Quantcast

2016 Devinci Troy Write-Up

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I ordered my float x2 the other week and should be in sometime next month. I had someone take a picture and it looks like it should not be an issue on at least a medium frame.

-Brett

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Well, it seems that I will get an X2 too: I couldn't resist when I found one with 50% discount! :)

The bad part is that my lbs is on holiday so that I will not get the bike before a few weeks...

One question: did any if you get the RS build? If yes what is the inner width of the V2 comp DB rims that come with it?

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Well, it seems that I will get an X2 too: I couldn't resist when I found one with 50% discount! :)

The bad part is that my lbs is on holiday so that I will not get the bike before a few weeks...

One question: did any if you get the RS build? If yes what is the inner width of the V2 comp DB rims that come with it?
Damn, hard to pass up a discount like that! Post up once you get yours as well.

-Brett

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Just put a +1 degree headset on mine. High speed cornering and handling in steep chutes has gotten better, along with the usual climbing trade-offs.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I just received my X2 today! :)
But I don't know yet when I will get the bike since it will be a 2017...
IMG-20160809-WA0000.jpeg

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Not yet, the pedaling efficiency seems quite good on the Troy so that it should work without. Then I often forget to switch off this kind of device so that I prefer to do without...
Understood. I tend to only use it on longer climbs on the other shocks I have used. For those 'Enduro' type of days....

-Brett

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Got a 8-10 mile ride on the new X2 this evening. Rode great, will get a couple more rides on before giving ride details after fine tuning. The fit was perfect on the medium frame!

-Brett
Cool! Ride as much as you can and tell us what you think of it! :)

Did you try to mount it with the piggyback down? And does it fit? But maybe you prefer this way so that you can reach the climb switch easily.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I did not even try it with the piggy back at the bottom. I wanted the climb switch pretty accessible.

I can turn it upside down and see for your reference if it does or not though.

-Brett

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
That's very nice of you but I just checked that your bike is a 2014 and I will get one of the newer one... but thanks! :)

Manga

Chimp
Aug 25, 2016
Hi to everybody,

I'm happy with this bike, a 2016 Carbon RS black and white, size L, suites my trail attitude and exceeds my limits.

And It's nice, too.

My shame... I removed the 30T and put a 26T... for a slighty less 200 pound like me, and one-time-per-week rider... it helps...

One question: from your point of view, should be better to set SAG at 25% front and 30% rear as Dave Weagle (!!) suggests on devinci site?

Now I'm running on 30% - 30%.

thank in advance!

Luca - Italy

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I switch back and forth between ~30 and ~35% in the rear depending on where I'm riding. I set front sag more on feel to match the rear, but it's in the 15-20% realm.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Speaking of the Djanga I checked out a 29" version on Friday , Matt Slaven is working for Devinci now and was at a shop in Bellingham . He was showing the purchaser his own personal Djanga,s , he has a carbon 27.5 with a 150mm 36 up front , and the aluminum 29" with a 140mm 36 up front . I was really impressed with what i saw and it,s on my radar for next season . Be nice if they did a Troy version in 29"

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
The only reason I have for wanting to try a different trail bike next year is 29er curiosity. If they made a 29 version and kept the travel and suspension feel the same I'd be all over it.

I am very serious about the Django , just waiting for Interbike to get out of the way and the last of the latest and greatest gets bikes and frames get debut .

With Matt working with them know maybe there will be some more changes in the works , he mentioned the Spartan was getting some changes so who knows what is down the road .

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I finally got all the parts and manage to test ride the Troy.
I can just say it is as good as a new bike can be!:busted:
Ask me for an objective opinion when the grin on my face start to diminish :dance:
2016-11-26 13.11.29.jpg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Ok after 1000km of fun rides the bearings of the rear linkage are almost all shot: they are now filled with a brown slurry and don't turn smoothly any longer...
Is that only me or you got the same problem as well?
The bearing are enduro ones and were well filled with a red thick grease.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Ok after 1000km of fun rides the bearings of the rear linkage are almost all shot: they are now filled with a brown slurry and don't turn smoothly any longer...
Is that only me or you got the same problem as well?
The bearing are enduro ones and were well filled with a red thick grease.

Did you pressure wash them? Hate to break the cycle of praise for them, but Enduro bearings are pretty low to mid range quality in the whole scheme of things, they will not last as long as some of the better manufactures out there. I've used them in industrial application in a pinch, and it was almost comical how poorly they performed compared to the SKF's that I had to replace them with. Also the shortest lived hub bearings I've ever used. Do your self a favor, if you can find same size from a better mfg, get them and don't look back.

The troy is awesome. On my short list for next bike. Easily one of the best mid travel bikes around.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
6903-2RS is a common COTS size. find a better bearing mfg. Timken, skf, fag, etc. Don't buy the junk that people peddle, you'll thank me later.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Thank you @atrokz !
It is my first encounter with enduro bearings and our combined experience will make it the last one!

I never pressure wash my bikes. I do use a gardening hose once in a while tho. I am not a frequent bike cleaner, for me it is enough if the chain is oiled and the gliding surfaces are clean.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Did you pressure wash them? Hate to break the cycle of praise for them, but Enduro bearings are pretty low to mid range quality in the whole scheme of things, they will not last as long as some of the better manufactures out there. I've used them in industrial application in a pinch, and it was almost comical how poorly they performed compared to the SKF's that I had to replace them with. Also the shortest lived hub bearings I've ever used. Do your self a favor, if you can find same size from a better mfg, get them and don't look back.
I second that. Intense used Enduro bearings and they are shot fairly quick unless you disassemble and grease them regularly. I think the main issue is that they are sealed worse than others, allowing water and dirt to get inside even under normal riding/washing conditions. Switching to SKF bearings solved most problems I had. SKF makes those 2RSH which are better sealed than the 2RS and last me really long.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Sealing, tolerances, and quality of material as they don't follow any ISO or similar manufacturing standards iirc. There's a reason they are cheap, sometimes a kit costs as much as a couple quality bearings. It's expected really. For some applications it's fine, but considering the cost of these bikes and the effect pressing bearings has on the housing, it makes sense to just spend the extra and forger about it longer. Not surprising bike companies use them, it saves them a LOT of money.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think the manufacturer's argument is that the Enduro bearings contain more balls, distributing the load better resulting in less pitting of the races. While I can see the argument I am just too fed up with having to re-grease the bearings every 1/2 year with waterproof grease to make them stay alive. If you do this they hold up pretty good for me, showing that the sealing is the main issue here.