Quantcast

30mm or 35mm inner rim width?

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Plus tires, and excessively wide rims will be deader than 26" soon. It's looking like we'll settle between 25 to 30mm.

On to the next trend: E-bike rims with lane keep assist.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Plus tires, and excessively wide rims will be deader than 26" soon. It's looking like we'll settle between 25 to 30mm.

e-mtb is the new enduro. e-mtb specific and e-mtb compatibile will be the new big sales and marketing pitch. shit, it's already happening with tires and brakes.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

Wrong!

The Industry™ doesn't kill standards*, it creates more of them.

There's still an untapped market- Snow racing!
Tires, wheels, frames, hubs(more standards!) and forks. We'll be introduced to this market soon. Why? There's a huge gap in the tire market yet. 3.0-3.8" tires. With snow racing becoming more popular and the fact that they happen on machine packed, groomed, flat land trails, are 5" tires necessary?

Before you know it, Park will have to come up with a new truing stand.

*The exception is anything that worked flawlessly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rims will have to get wider when the hubless chainless maglev rim drive standards come out.

Even wider when the hubless chainless maglev rim drive + standard comes out.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
i dunno. i've seen more plus bikes than fat bikes lately.
I'm just basing that on more than one media site that's been spreading rumors of Plus demise. The media wouldn't undercut future sales if new plus stuff was coming out. All the 2018 plus stuff was likely ordered up when it was still up in the air as to whether more money would be invested in plus. Sounds like the industry is going to pull the plug and invest that money into plug in bikes. Human powered is so 2017.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
e-mtb is the new enduro. e-mtb specific and e-mtb compatibile will be the new big sales and marketing pitch. shit, it's already happening with tires and brakes.
It's bad, all bad. Pro sponsorships are already happening, and the marketing push will only increase considering how much money across so many companies has been invested. It's about to get real. Hopefully I'm worried about trail access for no reason. I really don't care if people want to ride mopeds instead of mountain bikes. I do care about trail access. Wilderness access in particular which is actually on the table right now. Talk about a shitty time for E-bikes to enter the fray!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I fail at the new wide rim thing. My new Kona came with a 2.5 WT Minion DHF on a 29mm WTB rim, but the front end feels a bit vague, heavy and slow rolling. Gonna go back to a slightly narrower rim and tyre I think - dunno if the wide tyre thing suits different terrain more or I'm just stuck in the past.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Just one more opinion: for me, 2.4 maxis on 25mm rims just feels right... wider rims = slower and less cornering feel for me.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Wilderness access in particular which is actually on the table right now.
I don't really get what a difference an e-bike makes compare to a real mountain bike when it comes to trail access and mostly respect for the wilderness/nature: the power output is still quite low so that e-bikes will not damage the trails more than real bikes and the sound from the motor is really low...

Don't get me wrong, I am not for e-bikes, I am not against either or maybe just a bit since it feels more like a need created by the industry than an answer to what people want.

And sorry for the off topic!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't really get what a difference an e-bike makes compare to a real mountain bike when it comes to trail access and mostly respect for the wilderness/nature: the power output is still quite low so that e-bikes will not damage the trails more than real bikes and the sound from the motor is really low...

Don't get me wrong, I am not for e-bikes, I am not against either or maybe just a bit since it feels more like a need created by the industry than an answer to what people want.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2018-turbo-levo-carbon-too-slow-1065732.html

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017

You have to look at it through other user groups eyes. The Wilderness Act bill is in play as we speak. Do we really want to give ammo to the Sierra Club in the form of motorized mountain bikes? What other mountain bikers think about their impact isn't relevant. Non mountain bikers aren't going to understand the difference between pedal assist and throttle controlled motorbikes. All they know is there's a motor. We are trying to get around the non mechanized transportaion clause of the Wilderness Act. Do you think E-bikes are going to help or hurt us on that one?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
You have to look at it through other user groups eyes. The Wilderness Act bill is in play as we speak. Do we really want to give ammo to the Sierra Club in the form of motorized mountain bikes?.....
Non mountain bikers aren't going to understand the difference between pedal assist and throttle controlled motorbikes. All they know is there's a motor. We are trying to get around the non mechanized transportaion clause of the Wilderness Act. Do you think E-bikes are going to help or hurt us on that one?
"This bill amends the Wilderness Act to declare that provisions of such Act prohibiting the use of motorized vehicles, aircraft, or other forms of mechanical transport shall not prohibit the use of motorized wheelchairs, non-motorized wheelchairs, non-motorized bicycles, strollers, wheelbarrows, survey wheels, or game carts within any wilderness areas."

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1349

They pretty much have it spelled out to not allow e-bikes, but some asshole will be in the wilderness on one to try to make waves.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I don't know all the details about the Wilderness Act since I live in Sweden where there is something called allemansrätten or "freedom to roam" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

The Wilderness Act as stated above seems quite clear even if I am no politician or lawyer with the ability to bend any sentence to its opposite. Then there will always be people not respecting the law...
I really hope for you guys that e-bikes will not make real mtb unwelcome in the areas covered by the Wilderness Act.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
"This bill amends the Wilderness Act to declare that provisions of such Act prohibiting the use of motorized vehicles, aircraft, or other forms of mechanical transport shall not prohibit the use of motorized wheelchairs, non-motorized wheelchairs, non-motorized bicycles, strollers, wheelbarrows, survey wheels, or game carts within any wilderness areas."

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1349

They pretty much have it spelled out to not allow e-bikes, but some asshole will be in the wilderness on one to try to make waves.
For sure, and organizations that actually have power like the sierra club can make a case that allowing bikes but not E-mtb will be very difficult to enforce. The fact that it will be a state by state thing also allows for local groups to advocate against opening up their wilderness when they see some guy going 20mph up hill on multi use trails when they used to only see normal MTB use. This is just awful timing for E-bikes to be blowing up.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
So what inner rim width should I go with?

STC or imba?
Nice one!

STC knows what's up. They would prefer 25 to 30mm rims, while IMBA would go plus sized to handle all the rocks they removed, and to fit better on the wide dirt sidewalks they call trails.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I personally have settled on 35mm on both my bikes...running a chromag surface with i35carbon 2.6 butcher/slaughter for trails, and my nomad has i35 aluminum 2.6 DHF's both ends...seems to work fine...I am sure I could get all crazy and size down but I won't do that until my shit is destroyed.

Disclaimer my aluminum rims on the nomad have about 28 huge dents in them and still seal up tubless fine, it's incredible.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
I don't know all the details about the Wilderness Act since I live in Sweden where there is something called allemansrätten or "freedom to roam" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam
according to allemansrätten your not allowed to ride an ebike in nature, since they have a motor they fall under the same rules/law as motorcycles. Local authorises (länstyrelsen) can make exceptions for certain areas. But so far they don't really care.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Looking for new wheels for wifes trail bike with higher engagement hubs. She has a v3 Turner Flux, 130mm front, 120mm back. She currently has some Arch EX and normally runs 2.2 Schwalbe's.

Looking at the I9 Trail S or Enduro S, which are 24.5mm and 30.5mm internal. I have 26mm rims and run 2.3 Maxxis, will the 30mm stretch a 2.3 too much if I get her the Enduro version?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Looking for new wheels for wifes trail bike with higher engagement hubs. She has a v3 Turner Flux, 130mm front, 120mm back. She currently has some Arch EX and normally runs 2.2 Schwalbe's.

Looking at the I9 Trail S or Enduro S, which are 24.5mm and 30.5mm internal. I have 26mm rims and run 2.3 Maxxis, will the 30mm stretch a 2.3 too much if I get her the Enduro version?
Nope should be good. I run 2.4/2.2s Maxxis tires on my 30mm rims and the tire profiles are nice and I found the traction to be noticeably better vs the 22mm rims I had on before.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yeah, should be good, my preference is for carbon rims at those wheel prices, but that's a good size.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I9 Trail270's would be a better option. Maybe they will move the new Trail270 rim to the S model at some point in the future.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I9 Trail270's would be a better option. Maybe they will move the new Trail270 rim to the S model at some point in the future.
Agreed on the rim width, but I'm trying to avoid the proprietary spokes option, that's why I was looking at the S versions.

I can get the trail S or Enduro S for just under $700.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Fuck, I'm living in teh past.

19mm on the trailbike
23mm on the Freeride/Allmountain/Enduro/Dhlite/long-travel pedal up/whatever you want to call it bike
25mm on the DH bike.

Am I in danger of going up in flames or dying on my unrideabru wheelz?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Fuck, I'm living in teh past.

19mm on the trailbike
23mm on the Freeride/Allmountain/Enduro/Dhlite/long-travel pedal up/whatever you want to call it bike
25mm on the DH bike.

Am I in danger of going up in flames or dying on my unrideabru wheelz?
You're only in danger of being bullied by the cool kids on IMBA-approved flow trails. Just stay away from these and you'll be fine.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Is your trail bike a 29'er? That would explain the 19x700 road wheels. Hahaha!

No seriously, are your wheels made of wood? Lol!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Tantrum Cycles well... Yes and no. The REAL problem. It could be argued. Is acceptance of power.

Proverbial* chicken n egg init?

* "proverbial" part being important seeing as modern science now seems to think it's proven the answer

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Tbh, I didn't ever pay attention to rim width in the past. In 2010 I found the Syncros DS32's and liked them for their weight (28mm inner). Not XC, not quite DH supposedly. The graphics made them pretty cool too for my build at that time. 5 years later everyone is talking about inner rim width. I had no idea what it mattered, or that I was currently riding in the future.
Whats funny is that my 2015 DH (DT fr570) bike has narrow rims than my 2017 Endurbro (DT ex481) . I think they're 26mm and 30mm respectively.

I started this thread cause I'm not following the lizards. Since my new frame will fit up to a 2.8, but I intended to run 2.3's, I wasn't sure where to go with it. I settled for Spank Race 33's (28mm inner) and will give the new 2.6" tires a try. Why not?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
30mm ID chiner carbons with 2.3 specialized tires. really like the combo. wish I went for stronger sidewalls. wheels are impossibly lighter than anything I've ridden in the past though.