7. Industry Nine 29" Enduro Wheels
8. E13 TRSr front Tire
9. WTB Breakout Rear

33lbs

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
it's preposterous that my also unridable 2009 aluminum uzzi with a coil, dropper, 180mm front fork, and the only carbon being in the soon-to-explode bars weighs, the same. :doh:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
As much as I'd love to own one, I know the bike would be looking at me and wishing I was Luke Strobel. I can't compete

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Photo cunningly posted on an upslope with the seatpost down to hide the unridable angle it would be at when fully extended.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Photo cunningly posted on an upslope with the seatpost down to hide the unridable angle it would be at when fully extended.
Non issue I am 6' 1" barefoot and it doesn't bother me. My legs are average length I typically wear a 34 length pants. That back tire is 1100 grams so I could roll a Maxxis and be into the 32lbs range. But I don't care all that much figure it will make my old ass stronger....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hmm, nice, if they didn't come out with the RFX when they did, I might have considered it, except the weight is quite a bit more than I was expecting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Non issue I am 6' 1" barefoot and it doesn't bother me. My legs are average length I typically wear a 34 length pants. That back tire is 1100 grams so I could roll a Maxxis and be into the 32lbs range. But I don't care all that much figure it will make my old ass stronger....
wait, 6'1" and you have to ride an XL?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah I am in between so last two I went XL and ran 35mm stem. If I did LG I would have run a 50mm stem. So at bottom of the XL sizing and at top of LG. The MEGA was bigger....

I could have saved 1LBS on fork also.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Looks pretty sweet!

My 34lb wagon wheeler doesn't sound so bad when I see yours is 33.

I think my Mega is 33.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Its big and squishy. You can for sure tell it has more travel. Just rode it down one of the rockier trails in town. Riding hard and fast down it The Following would be using all travel and I would occasionally lose a pedal here and there. This seemed more composed I took some hack lines and was riding over foot high rocks accidently and it didn't phase it too much. It seems a bit stiffer in hard corners as well. I will give more input after some more saddle time....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
All the dudes I know riding this bike seem to think it's the next coming of Christ, I love what they did with it. Great build, no BS, tentatively RM Approved.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All the dudes I know riding this bike seem to think it's the next coming of Christ, I love what they did with it. Great build, no BS, tentatively RM Approved.
It's like the Specialized E29 without the Specialized.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Except it pedals decent and has agro GEO....
Nothing wrong with the E29 geo, it has a lot going for it. Specialized is a little steeper, but was originally based on a 150mm fox, so in practice they are a little slacker and f-ing wagon wheels roll over anything.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Nothing wrong with the E29 geo, it has a lot going for it. Specialized is a little steeper, but was originally based on a 150mm fox, so in practice they are a little slacker and f-ing wagon wheels roll over anything.
The WRECK has 1" longer reach, almost 1" lower BB and almost 1" longer WB. I have not ridden it at 65 degrees yet. I am good at 66. Plus the S-Works Enduro is $4500 for frame and shock that $1700 difference will build most of the Evil up.....And when standing and pedaling this doesn't move around like a waterbed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The WRECK has 1" longer reach, almost 1" lower BB and almost 1" longer WB. I have not ridden it at 65 degrees yet. I am good at 66. Plus the S-Works Enduro is $4500 for frame and shock that $1700 difference will build most of the Evil up.....And when standing and pedaling this doesn't move around like a waterbed.
Dude, the BB is only .4 of an inch lower. I would also question whether it's really lower, as the E29 was damn low and I would scrape the pedals all the time in banked turns. As I recall, the E29 with it's original 150mm fork was more like 13.4, and manufacturers tend to advertise the number with the most favorable tires (low profile), so whether Evil is really lower is hard to say without both bikes. It's also $3500 with shock not $4500, unless you are quoting me some canadia price or something. Reach is only 6mm different. 6mm is not an inch.

Some of your info seems wildly inaccurate? I didn't mention anything about pedaling in my previous post, so I'm not sure why you are bringing that up again. My point was that the E29 forged ahead with geometry that made aggressive 29ers possible and viable, with one of the main issues being removing the extra chainstay space that designers were just to lazy to remove (to allow 29ers with bigger wheels AND front derailleurs, they simply moved the wagon wheels back). The only thing the evil has brought geometry wise is a little slacker headtube. If you go on the specialized boards, you'll see there are actually a couple options for slacking out the E29, in terms of wishbone link and some other things that can bring it to the 66 degree area. E29s absolutely rip downhill, there's no discussion on that, they are very fun bikes. Evil is building on this and it's great to finally see some real competition in this area.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I never had the problem with my E29 pedals scraping in banked turns...why are you even dropping a foot in supported corners anyway?

Even with a 160mm fork, the head angle on the E29 was a bit steep. I just could not afford to have the seat angle be any more slack (like this bike) otherwise I would have tried the different link or bushings.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I never had the problem with my E29 pedals scraping in banked turns...why are you even dropping a foot in supported corners anyway?

Even with a 160mm fork, the head angle on the E29 was a bit steep. I just could not afford to have the seat angle be any more slack (like this bike) otherwise I would have tried the different link or bushings.
It's a 29er wheel, I could just bash down stuff at the DH park that people on roller-skate wheels would have to lean way back and manual down. Big drop coming up? No problem. Huge wheel-catching hole? Just blast on through. Plus, tire size and sag are probably big players here contributing to the overall feel. I just switched a coil on my RFX, but previously with the monarch+ I had to run around 35% sag to get it to feel decent, that required lower pressure in my fork so it wasn't obnoxiously slack and so it matched somewhat performance wise, but with the coil it doesn't sit down into the travel as much static and especially while riding and all of a sudden I feel like I'm riding an XC bike with 72 degree headtube, trying to launch me off of everything, so I had to go back and put a little more pressure back in the fork and reduce the sag. Course this is common knowledge, but lots of things can contribute, vs. the dick swinging contest of who has the slackest bike, lowest BB or shortest chainstays.

And yep, there's the cleavis linkage:.1 degree slacker
This one will probably do the same thing, if you again get the 27.5 version.

Then of course you could angle-set it or offset the top shock reducer, probably more along the lines of what you were thinking.

And yes, I like to put my outside foot down sometimes, because I like to party.

But anyways, the point was Ian's information was pretty wildly off and the E29 really has most everything going for it already, a little steep, but there are some ways to address it and otherwise, the Evil doesn't really do anything else geometry wise, it just brings a platform that can be pedaled uphill without feeling like you are towing a soggy wet mattress. I'll say it again, if this bike was available 6 months ago, I probably would have ordered it, because it addresses the one real issue I had with the Specialized (apart from shitty bearings), which was the piss poor pedaling.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@Jm - interesting to hear of the coil on the rfx-sounds like something an idiot like me would do. what's the eye2eye and stroke on it? (plz, plz, plz be 8.75 x 2.75...)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
@Jm - interesting to hear of the coil on the rfx-sounds like something an idiot like me would do. what's the eye2eye and stroke on it? (plz, plz, plz be 8.75 x 2.75...)
The coil is ok, I don't find it overwhelmingly better, but the terrain isn't too chunky either for me to push it. The chassis support with the monarch+ in the middle setting was better, and there's more movement with the coil, but a little more traction too. Having been on air shocks for a while, I can't say I'm a fan of all the extra movement, but I don't remember that with my chubbie, mainly seems to be under-damped fox products, like my CTD fork and old CTD shock. Now that I've put the avalanche cart in the Lyric, I've got a real stable front end, so even stuff like the RC4 is going to feel like less support, since you can't crank up the low speed compression and rebound and not have it pack up and ricochet all over the place. I *may* eventually send the RC4 off for a tune, but I'm expecting the monarch+ when I get it back to match up nicely and I'm not sold on a coil for most riding on this bike. I may throw the coil on there when I go to the park, but I may just be too blown away by the custom monarch to ever want to. The monarch+ isn't a bad shock in my experience, nothing crazy good, but decent.

Last edited: