Quantcast

24 inches of love

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
And is it a BMX 24 or a MTB 24...? And what in the hell is the dang damn difference??
nothing really now-a-days. Rear hub, but you can get pretty much whatever you want in either size. Maybe a degree or so in the front end. And BB if it'd only avalible in euro. Antying else?

unless you're talking racing.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Speaking of 24"... I wish there were more companies that made "freestyle" cruisers. Most of the cruisers that are out there are racing oriented. There's the WTP Unified, but it's only sold as a complete. Anybody know of other "freestyle" cruisers on the market? Lee, have you guys ever thought about doing a cruiser?
I've been looking for a proper freestyle cruiser since '96 or so when I pulled my '84 Profile cruiser out of the back room and started riding trails and park. That Profile did well but I was worried about riding such an old frame. Next was a Boss Hogg, then Brooklyn, and a first generation S&M RV24 (which was pretty burly) that I kept for a while.

A couple years ago it was a Porter, another S&M RV and now the USB. I know the USB's chainstay was close to an inch shorter than the Porter and S&M. Not to mention the BB on the USB is at a sweeter spot.

A cruiser w/ Molly Maguire geometry, an S&M 24" Pitchfork and 1st generation S&M Gay Bars (5.5" rise, burly and nice backsweep) would be insane.

I think the Molly Maguire is a fine bike as it can use a short sussy fork which does help. But seeing rigs set up w/ a long rigid fork doens't make sense as you are loosing a few inches in bar height and top tube clearance. Moves like turndowns and cancan's are a bit easier on a cruiser vs. a low slung front sussy rig. Plus peg setup would be a non-issue.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
nothing really now-a-days. Rear hub, but you can get pretty much whatever you want in either size. Maybe a degree or so in the front end. And BB if it'd only avalible in euro. Antying else?

unless you're talking racing.
The main difference is that the geo on a mtb is setup around a suspension fork and on a "cruiser" it's setup around a regular height rigid fork. That and the back end hub spacing. Or, am I reading the question wrong?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
A cruiser w/ Molly Maguire geometry, an S&M 24" Pitchfork and 1st generation S&M Gay Bars (5.5" rise, burly and nice backsweep) would be insane.
EXACTLY.

I've been looking for a proper freestyle cruiser since '96 or so when I pulled my '84 Profile cruiser out of the back room and started riding trails and park. That Profile did well but I was worried about riding such an old frame. Next was a Boss Hogg, then Brooklyn, and a first generation S&M RV24 (which was pretty burly) that I kept for a while.

A couple years ago it was a Porter, another S&M RV and now the USB. I know the USB's chainstay was close to an inch shorter than the Porter and S&M. Not to mention the BB on the USB is at a sweeter spot.

I think the Molly Maguire is a fine bike as it can use a short sussy fork which does help. But seeing rigs set up w/ a long rigid fork doens't make sense as you are loosing a few inches in bar height and top tube clearance. Moves like turndowns and cancan's are a bit easier on a cruiser vs. a low slung front sussy rig. Plus peg setup would be a non-issue.
That's good info, Don. Sounds like you want the same thing I do. Do S&M, Brooklyn, and Porter still make cruiser frames? Yeah, some of the "mtb" 24s are nice, but I don't think I need the give or weight of a suspension fork. I saw Robbie Morales at the Stephen Murray Jam the other day and I was so close to asking him if he'd ever consider making a Fit cruiser frame. That'd be rad.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
trying to be unbiased but why not go with a 20 with a long tt, big bars and dirt tires (sandm black bike, fit van, etc). parts and tires are widely available and it'd prolly be cheaper...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
EXACTLY.

That's good info, Don. Sounds like you want the same thing I do. Do S&M, Brooklyn, and Porter still make cruiser frames? Yeah, some of the "mtb" 24s are nice, but I don't think I need the give or weight of a suspension fork. I saw Robbie Morales at the Stephen Murray Jam the other day and I was so close to asking him if he'd ever consider making a Fit cruiser frame. That'd be rad.
Besides easier can's and t-downs (and possibly other tricks), a cruiser would be easier for footjam tricks.

