Quantcast

24 inches of love

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Shorter spokes, less rotational weight?
saving an inch of every spoke? i can see how that would make sense, but stlll...i used to ahve problems wth my radial front wheel when i rode xc... for street/dj i'd ruin it, and think i lke it when both wheels look the same anyways.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
what's the best video out right now for 24"mtb skatepark and street riding?
doesn't really exist right now but atom labs 'tough as hell' was good. tonic was reppin in that dvd.
also eastern front's 'the big deal' has some good 24 footage from the uk trails to anson wellington's part.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the only thing that makes that SIMTRA an mtb instead of a bmx cruiser is the lack of crossbar on your bars ...

well... and the tall forks, and 71 degree head angle. does it feel a lot different than a typical bmx cruiser?

old school bmx's definitely had more slack head angles. people used to say they were more stable in the air. hard to say why almost every bmx frame has a 74.5 now. that used to be considered strictly flatland geometry.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
nick soloninkackaskagisdgjdfigj duno how to spell it rolled 2-4s till he went on eastern, now hes better, and on 26s.

my ole fall guy is geettin some major renewage.

few words as a sample

pivotal, dual air, ti, micro drive, slammed, pimped, light, dialed

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
the only thing that makes that SIMTRA an mtb instead of a bmx cruiser is the lack of crossbar on your bars ...

well... and the tall forks, and 71 degree head angle. does it feel a lot different than a typical bmx cruiser?

old school bmx's definitely had more slack head angles. people used to say they were more stable in the air. hard to say why almost every bmx frame has a 74.5 now. that used to be considered strictly flatland geometry.
It pretty much is a big BMX. I love riding a 20" but I ride mainly Flatland and wanted something to ride around town on. I have owned a couple of BMX cruisers but was never completely happy with the ride. The Simtra has been very nice so far. The steering is mellow but responsive. I am very happy with it. I just have to get out on it more.

J

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I agree, solid looking bike, and I love the color. I've always wanted something like the General Lee, but never really cared too much for the look. This one I can really dig.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
OK... so what makes the line between a mtb 24" and a BMX 24/cruiser?? Geo designed around a suspension fork?
I HATE the front wheel bobble when you land flat on a rigid fork, so I want a suspension fork, if even just 45mm of travel. The weight sucks, but a burly cromo isn't THAT much of a difference there. I want to go 24", mostly because I'll get lynched here if I put pegs on my 26. I've already "been warned..." Bastids...
And hell, you can pick up a COMPLETE cruiser for almost the same price as a 24" mtb FRAME...

Couldn't you find a cruiser with an ultra steep HA, swap in a sussy fork and low rise bars and end up in a decent cockpit?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
OK... so what makes the line between a mtb 24" and a BMX 24/cruiser?? Geo designed around a suspension fork?
Yes.

mostly because I'll get lynched here if I put pegs on my 26. I've already "been warned..."
Quit being a pansy and do whatever you want. If you can ride, you'll get respect no matter what you ride.

Couldn't you find a cruiser with an ultra steep HA, swap in a sussy fork and low rise bars and end up in a decent cockpit?
Maybe. But, you also have to think about BB height. And good luck finding a cruiser with a super steep HA.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
I finaly gave in, I love this bike with all my heart

I hope these pictures do some justice but as you all know they do none

Yea there big

Attachments

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I think 20/24/26 is plenty of choices! As for frames, I'd like to see more disc options, if only for hacks like me. Can anyone honestly think that 22" would give an advantage over 20 or 24? If so, clue me in, cuz I'm still trying to decide between 24 and 26!
And it's funny: I'm a 26 believer... but why? Without considering my own feelings on this, here is what runs through my mind, and it embarrasses me a little, but only a little: 20" bikes are the mainstay. They are admittedly the ultimate weapon for the streets hands down. Parks and dirt are where they get questionable against the 26" riders. 26" street bikes are relatively new and are, in all shape and form, a throw back to the 20" bikes. It all comes down to one question(for street riding): Why ride 26" on the street? Because you can be half as good as the AVERAGE 20" street rider and be a 26" pro. Sad but true or did I get misled in my own brain? It does happen on occasion... I would really like to talk to a 20" to 26" convert and ask him why he switched. Hell, most of you have done that... WHY? I also see that some of you are going back to 20". VERY competitive feild, with a LOT of pressure. Hell, it seems like you can't even own a 20" bike and lack skills. If you can't do a T-whip around here you're a poser, despite the fact that those throwing the stones are posers...
Whoops, I ranted. Just trying to figure this all out...
What I HAVE learned, thanks to you guys, and didn't realize before, is that basically, a 24" bike is the enrty level to a suspesion fork. That's bascially about it? Possibly the ability to overcome a little harsher terrain in the process?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
will be a bmx that is not that cramped
Isn't that kinda the point of 24"? I think with enough creativity(and a bent seatpost tube!) a 24" bike can get damn near the same chainstay length as a 20", and still roll better through the rough, plus the addition of a sussy fork, if desired. Man, it is REALLY starting to sound like I want a 24" !

