Quantcast

3/05 Pisgah shuttle

t66

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Looking to get a group of riders interested in shuttle runs around Pisgah Forest this Saturday.
I'm not very familiar with those mtns, but I've heard there's some great shuttle runs in the area.
Forcast say's there might be rain, that of course means it's sure to be a sunny day.
A few of us a looking to come up from Georgia so wer're looking to get an early start.

Buzz in if your interested.

Nov 10, 2003
asheville
you guys shouldnt shuttle pisgah all the best trails are non shuttle. if the hills of pisgah are too much for you go ride dupont. more rolly terrain but with wicked fun descents. tourists shuttling is being noticed by the forest service. please, ride your bike up hill too.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Don't know the situation, but if the "tourist" are driving on legal fireroads, then why does the forest service care if they are shuttling? Just asking not flaming.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
i would love to go this weekend, my friends and i from clemson were shuttling like a month ago and it was great. I would be glad to shuttle but as far as ride up thats out of the question caus my bike weighs 40 lbs and i struggled riding up a quarter of the way up one mountain. I know a couple people from around here that would come with me. Buck?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
rydronthestorm said:
you guys shouldnt shuttle pisgah all the best trails are non shuttle. if the hills of pisgah are too much for you go ride dupont. more rolly terrain but with wicked fun descents. tourists shuttling is being noticed by the forest service. please, ride your bike up hill too.

I'm not gonna say don't shuttle, because that would make me a huge hypocrite, but you just have to keep it quiet. Make sure to be real nice to any hikers, because a few routes are getting used a lot more since shuttling got popular.

t66

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
who gives at Rat's A$$ about the ethical questions involved about shuttling trails. This was an invitation to those who want to join in.

TP! I've heard you and your crew frequent these parts. Can you PM me what would be the most choice runs and general directions, where to park...etc? Where looking for fast, technical, long runs.... Join us if you can.

Anyone else interested?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
t66 said:
who gives at Rat's A$$ about the ethical questions involved about shuttling trails. This was an invitation to those who want to join in.
Thats not a very cool attitude to take. You have obviuously not been around biking very much. Because dirt jumps get plowed and DH trails get closed with attitudes like that. :nope:

No one help this guy unless he chills and finds a better attitude.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ok seriously....

Since I go to this area ALL the time, and when I go there I want to get in as much riding as possible we like to "shuttle." When I say shuttle, I dont mean repeated runs down the same trail on a full on DH bike or anything, but rather starting at the top of the mountain and riding as much as possible, finishing at the bottom and retrieving the original car at the end of the day.

That being said, I have the utmost respect for the area, the locals that ride and care for it. So my questions are this.

What are the EXACT rules for shuttling in the area? I have heard a bunch of stuff regarding how far off the Parkway you need to be before you can get on your bike. Some times there are signs, sometimes there aren't, some of the signs show bike right off the Parkway. Others just kinda have "access" paths from the Parkway down to where there is a trail sign (just the name of the trail, not who is allowed on it), but I know that trail is open to bikes.

I know a number of you are locals and have some good info, so without starting a flame war, give up some good info please. You dont need to name spots or anything.

t66

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
I've since been informed of several different trails. Probably meeting in the Davidson camprground parking lot early Saturday morning. We've got some locals meeting us so we should get several choice runs in, weather permitting.

I'll post a meeting time when we firm up our plans. Feel free to join in...even you wet-behind-the-ears tree-hugging types :blah: .

Later...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
t66 said:
I've since been informed of several different trails. Probably meeting in the Davidson camprground parking lot early Saturday morning. We've got some locals meeting us so we should get several choice runs in, weather permitting.

I'll post a meeting time when we firm up our plans. Feel free to join in...even you wet-behind-the-ears tree-hugging types :blah: .

Later...
this is Butch...what the FOKK is your problem? I'm not telling you jack to shuttle if you're a douche...hope you get lost and wind up in Waynesville. :mad:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
bizutch said:
this is Butch...what the FOKK is your problem? I'm not telling you jack to shuttle if you're a douche...hope you get lost and wind up in Waynesville. :mad:
agreed. From now on, when trails get closed, just remember good old T66. :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: :angry:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think all of you are a little out of hand.

shuttle it, climb it who cares.

as far as Robs question goes yes there is a buffer around the parkway that is hiking only it think it is 100 yards.
The opening to Trace ridge from the parkway is illegal.

as far as shuttling goes i say shuttle all ya want. Dont haul ass up the road and be nice to everyone you encounter.

all of you doggin on shuttle need to chill, i agree he is kinda being a dick but everyone here that has responded shuttles in pisgah so before you get on your high horse you should think about some of the trails you have shuttled.

i agree an attitude adjustment may be in order.

however hypocricism gets one nowhere.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
biggins said:

as far as Robs question goes yes there is a buffer around the parkway that is hiking only it think it is 100 yards.

as far as shuttling goes i say shuttle all ya want. Dont haul ass up the road and be nice to everyone you encounter.

all of you doggin on shuttle need to chill, i agree he is kinda being a dick but everyone here that has responded shuttles in pisgah so before you get on your high horse you should think about some of the trails you have shuttled.

wow dude, that was like, powerfull! hey I saw you last week. It was on I-85 about 20 from Greensboro. You were headed back to A-villa. I was blinded from this strange orange light as I neared what looked to be a bicycle floating on the other side of the highway divider. :blah:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
biggins said:

nobody said not to shuttle...they said he's an jackass!!! which means he acts like the kind of person who can get the rest of us shuttlers shut down.

t66

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Why are you boys so uptight? They'll be no raping or pilagiing the Mtns of Pisgah this weekend. We will spare the women and children. Some of you guys are more touchy than my wife at the height of her worst PMS day.

I appreciate the 411 on the attitude toward this type of trail use and we'll try our best not to make it to obviious that wer're shuttling. We're not be bringing up full blown DH bikes and won't be in full body armor either.
Local authorities if encountered will be treated with utmost respect and other trail users encountered will receive the same respect.

I'll probably be riding the Pisgah area alot this coming season as it's only an 1.5 hours from my house in NE GA. If I find it to be a shuttle friendly area it's even better.

Anyhow, join in if you like.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
pisgah is about an hour and a half from me, i will make it up there if i can get someone from here to go with me, im not too familiar with the roads and stuff up there so if someone can firm up a meeting site and time that would be great, hope the weather will be good!

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
its deffinatly shuttle friendly cause we shuttle it all the time. i couldnt imagin not shuttling some of those trails. but yeh like the rest of them said keep it on the dl. me and my crew are guilty of flyin up the roads and hoppin and hoalering biggins and tp can deffinatly vouch for me on this one. and yeh t66 work on the attidude, up here were real touchy about our trails and want to keep as many of them as possible RESPECT is the most important thing,especially right now, since everyone is so touchy about bikers on trails. Also a good idea would maybee stop into a lbs and talk to those guys about what you can do (sycamore cycles to be exact) about shuttling and keepin on the dl. and also maybee buy something from them so that you can help with some maintenance. nothing big but even a little bit helps. ohh and the trails might be kinda sloppy cause of the recent snow up here, so if you want i got a crew riding sunday if you want to join us if the trails are still a little sloppy. sorry for the long post.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
So its illegal, to walk down it? Or illegal to ride down it?

t66

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Hey Bizitch I got no problem, why don't you build up the new DHR and join us?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
This is Chris! I got no problem. Go Fokk yourself!
t66 said:
Hey Bizitch I got no problem, why don't you build up the new DHR and join us?
Hmmm, I got your original post sunshine...you corrected your post to mellow it out...which shows you thought better of the attitude, but I'll pass bro.
Just support your local DH race and we'll be square.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Heh, Busted. Dont you hate that.

Side note, Im actually planning on heading up there sometime in April. On some sunday of course since i work Saturdays. Be fun to check it out.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it is illegal to ride down it rob.

the thing that gets me is everyone on this thread just assumes that this guy is gonna be some kinda high test pisgah trail raper or something just because Ben (ryder) made a comment. Who knows, but im sure not gonna dog on him.

as for this better than thou because i climb up the hills blah blah blah crap im getting tired of it so fast. whats the f'n difference in usage if you climb or shuttle its still bikes on the same damn trail.

furthermore its not our fault we cant have some place where we can shuttle or even ride a lift that is better suited than the multiuse trails of pisgah.

motomike, that must have been wednesday.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
it is illegal to ride down it rob.
Cool, we had been walking down the first xyz yards anyway cause there were a bunch of trees crossing the trail.

biggins said:
as for this better than thou because i climb up the hills blah blah blah crap im getting tired of it so fast. whats the f'n difference in usage if you climb or shuttle its still bikes on the same damn trail.
Hell ya, or as you like to say wErD :D

biggins said:
furthermore its not our fault we cant have some place where we can shuttle or even ride a lift that is better suited than the multiuse trails of pisgah.
You get NO sympathy from me given the trails you have !!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Sucka!

See you in April, we will be shuttling some! Besides when you climb you burn through your buzz SO much faster. When you shuttle you can drink beer all the way to the top.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
See you in April, we will be shuttling some! Besides when you climb you burn through your buzz SO much faster. When you shuttle you can drink beer all the way to the top.

i think that is one of the funniest things i have heard you say, ever. but it is so true

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
Meeting area has been changed/set to Sycamore Cycles parking lot @ 9 or10am -ish (not sure which yet) Saturday morning.

I will be riding my newly built up blood-red Banshee Scream w/ 3.0 Gazzis wearing full DH storm-trooper garb complete with a WWI Nazi helmet. I'll also be bringing 2 cases of Budweiser and a 5th of Beam and my 3 foot bong, so whilst I'm "shuttlin" in the back of the pickup, singing Sweet Home Alabama at the top of my lungs, throwin Bud cans off into your virgin NC woods, I'll have something to do. Then, after I stop and pee off the Parkway, I'll commence running down any dumbass hiker who doesn't flee when they hear my Lynyrd Skynyrd opus at a volume of 11, on the way down the trail. Later when it gets dark, I'm gonna spot for deer so I have something to eat for dinner before I ride home, dumping Bud cans all along the way.

Please..........................You guys need to relax. We will have the utmost respect for your area and be as discreet as possible. You need to lay off T66, as he was only looking for people to join us in a good time of riding. The offer is still open to anybody who wants to come.

Sycamore Cycles parking lot, Sat 9am -ish...........bring your viking helmets. :evil:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
eio said:
Meeting area has been changed/set to Sycamore Cycles parking lot @ 9 or10am -ish (not sure which yet) Saturday morning.

I will be riding my newly built up blood-red Banshee Scream w/ 3.0 Gazzis wearing full DH storm-trooper garb complete with a WWI Nazi helmet. I'll also be bringing 2 cases of Budweiser and a 5th of Beam and my 3 foot bong, so whilst I'm "shuttlin" in the back of the pickup, singing Sweet Home Alabama at the top of my lungs, throwin Bud cans off into your virgin NC woods, I'll have something to do. Then, after I stop and pee off the Parkway, I'll commence running down any dumbass hiker who doesn't flee when they hear my Lynyrd Skynyrd opus at a volume of 11, on the way down the trail. Later when it gets dark, I'm gonna spot for deer so I have something to eat for dinner before I ride home, dumping Bud cans all along the way.

Please..........................You guys need to relax. We will have the utmost respect for your area and be as discreet as possible. You need to lay off T66, as he was only looking for people to join us in a good time of riding. The offer is still open to anybody who wants to come.

Sycamore Cycles parking lot, Sat 9am -ish...........bring your viking helmets. :evil:
You still don't get it do you? If you don't advertise on a forum then no one will harp on you. ;)

One of these days you'll show up somewhere you loved to ride and it will be closed. Then you might learn to be quite and not advertise where you're meeting and when and opening the invitation to everyone. :rolleyes:

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
profro said:
You still don't get it do you? If you don't advertise on a forum then no one will harp on you. ;)

One of these days you'll show up somewhere you loved to ride and it will be closed. Then you might learn to be quite and not advertise where you're meeting and when and opening the invitation to everyone. :rolleyes:
Oh boy. Here we go............

First of all, I wasn't aware that mountian biking on the verge of being banned in Pisgah.

Secondly, why don't you guys say what you mean.
What you guys should have said was "You are outsiders, stay out of our riding spot, go back to your own state, stay away stay away!"

I get it. I get that you guys are a bunch paranoid (bleeeeeeeps).

Yeah and I forgot that Pisgah & Dupont Forests were some secret sacred magical forests that only certain little elves knew about and were permitted and if caught "shuttling" the DER Ogre would smite them into oblivion.

Did I miss something? Did we "advertise" something illegal?

Now, none of you would have cried foul if the so called forbidden "s" word wouldn't have been mentioned. For some reason that has a negative connotation attached to it?

If T66 would have said "Hi, guys were planning on doing a group ride in Pisgah and we plan on pedaling up all the hills. Who wants to go?", that would've been politically and socially correct right?

What exactly is outlaw here? Group riding or not riding your bike up the mountain?

If organizing a group (barely a group at that) ride is illegal in Pisgah then why do sites like this exist:

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/

We're going to ride our bicycles in Pisgah. What difference does it make how we get to the top?

So on the behalf of myself and T66, I recind the former invitation to join us.

We have our crew, you guys can pound salt. And we won't leave a tire track, footprint or Bud can in your beloved Pisgah forest.

Oh I forgot........shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle !

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Here is the deal.
Pisgah is an awesome place to ride a bike. No secret there. Anybody who rides there feels really lucky to have that network of trails close to them, and they do not want to see anything happen to them.
I ride in pisgah at least every other weekend.
And I honestly shuttle there about every 1 in 10 rides.
There are a few reasons for that.
1- Pisgah is more suited to trail bikes, and DH rigs are overkill on most stuff out there.
2- Even on alot of the "shuttles" there, you end up having to push your azz off on a DH rig. And places like Farlow, you really get into some Last of the Mohican shiznit.
3- Alot of the best trails, you cannot really shuttle anyway, and you less likely to run into hikers on some of the remote areas that you have to climb to.

And if you do shuttle, it is best to be done in a small group with one vehicle,
and be like Fonzie when driving up and down the roads, because if one thing will get the trails shut down for us quick it is acting like a douche baloon on the fireroads.

The reason the locals get jazzed up on this is for the simple fact that they have seen idiots shuttling up there before.
I once ran into a truckful of wasted semen from Florida who had no business being in Pisgah (or Earth for that matter). They were on Karpiel Army's riding XC trails, and doing drops off of rocks right at the hikers feet at the bottom of the fish hatchery trail. Totally inconsiderate, not to mention that they could not ride their way out of a paper bag. :blah:

So, have fun, be cool, and I might see you guys up there somewhere.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Jeremy R said:
I once ran into a truckful of wasted semen from Florida who had no business being in Pisgah (or Earth for that matter). They were on Karpiel Army's riding XC trails, and doing drops off of rocks right at the hikers feet at the bottom of the fish hatchery trail. Totally inconsiderate, not to mention that they could not ride their way out of a paper bag. :blah:
For the record I do not know anyone that has a Karpiel! :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
eio said:
Oh boy. Here we go............

First of all, I wasn't aware that mountian biking on the verge of being banned in Pisgah.

Secondly, why don't you guys say what you mean.
What you guys should have said was "You are outsiders, stay out of our riding spot, go back to your own state, stay away stay away!"

I get it. I get that you guys are a bunch paranoid (bleeeeeeeps).

Yeah and I forgot that Pisgah & Dupont Forests were some secret sacred magical forests that only certain little elves knew about and were permitted and if caught "shuttling" the DER Ogre would smite them into oblivion.

Did I miss something? Did we "advertise" something illegal?

Now, none of you would have cried foul if the so called forbidden "s" word wouldn't have been mentioned. For some reason that has a negative connotation attached to it?

If T66 would have said "Hi, guys were planning on doing a group ride in Pisgah and we plan on pedaling up all the hills. Who wants to go?", that would've been politically and socially correct right?

What exactly is outlaw here? Group riding or not riding your bike up the mountain?

If organizing a group (barely a group at that) ride is illegal in Pisgah then why do sites like this exist:

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/

We're going to ride our bicycles in Pisgah. What difference does it make how we get to the top?

So on the behalf of myself and T66, I recind the former invitation to join us.

We have our crew, you guys can pound salt. And we won't leave a tire track, footprint or Bud can in your beloved Pisgah forest.

Oh I forgot........shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle shuttle !
you related to Chris Warren.....

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
Jeremy R said:
Here is the deal.
Pisgah is an awesome place to ride a bike. No secret there. Anybody who rides there feels really lucky to have that network of trails close to them, and they do not want to see anything happen to them.
I ride in pisgah at least every other weekend.
And I honestly shuttle there about every 1 in 10 rides.
There are a few reasons for that.
1- Pisgah is more suited to trail bikes, and DH rigs are overkill on most stuff out there.
2- Even on alot of the "shuttles" there, you end up having to push your azz off on a DH rig. And places like Farlow, you really get into some Last of the Mohican shiznit.
3- Alot of the best trails, you cannot really shuttle anyway, and you less likely to run into hikers on some of the remote areas that you have to climb to.

And if you do shuttle, it is best to be done in a small group with one vehicle,
and be like Fonzie when driving up and down the roads, because if one thing will get the trails shut down for us quick it is acting like a douche baloon on the fireroads.

The reason the locals get jazzed up on this is for the simple fact that they have seen idiots shuttling up there before.

So, have fun, be cool, and I might see you guys up there somewhere.
Your concern is understandable and commendable.

But, there are some other fudgeknuckles on here making pretty gross assumptions about us.

We won't be on big DH rigs..Karpiels?....ha ha ha. We won't be in full on DH armor. We won't hucking off the trails onto hikers. We won't be redneckin up the fireroads.
We won't be building stunts........etc., etc.

Our crew is about respect cuz we appreciate riding places like Pisgah just as much as you locals do.

Respect!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
For the record I do not know anyone that has a Karpiel! :thumb:
Oh, this was years ago and certainly not your crew. It is the only group of guys on bikes that I have ever met that I did not consider bikers. First, they told me all they did in Florida was ride off loading docks and urban hucks, and that they never rode trails. They complained endlessly every time they had to walk their fat azzes up a hill, even though I told them they were gonna have to. See, I was doing a trail ride on a 4 inch Tracer and hooked up with them, and told them where to go. I climbed the road that they shuttled, and tried to show them around. They then proceeded to b1tch and moan every time the trail was a little muddy or if they had to cross a puddle. I got tired of listening to them and proceeded to smoke them to the bottom. I did wait for them near the fish hatchery so I could tell them how to get back to their truck. After what seemed like forever, one of them pulled up , saw a group of hikers and dropped a rock right at their feet, and they all started yelling.
It was miserable. Now I just wave when I see a truck full of people that I do not know. ;)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
this thread is pretty f'n retarded at this point.

i ride pisgah all the time i shuttle pisgah all the time. I think people are jumping to conclusions in lots of different areas. i see a few things that need to happen.

1. dont be so quick to judge poeople by what they say on here.
2. people that always pedal or primarily pedal uphill are going to have to get used to the people that dont.
3. people need to exhibit respect for the land, anyone using, and the people that manage it. thats regardless of where you are, even if it if someones backyard jumps, it should just be a givin.
4. the forest service is going to have to come tp terms with this use one way or the other. It is a ligitimate and growing use that is still less impactfull than a stampede of horses running down some of the trails all weekend long.

these are just my thoughts. you guys go have fun and shuttle. i wish i could make it but i have a job interview on saturday.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
biggins said:
this thread is pretty f'n retarded at this point.

i ride pisgah all the time i shuttle pisgah all the time. I think people are jumping to conclusions in lots of different areas. i see a few things that need to happen.

1. dont be so quick to judge poeople by what they say on here.
2. people that always pedal or primarily pedal uphill are going to have to get used to the people that dont.
3. people need to exhibit respect for the land, anyone using, and the people that manage it. thats regardless of where you are, even if it if someones backyard jumps, it should just be a givin.
4. the forest service is going to have to come tp terms with this use one way or the other. It is a ligitimate and growing use that is still less impactfull than a stampede of horses running down some of the trails all weekend long.

these are just my thoughts. you guys go have fun and shuttle. i wish i could make it but i have a job interview on saturday.
I agree on all points. Thank you & yes we will.

t66

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
call one of my friends a "Chris Warren"! You should be banned for such vularity :nope: !

I gotta take responsiblity for the thread derailment. My first reply about "not giving a rat's ass..." seemed to be the real turning point next time I'll make it obvious when I'm being sarcastic.

No more posted shuttle runs at Pisgah. I'll be more discreet in the future.

Later Guys

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well feel free to post about rides in pisgah, you just may wanna title the thread something like Pisah........ or riding pisgah on......... the rest will work itself out.