Quantcast

4 Oakland PD Officers Gunned Down

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
This is the scariest area of Oakland that I work. It is gangbanger central, My Partner and I took an old woman home from the hospital to a home on 74th in our ambulance one block down from McArthur at dusk and it scared the piss out of us just 2 weeks ago. I have probably spoken to at least one of the dead officers.
this has me all tore up

May they rest in peace

OAKLAND - Four Oakland police officers were shot to death in two separate incidents involving one suspect near the Eastmont police substation this afternoon, law enforcement sources said.
The first shooting happened in the 7400 block of McArthur Boulevard at 1:16 p.m. today when two motorcycle officers were wounded. What led to the shooting was not immediately known.

About 3:20 p.m., two more police officers were wounded in an exchange of gunfire with the suspect while trying to take him into custody in the 2700 block of 74th Avenue. That suspect was shot and killed.

Officers were walking to the substation consoling each other, some visibly crying, to attend a news conference at 4:30 p.m.

A man who did not want his name to be used and works at a barber shop on the corner of McArthur Boulevard and 73rd Avenue, said he heard gunshots from outside and went down the block where he saw two officers laying on the ground near each other.

"I went over to one officer and saw he was bleeding from his helmet pretty bad," he said. "The other officer was laying motionless."

He said the officer lying near a car had two gun shot bullets near in his face. One bullet was lodged in his jaw and the other in his neck.

The man proceeded to give the officer CPR until police arrived on the scene, he said.

Dozens of Oakland police, California Highway Patrol officers and Alameda County sheriff deputies had cordoned off stretches of blocks around 73rd and 74th avenues and McArthur Boulevard. Helicopters hovered for hours over the crime scene. Officers staked out the neighborhood trying to find the suspects involved.
No one could remember when four officers were shot in the line of duty on the same day.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sad news for sure.

In the mid 90s I was coming back from Palo Alto via San Francisco and somehow took the wrong exit and ended up in Oakland. It was the middle of the day and yet there was no one on the streets and no traffic. Many of the cars on the streets had no wheels. Kind of scary.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thank god they killed that mother f-er and didnt waste tax payers money rotting in jail. a guy who shots 6 cops deserves to suffer

RIP boys

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Damn, that is ****ed up.

Sounds to me like its time for some ghetto cleaning.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
latest update

OAKLAND &#8212; In the most horrific day of Oakland Police Department history, three police sergeants were shot to death by the same gunman within two hours of each other. A fourth officer involved in a second shooting with the suspect also was wounded and in extremely critical condition Saturday night.

The three veteran officers killed were all sergeants: Erv Romans, 43, , Dan Sakai, 35, and Mark Dunakin, 41,. This was the first time that any sergeants in the department have been slain. Officer John Hege, 41, of Concord is on life support at Highland Hospital.

The incident represents the highest number of police officers ever killed in the line duty on the same day in Oakland.

"This is just

unbelievable, everyone is in shock," said one Oakland police sergeant.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm curious how many of the protestors are going to behave from this point on. I bet the Oakland police won't be so forgiving...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oakland just crossed the threshold into warzone. We are going to start hearing about more officer related shootings soon. Better to kill than be killed.
RIP officers

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Info about the killer:

Lovelle Mixon's shocked family, gathering at an East Oakland home where the parolee had been living until recently, apologized to the officers' families and to the public, and said they don't understand what might have triggered his burst of violence.

"He's not a monster," said his sister, 24-year-old Enjoli Mixon, whose apartment on 74th Avenue was where Mixon was slain in a gun battle with police that left two Oakland SWAT officers dead. "I don't want people to think he's a monster. He's just not. He's just not."

"We're crushed that this happened," said his grandmother, Mary Mixon. "Our hearts and prayers go out to the officers' families....This shouldn't have happened."

Lovelle Mixon was on parole arising from an offense in San Francisco. Mixon was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon stemming from an armed robbery in robbery in San Francisco, the family members said. He initially served six years, and then served another nine months after violating his parole when he got out.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/22/BAAU16L4OI.DTL

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
damn

OAKLAND, California - Police say the fourth Oakland police officer shot on Saturday has died at a city hospital.

Oakland police spokesman Jeff Thomason says 41-year-old Officer John Hege died Sunday at Highland Hospital after being gravely wounded during a traffic stop.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
It really is turning into the wild west down there.

I see OPD stepping it up some, and there not being a lot of tolerance for anyone who thinks its open season on the cops.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It really is turning into the wild west down there.

I see OPD stepping it up some, and there not being a lot of tolerance for anyone who thinks its open season on the cops.
I warned a friend who lives on Fruitvale to watch himself. No running red lights, no attitude, just stay indoors this weekend.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
damn

OAKLAND, California - Police say the fourth Oakland police officer shot on Saturday has died at a city hospital.

Oakland police spokesman Jeff Thomason says 41-year-old Officer John Hege died Sunday at Highland Hospital after being gravely wounded during a traffic stop.
might as well be dead IMO
A police officer shot during a traffic stop has been pronounced brain dead but remained on life support, police said Sunday, retracting an earlier statement that he had died.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090322/ap_on_re_us/police_shot_ca

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
People lingered at the scene of the first shooting. About 20 bystanders taunted police.
http://news.aol.com/article/3-officers-dead-in-california-shootings/392279

a few CS grenades would've taken care of those worthless pukes.

god only knows how this will embolden the thugs who were on the fence about shooting a cop. :mad: this guy will be a new underground hero and they'll probably make a grand theft auto video game in his honor.:disgust1::disgust1: :dead:

...and they say that cops are overly paranoid :rolleyes: :disgust1:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I just heard a live interview with the family. Apparently it was the Parole Officer's fault for not making enough appearances.

I also found this from the Indy Media. http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/03/22/18580559.php

I won't quote it because it is near delusional.
delusional

no, it's the ranting of a total asshat who when he needs help will dial 911 and then rant and rave that the police,fire, and ems didn't get there fast enough :plthumbsdown:

first off.............RIP to brothers in Blue.

secondly.................That fvcking piece of **** who wrote that arrticle can rot in a sh*t storm of hell for his BIASED, RACIST "journalism". I'm nauseated by this cretin and I'm mortified that ANY news media would publish such a disgusting and unabashed declaration of hate.

Thirdly...........I, for one, and happy to see that that piece of **** perp, who should have been locked up the FIRST time, is going to rot in hell for his actions! And I hope his family feels ten times what the officers families feel.

FVCKING DOUCHEBAG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ROT IN HELL!!

RIP Officers!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your families and friends!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Frankly, I like to know what happened procedurally. I wonder what happened that a single perp was able to shoot two officers initially, then during the raid into his apartment.

This is not the time for these questions, but I hope the public will be made aware.

EDIT: Looks like the questions has already been posed:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/22/MNCT16L5SI.DTL

Police and law enforcement experts will dissect the case to find out what went wrong Saturday, likely breaking the incident in two: the traffic stop that left two motorcycle officers fatally wounded, and the SWAT operation two hours later that left two officers and the suspect dead.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Well the suspect dead is simple, he screwed with the cops, he got a lead sandwich.

How he was able to drop that many cops is something I've been thinking about since I heard about this. Dropping two to three SWAT cops is not easy.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I saw this story on the world news last night. I usually could care less about this kind of stuff because it happens so often I am desencitized. But what sent me in a loop was a brief interview with the shooters sister(or other family member) she said that he was a good guy and that he just couldn't go back to jail, he didn't deserve to be in jail or some BS like that.

I went off in my own living room, bitching to my wife about how this lady is a ignorant mother f*cker! How the F^ck does this guy not deserve to be in jail? He carries a gun and is cold enough to shoot people? did he actually think he would get away? WTF?!?!

I have spent many hours working in the "hood" of Buffalo dealing with these people. I have zero respect for them and wish very bad things to happen to them. I will leave it at that so I do not offend anyone on here.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have spent many hours working in the "hood" of Buffalo dealing with these people. I have zero respect for them and wish very bad things to happen to them. I will leave it at that so I do not offend anyone on here.
The "hood" of Buffalo is east side, west side, south, north...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The "hood" of Buffalo is east side, west side, south, north...
North? I would move back to Buffalo if i could live there... South is not really the "hood" either(unless you consider the First ward to be distinct from Downtown).... I am from the East side (East Delevan by Grider). To qoute you... "have you been drinking??"