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I think 20/24/26 is plenty of choices! As for frames, I'd like to see more disc options, if only for hacks like me. Can anyone honestly think that 22" would give an advantage over 20 or 24? If so, clue me in, cuz I'm still trying to decide between 24 and 26!
And it's funny: I'm a 26 believer... but why? Without considering my own feelings on this, here is what runs through my mind, and it embarrasses me a little, but only a little: 20" bikes are the mainstay. They are admittedly the ultimate weapon for the streets hands down. Parks and dirt are where they get questionable against the 26" riders. 26" street bikes are relatively new and are, in all shape and form, a throw back to the 20" bikes. It all comes down to one question(for street riding): Why ride 26" on the street? Because you can be half as good as the AVERAGE 20" street rider and be a 26" pro. Sad but true or did I get misled in my own brain? It does happen on occasion... I would really like to talk to a 20" to 26" convert and ask him why he switched. Hell, most of you have done that... WHY? I also see that some of you are going back to 20". VERY competitive feild, with a LOT of pressure. Hell, it seems like you can't even own a 20" bike and lack skills. If you can't do a T-whip around here you're a poser, despite the fact that those throwing the stones are posers...
Whoops, I ranted. Just trying to figure this all out...
What I HAVE learned, thanks to you guys, and didn't realize before, is that basically, a 24" bike is the enrty level to a suspesion fork. That's bascially about it? Possibly the ability to overcome a little harsher terrain in the process?
well, i just got back on a 20" after riding both 24's and 26's and it is great in some ways but not so great in other ways. if you want to do a lot of little tech stuff then 20's are great, but when you want to hit something big i prefer my 26". obviously, a bigger bike is more stable. sometimes 20" bikes are just too dam small for me. so, i ride both and enjoy both for different things. in most cases i would say there is no reason to ride a 26" bike for street, but now that certain companies are coming out with bikes with super short rear ends, it can make a bit more since. i can actually do most things on my 26" bike that i can do on my 20" at this point, except the really tech stuff and doing 180's over things. but, get me on a different frame and i probably could right away. it mostly has to do with the length of the stays, not the wheel size as much for me atleast.

now onto the 24" topic, 24's really are right in between and work really well for street. they are stronger then 26's but more stable then 20's. i love them the most out of the 2 honestly, only problem is that it's so expensive to build up a 24" specific bike.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm thinking it would prob make all the difference if you learned everything on a 20 and THEN went to 26s. I only rode flatland back in the late 80s/early 90s, took 15 years off then jumped on a 26. it's quickly obvious that I'm learning on the wrong tool. It's a lot like trying to run in too big of a shoe. But 20" is just out of the question. I'm just going to have a little more fun waiting for my Riot to die(could be awhile) and then it's a Tonic FG for me. In the meantime, I'm thinking we'll see a few more options in the 24" world start popping up.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Good job derailling a 70 page thread...

Riding bikes is about having fun... 99% of us aren't good enough to be pro and 99.9% of us couldn't outride Mike Aitken or Scotty Cranmer if they were on a beach cruiser and we were on the bike of our choice.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Speaking of 24"... I wish there were more companies that made "freestyle" cruisers. Most of the cruisers that are out there are racing oriented. There's the WTP Unified, but it's only sold as a complete. Anybody know of other "freestyle" cruisers on the market? Lee, have you guys ever thought about doing a cruiser?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I think Stolen makes one with close-to-bmx geo, and the one I always hear about is the DK General Lee 24...
Check out my new thread about "overseas, small, and obscure bike Cos" My main focus of it is 24" bikes.

Also, what about the DMR Drone? I don't know ANYTHING about it, no specs on the site that I could find...