A Fit cruiser would indeed be nice.

Edit: forgot to answer your questions: I'm pretty sure S&M and Porter still make frames. I see Brooklyn cruiser pop up used every once in a while on ebay or online classifieds.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
So do you think an s&m 24 cruiser fork would be good with the Molly? It'd make it pretty steep but I think I'd like that. I don't really trust the Identiti Rebate I have cuz it's long and raked out. I'm afraid I'd bend the steerer tube on a gnar fall. Prolly just paranoid but I like the idea of the s&m fork.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, you really could, but it's my understanding you've got an old injury?
Are you talking about me? I'm good. No old injuries.

20s just seem so small to me now. It's really not the length, but the wheel size that seems so small. I bet if more bmxers were honest with themselves, they'd feel the same way. 20s are great for technical street/dirt/park, but as obstacles (and riders) get bigger, bigger wheels just seem to be better for the job. For example, I could see pro vert riders preferring 24s over 20s, but it's probably just never really been tried.

Actually, my Simple is great for most places I ride. There are just a few spots with tighter more technical DJs where I would rather have smaller wheels and no suspension.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
That damn suspension fork is another thorn in my side. I wish I had a 26" rigid fork I could try out just to see if I even NEED a little give. I know I've come down off the sides of ramps/pallet ghetto quarters a few times and heard the "clack" saying I've used the 70mm of travel, and I REALLY don't like the way it looks when a BMX bounces on flatter landings, but I just wonder if I wouldn't be able to overcome it? But I already have a pretty decent wrist injury that costs me an hour of soaking and stretching after every single ride... I'm assuming that would get worse. Could always drop a little psi out of the front, too, maybe?
I place it in Atomlabs lap right now. I'd REALLY like to see a 1"-2" travel, light cromo fork... just something to give a little.

jjchgo

Chimp
Apr 11, 2006
Besides easier can's and t-downs (and possibly other tricks), a cruiser would be easier for footjam tricks.

A Fit cruiser would indeed be nice.

Edit: forgot to answer your questions: I'm pretty sure S&M and Porter still make frames. I see Brooklyn cruiser pop up used every once in a while on ebay or online classifieds.
unfortunately porter does not still make frames.

cheers,

jj

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Don: Really nice bike history. Wow.

Cru: A well set-up Molly or Fall Guy might bridge this gap in function and feel that you are looking for. This isn't a sales pitch..I don't have anything to sell anyway.
Just based on what you've written here, and the way you have your Simple set-up, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with either bike. The riding experience is different than a 26" bike. I'm only suggesting it because it might be chance to own a single bike you are happy with on your regular trails that also functions well on the tighter stuff you want a cruiser for.

Anyway, if I was in the market for a cruiser, I'd have to give these guys a call: Kappa. Super cool looking bikes (I think) and their cruiser actually has a pretty short rear-end. Maybe short front end too (?), but worth looking at. They also make a 26" fork that might be a good alternative to the more popular MTB rigid fork stuff.

Here's a link to some wild Japanese takes on all bikes, but there's a lot of 24" stuff too: W-Base.

-L

jjchgo

Chimp
Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for the update jj but sorry to hear about Porter. He was a nice guy to deal with when I bought that frame.
seems like a really good guy. i emailed just today not knowing he was out of business. he wrote me back right away. he had one frame left sitting around, and was more then willing to sell it to me for a more then fair price.

cheers,

jj

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Cru: A well set-up Molly or Fall Guy might bridge this gap in function and feel that you are looking for. This isn't a sales pitch..I don't have anything to sell anyway.
Just based on what you've written here, and the way you have your Simple set-up, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with either bike. The riding experience is different than a 26" bike. I'm only suggesting it because it might be chance to own a single bike you are happy with on your regular trails that also functions well on the tighter stuff you want a cruiser for.

Anyway, if I was in the market for a cruiser, I'd have to give these guys a call: Kappa. Super cool looking bikes (I think) and their cruiser actually has a pretty short rear-end. Maybe short front end too (?), but worth looking at. They also make a 26" fork that might be a good alternative to the more popular MTB rigid fork stuff.

Here's a link to some wild Japanese takes on all bikes, but there's a lot of 24" stuff too: W-Base.

-L
Thanks, Landon, that's some good info. Yeah, I really like the Fall Guy and Molly... some of the ones posted on this thread are the coolest bikes I've seen. But, I still think I'd rather have that style of frame designed around a shorter, rigid fork. It'd be lighter and cheaper... I wouldn't have to spend almost what I spend on the frame for the fork. Plus, you'd have that extra height in the handle bars for tricks like Don was talking about. But, we'll see, I probably won't buy anything for awhile.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Holy shizz! The Kappa-24 has a 14.75" CS, a fugging 74* headangle, a 21.5 TT and weighs just under 5 pounds! PLUS it looks vintage! Wonder if it comes with a matching JT mouth guard??
Not too bad... Thing looks tight! I'd REALLY like to see one built up. That rearend looks kinda familiar... If the seatstays were to just kinda come down and meet the chainstays about half way through their radius...

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Cru,

Not to say it couldn't happen but a usa built Fit that used street worthy tubing would be every bit as heavy; likewise, to create short enough stays and slighlty wider tires causes the build cost to go way up....the horseshoe is a very expensive part of the frame (time and skill level required)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Im 10 days out from finishing my rebuild of the candy red trickstar I have.... :banana:

Its sitting next to my Fall Guy which I ride more than any other bike I have(had to keep the thread on track)
No f*ckin way! Pics or I'm going to steal it.

And Cru, you may wanna look closer at those Kappas. They totally fit you(you're an old, ol school fool, like me too). I think you'd like the M-24 more, though. It's their retro non-looped rearend.. I LOVE the geo on it...

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Boxxer: A Trickstar, and a Fall Guy? Wow.

Cru: Good luck on your cruiser quest. You are not alone. There's a PDX local who rides a cruiser really, really well. T-downs, the whole 9. I'm pretty sure his nick name is "Cruiser Brian." I forget what he rides , but I think it's a Haro cruiser? It has 990's, and he has his set-up with Gay Bars, or something even taller. I rode a cruiser for a while too...good times.

-L

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
well, wat do u guys think of the geo on my haro x24?
its not the newest..but ya..
looks good, only thing i see to be disappointing are the long stays...15.9" with 24's is long, but cruisers usually seem to have long stays anyways for racing and such so they mite not be that long. companies need to start making street inspired cruisers..

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Ummmm... I think that's what I've saying for the last 3 pages on this thread. :busted:
it's true man, i'd be next in line after you to get my hands on one. Wethepeople makes one that is pretty close...but when i emailed them regarding how expensive they were and if they were available in the US the guy who emailed me back wasn't really sure about any of it..come on BMX companies....someone do it!

edit: link to the WTP
http://wethepeople.de/V3/product/109

looks solid, don't know about the stay length though..

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ummm... anyone checked out the Shadow Conspiracy x Invisible:man cruiser yet?? FUKIN SICK.
I'm stuck between that and the DMR Drone. The option to run a short-ass sussy fork later would be nice to have if the wrists can't take it...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Ummm... anyone checked out the Shadow Conspiracy x Invisible:man cruiser yet?? FUKIN SICK.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It is kind of cool. But, I've never been sure if it's more of a "fashion" bike or a solidly built bike that you can shred on. If it was sold as frame only... I'd definitely be looking into it.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
my new Craigslist find. a 2004 specialized p-street 24". it does not have the d-street forks, but the forks on it (manitou) were lowered to 65/80 i think.

i put on dk bmx cruiser bars and an inverted xl primo casket stem. after riding bmx cruisers for so long, i just like the look and feel of a two piece bar above 24"s.

the bike rides great. manualed two city blocks with ease. still want to get a USB Molly some day, but at least now i gotta taste of the 24 mtbmx love.

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
This bike is only a prototype as of 12/06 and the guy that bike it is says it's a cruiser. Dose any one have any more info on this bike frame ? I have been reading this thread as all you wight in it and want to if you all think that the USB is the most like a BMX that you can get for street and park. Here is the link 24 Bicycles Hooligan Prototype.

http://ridestreet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2776