor that makes them so nice.

irilius

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Hi everyone,

for those of you who remember reading about a guy who was getting a revolt from his fiance, well thats me, but i have some bad news (and yes i'm still getting married). Turns out after a long wait, the bike has somehow gone missing after being sent out by the LBC. I'm sure there's a stolen bike thread somewhere here, but i figured you all would be helpful at the least. The bike shop (which i don't hold accountable) is in So. Cal (close to San Diego) and below is a brief spec should you see someone riding it - you'll know who it really belongs to. i'll be getting another one through the shop, pretty much the same, and should have it in time to ride up to the altar. Hope you guys are having fun on yours.

black med. revolt
white 2010 fox 40
white twenty6 F1 stem
white deity 30 bars
black ODI ruffians
all black mavic 823s w/ hadleys
black saints
white lg1 chainguide
black straitline pedals
black thomson post
black wtb silverado team seat
2.5 minion f's front/back

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi everyone,

for those of you who remember reading about a guy who was getting a revolt from his fiance, well thats me, but i have some bad news (and yes i'm still getting married). Turns out after a long wait, the bike has somehow gone missing after being sent out by the LBC. I'm sure there's a stolen bike thread somewhere here, but i figured you all would be helpful at the least. The bike shop (which i don't hold accountable) is in So. Cal (close to San Diego) and below is a brief spec should you see someone riding it - you'll know who it really belongs to. i'll be getting another one through the shop, pretty much the same, and should have it in time to ride up to the altar. Hope you guys are having fun on yours.

black med. revolt
white 2010 fox 40
white twenty6 F1 stem
white deity 30 bars
black ODI ruffians
all black mavic 823s w/ hadleys
black saints
white lg1 chainguide
black straitline pedals
black thomson post
black wtb silverado team seat
2.5 minion f's front/back

Wow that is SO lame. A bike shop should not lose a bike.

Congrats on joining the engaged club. =] I have been a member since December 23rd 2008. Getting married May 15th 2010.

irilius

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Thanks for the support. From what i'm told the LBS isn't waiting for the shipping issue to be resolved and has attempted to secure another frame from Evil. Regardless they seem intent on making things right as its been a long wait, and up to now, nothing.

Luckily i have my trusty bottlerocket to keep me riding. oh and i ran into some SC guys in Pacifica recently...very helpful.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
this thing has been going strong since early May ( it is the first production frame pictured way back in this thread).

I decided it needed to look a bit more patriotic before heading over to Schladming for world cup finals.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
The Elka guys are based out of Quebec/Bromont, and They build each shock specifically for individual frames/riders.

Being practically a Bromont local myself, Pat from Elka asked if I would test some shocks on the Revolt to see what worked/didn't work.

I have been on this one since the middle of July... it is very nice.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how does it feel compared to your Vivid that you had on there? im looking for more options to replace my RC4, which i do not like.
ive been talking with Craig @ Avy and might go that route.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
how does it feel compared to your Vivid that you had on there? im looking for more options to replace my RC4, which i do not like.
ive been talking with Craig @ Avy and might go that route.
great compression adjustment, that actually works (what i liked about the vivid)

on the Elka it is nice to have both high and low speed compression adjustment though. if you know what you are doing and know how you want your bike to behave it comes in really handy for fine tuning.

all shocks have their pros/cons.... favorite part of this one is that it is super sensitive on the smallest of hits but does not use up too much of it's travel and the progressive rebound is spot on. The cons would be that it could take a while to get set up correctly but Pat at Elka knows his stuff and they have a ton of guys testing and giving feedback so he is able to take the guess work out of the fine tuning.

I have no sponsorship type obligation with them and could run whatever I want... i have a fox, and a vivid for the Revolt both of which i have ridden extensively, and i had the vivid feeling super nice... but the Elka is staying put as it simply performs better for me.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
howd the bike feel after you switched from the Fox to the Vivid? the shock kinda has a blah feel to it...if that makes sense

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
howd the bike feel after you switched from the Fox to the Vivid? the shock kinda has a blah feel to it...if that makes sense
mine was one of the first bikes out so it came with the dhx... can't really comment on the rc4 as i have very little time on that, and no reson to switch from the current setup

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
mine was one of the first bikes out so it came with the dhx... can't really comment on the rc4 as i have very little time on that, and no reson to switch from the current setup
i thankfully was able to get the RC4 WC with mine over the DHX. im assuming both shocks would feel like poo. hi/low adjustments wont make the shock feel less "dead"
im looking for something plush and still have a lot of adjustability. ive always been keen to Avy, but that Elka is looking mighty nice and a cheaper option than the CCDB

