Quantcast

2018 predictions thread

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Same reason why people ride hardtails or single speeds. It is wicked fun.
I blame IMBA and all the 29er XC guys for the increasing numbers of cross/gravel bikes. Sanitizing all trails so that you can ride your wagon wheels on them also makes them suitable for plus sized road bikes. ;)
Yep, a good sign that you've gone too far with your "trails for everyone" mantra is when there's guys on CX bikes and kids on skateboards riding them.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Wow... the dark side is strong with you guys...and here I thought I was an angry, disgruntled individual.

Predictions for 2018?? Coil suspension forks - more of them. Like others said, Fox will take one of their forks and drop in a coil. Everyone will gizz all over eachother. Meanwhile it will have been an old fork with updated stickers.

KenW449, your comment "I think they should make software that analyzes video of you riding and tells you how isht your are." actually had me laughing out loud.

I don't plan on buying anything in 2018 other than maintenance parts/suspension service.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
They already have this covered. What they have done is make shittier parts and components. People get used to crap, then when they 'fix' it it's a whole new world!

See fox:
Amazing float forks back in 2008. Adjustable. Tons of feel, LSC and HSC dials. etc. Along comes CTD to ruin dampening by a LOT. The new CTD forks suck and people still buy and ride them. My 2013 CTD float felt like riding a fork full of broken glass and last nights tacos compared to the velvet feeling of my 2008 36 float. So fox slowly adjusts the CTD to be slightly better each year, never coming close to what the 2008 forks felt and performed like. They increased the amount of seals in a float fork, making it less supple and shittier feeling. Also see coil suspension. Got worse and worse.

So now, it gives them a ton of room to basically go back to where they were before. If Fox made a 2008 float fork for a 27.5/29 wheelsize, and billed it as 'all new', reviewers would shit their pants at the awesomeness of this all new fork and herald it as the new standard.

So all in all, there's tons of room to improve. They've made shit for so long and made stuff shittier for so long now, going backwards would actually be an improvement in many cases.

Only half joking....
Call me crazy, but my 2017 Float 36 HSC/LSC is light years better than any fork I had back in 2008. I think your nostalgia is getting the better of you.

Attachments

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There was me thinking "ishty" was some new mtb term along the lines of steeze.

eg.

"Wow! Did you see that cunt Brandon scrub that hip? ishty as fuck!"

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Call me crazy, but my 2017 Float 36 HSC/LSC is light years better than any fork I had back in 2008. I think your nostalgia is getting the better of you.
Yepp, Most forks/shocks when compared aren't that good. I remembered my Shiver to be fantastic and when I tried one last year again it didn't really impress me that much. Same thing with the Z1 and a few others I have tried over the years. My Old Z2 Superfly from 98 is a different story. Still the best xc fork I owned (still do in perfect condition) 63mm of the smoothest suspension you ever ridden.:headbang:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Why couldnt we before?
because people are sensitive? Because the internet was different place back in 1997?

Back to the point, I think we're in the renaissance of bad ideas. You can sketch whatever you want on a napkin and then turn it into a bike now, and people are super excited about it. I just read about the insolent DH on pinkbike...here's a bike that takes the replaceable, easily adjustable, swappable if you don't like it damper unit out of a frame, and replaces it with a stressed, unique, low ratio damper with virtually impossible to replace coils or and integral air spring. It's not like this hasn't been done before (curnutt). It sucked then, it will suck now, even if you make it kashima. Don't get me started on the polygon. Stiction is not our friend, people!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Predictions for 2018? The ebike scene will absorb all the hate and morph into Stay Puft, the marshmallow man, cumzooming everything in his path...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
52C7EDD5-E68D-44FE-82BF-0132B9F5B9B5.jpeg
luv dat
my uzzi says hello from the future, where it still destroys 95% of everything around it, although it has a float from 2015-ish

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sam-pilgrim-signs-with-haibike.html

Since bike companies are corporations and owned by shareholders, they must exhibit "growth".

Bike companies are finding it difficult to exhibit growth in a stale market.

Bike companies have to come up with new stuff to sell to the same people, since they can't seem to attract customers with actual improved product

Bike companies see growth in e-bikes. Not selling new stuff to the same riders, selling new stuff to new riders.

E-bikes will outsell "bio bikes" (heard this stupid term at Eurobike, made me throw up a little in my mouth) by a large margin

Corporate bike companies will abandon bio bikes. Some bike companies will go out of business.

Aluminum frames will come back. More

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
E-bikes will outsell "bio bikes" (heard this stupid term at Eurobike, made me throw up a little in my mouth) by a large margin

Corporate bike companies will abandon bio bikes. Some bike companies will go out of business.

Aluminum frames will come back. More
I'm not an industry iguana, but that sounds pretty far fetched imo. Are saying e-bikes sales will greatly exceed struggle buggy sales in terms of percent growth from the previous year or that they will actually straight up out sell them? If it's the former, then meh, that won't be too surprising. I'd also be surprised if any of the big guys drop struggle buggies altogether, although it won't matter to me since I won't be buying anything from them anyway. And while I'd personally like to see more high quality alloy frames built, it seems like more and more manus are offering plastique and dropping alloy frames altogether.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sam-pilgrim-signs-with-haibike.html

Since bike companies are corporations and owned by shareholders, they must exhibit "growth".
Although that's part of it, it's more elemental than that. In capitalism, someone will always come along that can do what you do, but do it better, faster, more efficiently, and so on. Unless you truly exist in a niche, which is much more rare than those that think they are in a niche are aware of, you have to innovate, get into new markets, invent new markets, invent new processes, and so on, to keep yourself in business. The corporate way is a great way to absolve of responsibility and put the shareholder's interests above the employees and service being provided, but just business in general can be cut-throat and the companies that sit on their laurels doing the same exact thing that they've always done simply have it coming when they get killed off. Look at Niner. when they started, they were doing something different. Everyone thought "ew, niner bikes, no one will ever buy those, it's such a limited market", so they made it their niche, which worked for a while, until every major manufacturer had a full line of "niner" bikes, well in excess of what Niner was making. So then what does Niner have left? Nothing, they have nowhere to go.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Michelin will continue not to release a 2.5" Wild Rock'r2 downhill tire.........
i dig this tire as much as anyone but let's be real here. never going to happen. DH is out, E words are in. companies make what they can sell a bunch of. throw a maxxis DH tube in this tire and viola - 1500g WR2 DH version. the width is fine for the everyman.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm not an industry iguana, but that sounds pretty far fetched imo. Are saying e-bikes sales will greatly exceed struggle buggy sales in terms of percent growth from the previous year or that they will actually straight up out sell them? If it's the former, then meh, that won't be too surprising. I'd also be surprised if any of the big guys drop struggle buggies altogether, although it won't matter to me since I won't be buying anything from them anyway. And while I'd personally like to see more high quality alloy frames built, it seems like more and more manus are offering plastique and dropping alloy frames altogether.
It seems to go that way for at least the volume brands in Europe. The bike mags write that the sale of high-end bikes is seriously impacted by eMTBs and most of the industries' R+D money goes towards the latter. So I guess the market up to the starting price of eMTBs will be the same, but above that they will just give their models new colors for the next years and focus on eMTBs.

That said, there are also rumors that some new serious aluminum frame production capacity is build up in Europe to be able to produce closer to the market and react quicker to changing trends. I guess the long lead times in Asia are the main reason for that?

Another trend, mainly on the road side, seems to be that carbon frame production in Europe is up. Maybe companies are finally sick of seeing their newest bike 3 months later as 1/2 priced copy from abroad.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Plus bikes are gonna be dead in 3 years.
I believe they will be prevalent on eBikes in 3 years.

(Note: I am not contradicting you and I do realize that your statement is still valid since Prevalent on eBikes = Dead to jonKranked.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I believe they will be prevalent on eBikes in 3 years.

(Note: I am not contradicting you and I do realize that your statement is still valid since Prevalent on eBikes = Dead to jonKranked.)
I should clarify that my comment was intended to address Serious Mountain Biking ™. We all already know that e-bikes and their ilk = kill list.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Another trend, mainly on the road side, seems to be that carbon frame production in Europe is up. Maybe companies are finally sick of seeing their newest bike 3 months later as 1/2 priced copy from abroad.

IP laws in ASPAC are, in general, a joke. Counterfeiting isn't an issue limited to the bike industry.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot

Naw, I had that fork till 2014 and only recently sold it. It was a protune job and was pretty stellar. I have a 2016 36 Float now as well, it's ok. A bit harsh off the top but all in all it's a good fork.

And yes Kidwoo. Deal. With. It.

2018: people still take forums too seriously.