Quantcast

-----> 4° F <-----

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Today's FTS is Haley's laptop. Her Chromebook isn't running a school program and after some research turns out it's reached end of life for Chrome OS. Only options are new laptop or updating to Win10 and forcing her to learn a new OS. Also not sure about ability of computer to run Win10. So, now shopping for new, refurbished Chromebook. Dammit.

@johnbryanpeters got any actual (non-religious) charities I should be sending this thing to or know of any in CO that would need laptops for kids?
gib old laptop to kid, buy new laptop for self?

I was trying to see if I could use my iPad2 for a note taking tablet during meetings, but the fucker can't even run onenote at this point :( May as well recycle it I guess.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
gib old laptop to kid, buy new laptop for self?

I was trying to see if I could use my iPad2 for a note taking tablet during meetings, but the fucker can't even run onenote at this point :( May as well recycle it I guess.
Current laptop is Wifey's old $2,500 laptop. New kid laptop $200-300. Think the plan is she gets a new, cheap one.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ultimately, I would love a SawStop. Alas, I have neither the space nor resources for that level of saw, so my Dewalt jobsite saw will have to suffice. You better bet I'll be employing the riving knife, push sticks, and standing out of the blade path. I know that doesn't eliminate the potential for kickback or having a hand pulled into the saw, but that's just an inherent risk of table saws.

My grandfather cut his hand in half and earned a lifeflight into Boston with his table saw.
I have a jobsite SawStop. I can break it down as needed and have built a table that I can break down as a run-out.

I've already had kickback more than once and it scares the living shit out of me - even with a SawStop and using pushers. Your finger will ALWAYS be worth more than $1600.

If you decide to get a cabinet or shop table later you will get 75% retail on your jobsite saw. The demand is so high.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
holy crap, that's crazy. how many years has it been? 2 or 3 iirc? unbelievable how fragile our brains are... and how seemingly random recovery can be. I wish you guys luck moving forward...
March will be 4 years. she was declared legally disabled at the beginning of december.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I have a jobsite SawStop. I can break it down as needed and have built a table that I can break down as a run-out.

I've already had kickback more than once and it scares the living shit out of me - even with a SawStop and using pushers. Your finger will ALWAYS be worth more than $1600.

If you decide to get a cabinet or shop table later you will get 75% retail on your jobsite saw. The demand is so high.
I need to buy one. I use my table saw a lot. I am extremely cautious with it, but shit does happen. Yes your fingers are work a hell of a lot more than $1600.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I need to buy one. I use my table saw a lot. I am extremely cautious with it, but shit does happen. Yes your fingers are work a hell of a lot more than $1600.

I am super careful around my saw but 20 years ago I cut a very small chunk of my thumb off. I was super lucky it wasn't more than a bit of skin. I wasn't even cutting something at the time but reaching for a piece of wood and tripped on a bit of wood and fell towards the blade.

Now I want a new table saw with a sliding carriage.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Went karting today down in @stoney 's hood. 38 minutes with no traffic is too far to do this regularly but it was fun. Did 3 races. Last two were in the pseudo-shifter karts (they're all electric, just controls the power map?). Laid down a 23.65 in the last race and was happy enough with my line by the end of it all, although no doubt I'm still screwing the pooch here and there and just not realizing it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
March will be 4 years. she was declared legally disabled at the beginning of december.
Fark. I didn't realize it was that bad. For some reason i was under the impression she had pretty much healed and there was just neck stiffness. I hope a resolution and a full recovery are still possible.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Went karting today down in @stoney 's hood. 38 minutes with no traffic is too far to do this regularly but it was fun. Did 3 races. Last two were in the pseudo-shifter karts (they're all electric, just controls the power map?). Laid down a 23.65 in the last race and was happy enough with my line by the end of it all, although no doubt I'm still screwing the pooch here and there and just not realizing it.
That's not too shabby for a 1st trip down.

They are opening a new one in Thornton soon.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am super careful around my saw but 20 years ago I cut a very small chunk of my thumb off. I was super lucky it wasn't more than a bit of skin. I wasn't even cutting something at the time but reaching for a piece of wood and tripped on a bit of wood and fell towards the blade.

Now I want a new table saw with a sliding carriage.
I use my carriage all the time, but the blade still shows through it and you can't use it for everything.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
friemd is dragging a trailer across kansas tomorrow....good luck with that...

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Ultimately, I would love a SawStop. Alas, I have neither the space nor resources for that level of saw, so my Dewalt jobsite saw will have to suffice. You better bet I'll be employing the riving knife, push sticks, and standing out of the blade path. I know that doesn't eliminate the potential for kickback or having a hand pulled into the saw, but that's just an inherent risk of table saws.

My grandfather cut his hand in half and earned a lifeflight into Boston with his table saw.
Edit: No clue how the earlier references to the jobsite saw didn't show up when I was typing this. I have the PCS and it's a great saw. I'm sure the jobsite version wouldn't disappoint.

They have a jobsite saw. Not cheap and not as compact as some of the smaller jobsite saws but compare to the cost of cutting your finger off...

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Edit: No clue how the earlier references to the jobsite saw didn't show up when I was typing this. I have the PCS and it's a great saw. I'm sure the jobsite version wouldn't disappoint.

They have a jobsite saw. Not cheap and not as compact as some of the smaller jobsite saws but compare to the cost of cutting your finger off...