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
i thankfully was able to get the RC4 WC with mine over the DHX. im assuming both shocks would feel like poo. hi/low adjustments wont make the shock feel less "dead"
im looking for something plush and still have a lot of adjustability. ive always been keen to Avy, but that Elka is looking mighty nice and a cheaper option than the CCDB
i tested the Elka, the RC4, and the DHX on the new DW DHR and i felt the RC4 was the best performing shock. I was VERY impressed with the elka, and i can't give it a full review as the initial tune they sent was too lightly damped....i will say i'm confident that after a second tune the elka could be on par or better than the RC4. Also i like the fact that it's SUPER light, and the adjustments are more simple than the fox....my only issue was the fact that there are too many detents....if i recall correctly it was 25 for rebound, 25 for high speed comp, and 50 for low speed comp. That's overkill; less detents would be easier to keep track of.....its a rad shock overall, but i'm kinda surprised you aren't happy with the RC4...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
i tested the Elka, the RC4, and the DHX on the new DW DHR and i felt the RC4 was the best performing shock. I was VERY impressed with the elka, and i can't give it a full review as the initial tune they sent was too lightly damped....i will say i'm confident that after a second tune the elka could be on par or better than the RC4. Also i like the fact that it's SUPER light, and the adjustments are more simple than the fox....my only issue was the fact that there are too many detents....if i recall correctly it was 25 for rebound, 25 for high speed comp, and 50 for low speed comp. That's overkill; less detents would be easier to keep track of.....its a rad shock overall, but i'm kinda surprised you aren't happy with the RC4...

hmmm... must have been an older model? I know they are constantly working to make running improvments. I know some of the internals in mine were a brand new design and i am not sure if they are being put in all the new shocks yet.

the detents for compression are in the single digits on mine, and are all within a usable range. rebound especially you can notice from one to the next.... regardless of detents, one can always just go by "turns" and make adjustments in 1/2 turn increments. i find that the best way to go about it especially considering some shocks/forks have such subtle detents or after time with dirt/wear they go away all together.

i think a big challenge these days for any shock manufacturer is getting the compression right. some people want it to feel like a plush couch while others prefer more race oriented settings.

lots of great shocks out there these days it is hard to go wrong. and lots of companies are willing to help riders get the right setup.

and i agree the rc4 is a good shock, and if you you understand suspension, how all the setting relate to each other and how they effect the ride on the trail it is not that hard to set up. i can see where it may be complicated for some.

Last edited:

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Damn, regardless of anything i raised earlier in this thread, reading it makes me consider doing terrible things for a revolt.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
the gold on black looks awesome. would love to see the team-style graphics on those colors!

Nicoco

Chimp
Aug 24, 2009
so does anyone know how to remove the rear flipchip?? not sure it'll change a lot but I would like to try...!

I tried again few days ago.... impossible!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I think at the point that you're at I'd try a little heat, not too much but enough to soften the paint and some gentle persuasion. If it's not hot enough to burn you then you shouldn't do any damage to the aluminum but it should be enough to cause some expansion in the metal and to soften the paint and any thread locker that's in there.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How's the Revolt holding up?

Everyone's happy with them, or whats the deal?

Is there a lot of maintenance on these frames?

I would love to hear some feedback..
im still loving mine.
theres not anymore maintenance on this bike compared to any other bike out there...preventative maintenance goes a long way.

the only problem ive been having is getting the rear flip chips out of the anno'd frame.
im also still trying to figure out the correct spring rate that i need.
400# is too light for me, and the 500# i have on there now only gives me around 17% sag. im 225lbs with all my gear on. i have yet to get a 450# spring, but im guessing thats the way to go

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
The tunnel around the shock is a bit tough to clean out but I don't get much in there anyways. I haven't tried to remove the swingarm to clean around the pivot yet and I'm a bit worried about what I'll find in there. Other than that the bike has been pretty typical maintenance. No dents for me either but only one day of shuttling, the rest have been lifts, and the truck seems to be where the worst damage comes from...

FWIW I switched to a 375# spring when I put a ti spring on and I'm about 190 + gear. I haven't measured the sag but I like the way it rides right now.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Carnaza! What's up old friend?

Most guys are running the 2010 Fox RC4 or the Vivid "A-Tune" so you may be one of the first to drop in a CCDB (although I COuLD be wrong on that... something that should be sorted with a Tech and Tuning Archive... :D )

Let me get in touch with dw and see what he knows.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
Carnaza! What's up old friend?

Most guys are running the 2010 Fox RC4 or the Vivid "A-Tune" so you may be one of the first to drop in a CCDB (although I COuLD be wrong on that... something that should be sorted with a Tech and Tuning Archive... :D )

Let me get in touch with dw and see what he knows.
I know there are a couple of guys running ccdb, hopefully they can share their settings...

I used the Rc4 for like a month and got the chance to get a ccdc for a good price, and since I always wanted to try one...

Anyway I'm loving the frame, I'd like to see a lighter version coming soon..

S.K.C. Thanks for your quick reply... As always !!

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Thanks for the info guys!

I need a Revolt :D

Anyone know if there will be any new colorways for next year?
I really like that yellow color on Steve's frame..

Last edited: