Quantcast

-21°C Thursday GMT-6°F

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Disclaimer #1: I don't know Sandwich's age
Disclaimer #2: I suck and mathmatology

$35k today, returning 7-10% annually over 20 years = $126k - $214k. That between $25k and 42k /yr. over 5 years.
I think that might AID in retiring early based on expenses.
(obviously returns could be much less or more)
See? FUCKING RETIRE EARLY, PEOPLE! :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
In all seriousness, please share your math underlying this. This is relevant to my interests. :D
I based my math on this page: https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-cost-of-gas-vs-electricity.html If his estimates of the Tesla's "mileage" are wrong, then my math will be bad.

23000mi/3(mi/kwh)=7666.7kwh
7666.7kwh*0.22$/kwh=1687$

23000mi/25mpg=920
920*2.55$/g=2346

2346-1687=659

75000 model s 75kw-alfa giulia 40,400= 34600

and the alfa gets 27mpg combined but probably requires premium.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
tired cuz i was boning all nite.
I guess my bougie grilled cheeses (truffle butter FTW!) and portugese potato kale & chorizo soup was a hit. :cool:
going to see Star Wars tonight.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I based my math on this page: https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-cost-of-gas-vs-electricity.html If his estimates of the Tesla's "mileage" are wrong, then my math will be bad.

23000mi/3(mi/kwh)=7666.7kwh
7666.7kwh*0.22$/kwh=1687$

23000mi/25mpg=920
920*2.55$/g=2346

2346-1687=659

75000 model s 75kw-alfa giulia 40,400= 34600

and the alfa gets 27mpg combined but probably requires premium.
Fair enough. If you really believe you can get 27 mpg combined in the Alfa, that premium will remain $2.55, and that you actually pay 22 cents/kWh then that makes sense.

I'd argue that a fair comparison would instead be to something of equal size, at least a 5 Series/E Class. Those are going to get around 20 mpg combined realistically.

Also note that electricity may well be expensive in your neck of the woods but can be cheap through moving elsewhere :D or solar. I pay 9.9 cents/kWh after the first 500 kWh hour per each summer month, and 5.5 cents/kWh all winter from kWh #1 per month...

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I think my worst was being on the edge of slime time and having a gigantic fart doing all it can to breach the gates. Despite my best efforts to the contrary, voluntary control of my lowers was relinquished in a magnificent display of alternating toots and shoots.
Everything about this is hilarious!

"Toots & Shoots" Definitely NOT a board game you wanna play.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Disclaimer #1: I don't know Sandwich's age
Disclaimer #2: I suck and mathmatology

$35k today, returning 7-10% annually over 20 years = $126k - $214k. That between $25k and 42k /yr. over 5 years.
I think that might AID in retiring early based on expenses.
(obviously returns could be much less or more)
Ok, fair enough. I use 5% in my projections, so 20 years @ 5% is $93k. If one's expenses were under $93k/5 years and one was furthermore set after that 5 years were up... but then again, if you were really that frugal then why weren't you retired already? :D

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Good morning!

Didn't snag a jerb today, but that works out. The open enrollment deadline is tomorrow, so that gave me the morning to sort it out, then the rest of the day to finish up some shopping and maybe even get out on my faithful steed if time allows!

I feel like someone might’ve pissed in my cornflakes... :stosh: :think:
I told my 11 year old the "seems like someone peed in her suit today..." thing the other day and he gave me a look that said "...brilliant..." I'm sure he's used that a couple times with his friends by now ;)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Night ride last night, twas good and fun and great temps. Night riding tonight will be much colder, and with a bit of snow on the ground. And I forgot a trail beer... and a trail flask... and a trail thermos.

:shakefist:

#professionalamateurhour

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Night ride last night, twas good and fun and great temps. Night riding tonight will be much colder, and with a bit of snow on the ground. And I forgot a trail beer... and a trail flask... and a trail thermos.

#professionalamateurhour
too bad it was cloudy. you coulda been ridin with the meteors

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

#professionalamateurhour
i tossed my jetboil in my car and made hot chocolate after yesterdays ride.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Fair enough. If you really believe you can get 27 mpg combined in the Alfa, that premium will remain $2.55, and that you actually pay 22 cents/kWh then that makes sense.

I'd argue that a fair comparison would instead be to something of equal size, at least a 5 Series/E Class. Those are going to get around 20 mpg combined realistically.

Also note that electricity may well be expensive in your neck of the woods but can be cheap through moving elsewhere :D or solar. I pay 9.9 cents/kWh after the first 500 kWh hour per each summer month, and 5.5 cents/kWh all winter from kWh #1 per month...
The alfa is more of a joke. Of course it's not really a comparable car to the tesla....but it would take a lot of convincing for somebody to tell me that the model S is comparable to a 5 series on the inside. woodie has a model S, and it's plasticy and bare on the inside, with terrible leather and mediocre construction. He doesn't mind such things, but for me, if I'm spending beaucoup bucks on an auto, I demand to feel like an entire cow was sacrificed just so I have a nice place to sit.

I think we can be confident that the price of electricity will only go up. If I can score solar panels, then of course all this math becomes moot, but that's an additional $20 I need to drop in order to have the privilege of driving a car that only goes 150mi before stopping (i'm not buying a model S).

The point I was trying to make is that if you're looking to save money, a good hybrid is better than a model S, and that if you're looking to save the planet, I'd be hard pressed into thinking that the model S was the best option. ICEs are really pretty efficient these days, and the model S remains a toy for the rich. With cars like the leaf and volt, we start talking a little less nonsense, but I think it'll be a while before even my uber-waspy family can be ICE free.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok, fair enough. I use 5% in my projections, so 20 years @ 5% is $93k. If one's expenses were under $93k/5 years and one was furthermore set after that 5 years were up... but then again, if you were really that frugal then why weren't you retired already? :D
This.

You have to look at inflation in the growth value of your investment. 7% RoR is actually 5% in today's dollar's if you are factoring a 2% inflation rate (simple math). Also assume your risk levels should drop as you get older and your RoR will drop accordingly.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The alfa is more of a joke. Of course it's not really a comparable car to the tesla....but it would take a lot of convincing for somebody to tell me that the model S is comparable to a 5 series on the inside. woodie has a model S, and it's plasticy and bare on the inside, with terrible leather and mediocre construction. He doesn't mind such things, but for me, if I'm spending beaucoup bucks on an auto, I demand to feel like an entire cow was sacrificed just so I have a nice place to sit.

I think we can be confident that the price of electricity will only go up. If I can score solar panels, then of course all this math becomes moot, but that's an additional $20 I need to drop in order to have the privilege of driving a car that only goes 150mi before stopping (i'm not buying a model S).

The point I was trying to make is that if you're looking to save money, a good hybrid is better than a model S, and that if you're looking to save the planet, I'd be hard pressed into thinking that the model S was the best option. ICEs are really pretty efficient these days, and the model S remains a toy for the rich. With cars like the leaf and volt, we start talking a little less nonsense, but I think it'll be a while before even my uber-waspy family can be ICE free.
But good god man, have you felt the acceleration in one of those?! Exhilarating!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Also, I have a friend with the Bolt. I have very much envy. I don't care too much about how the inside feels, other than does it heat and cool quickly when it's cold/hot out. That you can preheat the Bolt while it's plugged into the house is very attractive to me. And that you don't have to wait for the engine to warm up when you get in the car after a ride/ski/the pub for the heat to come on is awesome. Plus guilt free errands!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
But good god man, have you felt the acceleration in one of those?! Exhilarating!
yes they zoom zoom muy bueno. dave's is "just" the 65kw RWD version, which does 0-60 in "only" 6.2. the torque comes on instantaneously, and of course there's no lag, which is cool as heck.

the really neat thing about hybrids (i have two) is how the electrics can compliment the gas engine. My rav 4 squirts off the line with instant torque, but starts to wheeze out at higher RPMs. The prius just sucks. That's why I really like the infiniti; it seems like they leverage both motors. Until the electric car really starts to become a reality (ie a less ugly bolt or an obtanium model 3) hybrids are fantastic options.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
yes they zoom zoom muy bueno. dave's is "just" the 65kw RWD version, which does 0-60 in "only" 6.2. the torque comes on instantaneously, and of course there's no lag, which is cool as heck.

the really neat thing about hybrids (i have two) is how the electrics can compliment the gas engine. My rav 4 squirts off the line with instant torque, but starts to wheeze out at higher RPMs. The prius just sucks. That's why I really like the infiniti; it seems like they leverage both motors. Until the electric car really starts to become a reality (ie a less ugly bolt or an obtanium model 3) hybrids are fantastic options.
Another friend of mine has the Vulvo XC 90 plug-in hybrid. that would probably assuage my guilt too, but it's in Model S territory when it comes to cost.

I agree, hybrids are a good option, especially plug-ins. But there aren't that many on the market (at least in Canaderp), and they don't quite capture my imagination the same way a full electric does...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
$100+ to make hot chocolate? Great investment. If you wont use it for anything else, i highly suggest a cheaper stove and pot.
Though if you do get a Jetboil, which are fantastic, get the minimo as its compact and has simmer control. You can always get a bigger pot.
they can be found for under $50.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
True, just gotta be a savvy shopper. REI Sales are always a great place to start and the 24th is coming up
the zip can be found for this price pretty consistently (this is what i have). its a more barebones version, doesn't have a built in ignition but it does have an adjustable burner.

if i was going to pony up full/high price for this style of stove i'd probably go for the MSR version.