Still contemplating whether to drop the extra $900 for the SawStop. I'd love to, but cash is tight at the moment, and unfortunately I'll need a saw to do some stuff around the house.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Still contemplating whether to drop the extra $900 for the SawStop. I'd love to, but cash is tight at the moment, and unfortunately I'll need a saw to do some stuff around the house.
SSDI is worth about $1k/m for amputation. Insurance riders to account for a hand amputation pay out $25k+. They are worth far more than $900.

Fuck dude, if you don't have the cash I'll send it to you - just pay me back. That's how serious about it I am.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I use my Makita track saw a lot as well. It's not as accurate as I would normally want, but it's good for 90% of jobs I do.
I have one as well and have used it a lot. I find it to be pretty darned accurate, but if using it for repeated cuts at the same dimension it does need to be paired with something else like parallel guides, the Festool MFT, etc.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
https://www.cosgravelaw.com/uploads/2014/07/SawStop.pdf

A quick interesting read on a few table saw litigations.
Classic, remove all the safety features, when the saw binds just push harder and then when you get injured, sue the manufacturer for not including a safety feature that the operator likely would have disabled anyway. Incidentally Saw Stop has a patent on the technology and refused to license it to anybody, while simultaneously petitioning for new consumer protection laws that would make theirs the only saw that could legally be sold.

Table saws really aren’t that dangerous, unless you go out of your way to defeat all the safety features, and/or use them wrong. The practices I see in most shops when it comes to table saws are just downright scary. Cabinet makers are just about the worst of the worst due to the inherent dangers of cutting plywood, flooring guys are right up there as well. Saw Stops only mitigate some of that danger, still have to worry about kick back, which can be just as bad as the blade. If you really want to work safe, track saw and something like the MFT table or a panel saw are where it’s at.

Not an argument against Saw Stop necessarily, but they’re definitely not a panacea, and it’s really not surprising that shops with a history of injuries, likely due to a lack of adherence to any kind of safety standards would shy away from them. It also never surprises me when guys who learned on Saw Stops and were never taught a healthy fear of their saw get mangled from kick back because their set-is was garbage.

The good news is that their patent expires soon. Bad news for Stoney because his contractor saw will tank in value once Bosch can sell their safety saw again, and you better believe Powermatic, Jet, Dewalt, and everyone else already has their system designed and ready for launch the second they’re legally allowed.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Classic, remove all the safety features, when the saw binds just push harder and then when you get injured, sue the manufacturer for not including a safety feature that the operator likely would have disabled anyway. Incidentally Saw Stop has a patent on the technology and refused to license it to anybody, while simultaneously petitioning for new consumer protection laws that would make theirs the only saw that could legally be sold.

Table saws really aren’t that dangerous, unless you go out of your way to defeat all the safety features, and/or use them wrong. The practices I see in most shops when it comes to table saws are just downright scary. Cabinet makers are just about the worst of the worst due to the inherent dangers of cutting plywood, flooring guys are right up there as well. Saw Stops only mitigate some of that danger, still have to worry about kick back, which can be just as bad as the blade. If you really want to work safe, track saw and something like the MFT table or a panel saw are where it’s at.

Not an argument against Saw Stop necessarily, but they’re definitely not a panacea, and it’s really not surprising that shops with a history of injuries, likely due to a lack of adherence to any kind of safety standards would shy away from them. It also never surprises me when guys who learned on Saw Stops and were never taught a healthy fear of their saw get mangled from kick back because their set-is was garbage.

The good news is that their patent expires soon. Bad news for Stoney because his contractor saw will tank in value once Bosch can sell their safety saw again, and you better believe Powermatic, Jet, Dewalt, and everyone else already has their system designed and ready for launch the second they’re legally allowed.
I don’t disagree. I’ve been using a table saw for 25 years or so and still have all fingers intact.

The same could go for many other highly dangerous tools/machines. All PTO shafts come with shields now. They make greasing the u-joints a pain in the ass so a lot of guys remove them. Nothing like getting your arm yanked off.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
How about radial arm saws? Those are fun when the blade digs in and the saw runs at you. I don’t know which I respect more. Radial or table? Throw in a dull blade and now we’re talking!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
How about radial arm saws? Those are fun when the blade digs in and the saw runs at you. I don’t know which I respect more. Radial or table? Throw in a dull blade and now we’re talking!
You ever see the old owners manuals for radial arm saws from the 50s and 60s? Holy sketch!

The ultimate in safety is a radial with a wobble dado, that’s one that will separate the men from their fingers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I bought a cheap used radial arm saw, used it once then dragged it out to the curb.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
looks like a pretty big one too.

@Changleen can you fit a cassette in there?
Correct; ultrasonic bath. It’s great, all the small things can just get chucked in but I do mostly use it for chains. Re: Cassettes, it probably wouldn’t fit a 50t, but like a 32 would fit I think. However since I use wax on my chain though, my cassette stays so much cleaner it doesn’t really need this. I simply use a large hard brush (like a huge nail brush) with a little degreaser on to clean any dry mud splatter off my cassette these days.
You can buy ones big enough for a cassette but the price ramps up with size. This one easily fits things like derailleurs though, but I wouldn’t put a modern clutched on in there, they get stripped by hand.

Last edited: