Quantcast

All time best metal records?

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Back to the metal! Hello Kitty: Some good albums you got there.

There are so many nooks and crannies in the metal world. You could rattle off dozens of sub-generes and classic/signature albums for each sound.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I forgot to mention that anything by Clutch is good. I love the new one, Blast Tyrant, it is such a great album. So is Pure Rock Fury. Careful with that Mic is a funny song to listen to. Love all their stuff. They are one of my favorite bands.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
ROCKLAND said:

There are so many nooks and crannies in the metal world. You could rattle off dozens of sub-generes and classic/signature albums for each sound.
i've been a metal head since my first KISS album in 74' there are SO MANY metal bands that i dig that just putting down 5 is gonna be hard to do.

in the last few years i've not bought much nu-metal it all sounds like crap i hate that stuff that sounds all hard and heavy riffs then the guy halfway thru the song starts some gay ass high singing when i saw SLAYER last week the band killswitch engage was just another one of those bands...now MASTODON that opend for them kicked total ASS!!! in the last year or so i've only bought i think...some Hatebreed and the new Mastodon Cd's now i have been expanding my Stoner Rock collection tho'

http://www.stonerrock.com kyuss, nebula, bongzilla, fu manchu, orange gobblin, sleep, alabama thunder pussy, etc...however right now i've been getting into some Prog Rock "progresive rock" genesis, yes, pink floyd, etc...a little bit more than i have in the past. some of the metal albums i see picked i can more or less guess the age of the forum poster.

i guess the granddaddy METAL BAND of them all would have to be MoTorHeaD !! thats my pick if i only had one choice

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Hello Kitty said:
i've been a metal head since my first KISS album in 74' there are SO MANY metal bands that i dig that just putting down 5 is gonna be hard to do.

in the last few years i've not bought much nu-metal it all sounds like crap i hate that stuff that sounds all hard and heavy riffs then the guy halfway thru the song starts some gay ass high singing when i saw SLAYER last week the band killswitch engage was just another one of those bands...now MASTODON that opend for them kicked total ASS!!! in the last year or so i've only bought i think...some Hatebreed and the new Mastodon Cd's now i have been expanding my Stoner Rock collection tho'

http://www.stonerrock.com kyuss, nebula, bongzilla, fu manchu, orange gobblin, sleep, alabama thunder pussy, etc...however right now i've been getting into some Prog Rock "progresive rock" genesis, yes, pink floyd, etc...a little bit more than i have in the past.

some of the albums i see picked i can more or less guess the age of the forum poster i guess the granddaddy METAL BAND of them all would have to
be MoTorHeaD !! thats my pick if i only had one choice
Good call. A couple weeks ago I saw that show (Jager) when it rolled thru town. I've seen Slayer before, and they were better this time than the last. Mastodon was frikin awesome too!!! All the kids were there to see KSE and I don't think they got Mastodon at all. I was impressed.

Saw Fu Manchu a couple years ago. I think it was the best show I saw that year. It was at a venue that was getting a string of toughguy hardcore and other bands that attracted fights. It was good at the time to see a rock show where everyone was relaxed and easygoing.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
ROCKLAND said:
Saw Fu Manchu a couple years ago. I think it was the best show I saw that year.
i saw Fu Manchu back in october here in Houston excellent show the concert promoters here in Houston suck and we get skipped over for a lotta metal shows Ozzfest never seems to make it to Houston.

we have some young brokers at where i work and they were all jazzed about going to metallica at the beginning of last month i told them of the "old school" metallica and they looked at me like i had a third eye in my forehead they are all into the "hard rock" metallica not the "THrasH" metallica i grew up on. these nu-metal heads totally dissed me when i told them i was gonna see the mighty SLAYER last week but they went to see marylin manson tuesday??? WTF???

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
ROCKLAND said:

that goes for all music...why just this morning I was placing an order for Too Short's Short Dog's in the House...you know...he's an OG from Oaktown...anyway...the category was R&B/Soul...sub genre was Gangsta/Hardcore...I thought that was mighty funny!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
that goes for all music...why just this morning I was placing an order for Too Short's Short Dog's in the House...you know...he's an OG from Oaktown...anyway...the category was R&B/Soul...sub genre was Gangsta/Hardcore...I thought that was mighty funny!

you ever see the sub-genre categories while tagging mp3s for freedb? there are some strange ones. what the hell is chanson? goa? i even think there is christian gangsta rap. :think:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
not in any order

Tool: Lateralus, anemia or undertow
Iron Madien: Number of the beast
Slayer; :think: wich one.
and uh.. soundgarden i like allot, so sue me. :blah:
Metalica
Sevendust

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Hello Kity, do you like Tool or APC.

I guess some others i kinda like are:
Audio Slave DH girlie borught it up
Incubus is OK.
Alman Brothers
Deep Purple (gota give em credit)
Morrison guitar stuff.

and i like allot of the other stuff mentioned
Canibal Corpse

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
mack said:

I guess some others i kinda like are:
Audio Slave DH girlie borught it up
Incubus is OK.
Alman Brothers
Morrison guitar stuff.

Canibal Corpse
I didn't bring up Audioslave, but since you did, I will have to say Chris Cornell is one fine hot piece of ass...and so is Brandon from Incubus.

And hell yes you gotta give deep purple credit...don't you know that Smoke on the Water is the very first song all guitar players learn?

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
metallica s/t (the one with wherever i may roam)
Guns and Roses Apetite for Destruction
AC/DC Dirt deeds done dirt cheap
acdc back in black
Guns and Roses use your illusion

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
mack said:

Alman Brothers
Morrison guitar stuff.

Canibal Corpse
Tool is alright Allman Brothers Band is blues not metal Deep Purple is good classic rock but not my fave i'm more a Led Zep fan tho' as far as the canibal corpse it all sounded like noise to me.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Ah F'it, I'll chime in as well ...

Sabbath - We sold our soul. [Is using a "best of" cheating :sneaky:]
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengence
Metalica - Kill 'em All [
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

... you really can tell someones age by the list they provide :p

High Marks for Monkey Maturity. I expected this thread to deteriorate quickly into a " Real Metal " pissing match. No such nonsense occured. :cool:

Currently digging the works of Brant Bjork ...

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
i dont consider tool metal but if i was, then yes, tool would top my 5, starting w/ anemia, then undertow, then lateralus, i couldnt find a copy of opiate anywhere so i dunno about that one. anyone have opiate?

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Ah F'it, I'll chime in as well ...

Sabbath - We sold our soul. [Is using a "best of" cheating :sneaky:]
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengence
Metalica - Kill 'em All [
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

... you really can tell someones age by the list they provide ...
excellent choices i though i was the only one in the universe that knew who kyuss was i started digging stoner rock/fuzz rock in the mid 90's with monster magnet and sleep that led to kyuss and fu manchu and so on and so on

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Hello Kitty said:
excellent choices i though i was the only one in the universe that knew who kyuss was i started digging stoner rock/fuzz rock in the mid 90's with monster magnet and sleep that led to kyuss and fu manchu and so on and so on
nah, yr not the only one. i've got the 1st two monster magnet 7"s (lizard johnny and murder). do you have _tab_? i've been trying to track a copy of that down and would be up for a trade.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Oh man... this is a great thread...

My current all time favorite records (changes all the time):
1 & 2 goes to Today is the day: Kiss the Pig & In the eyes of god. (www.todayistheday.org) Their music just does something to me.
3. Neurosis: Souls At Zero.
4. Melvins: Ozma
5. Sepultura: Arise

Others bands in the metal world that im into.... (from thrash to speed to nu and beyond) In no order of favorites.
Fantomas: (members of melvins, Slayer, faith no more/mr bungle)
Mastodon
Dillenger escape plan
Sabbath: Up to sabbotage
Superjoint ritual
Killswitch
Mudvayne
Mushroom head
Slipknot
God Forbid
Arch enemy
Sepultura: Up to when Max left
Soulfly
Deftones
TWISTED SISTER!: You may laugh, but their early stuff was sick.
Bad brains: Rasta metal!
Zeni Geva: Japaneese metal
Motorhead
Asbestos Death (pre sleep)
SLEEP
High on fire (ex sleep)
Soilent Green
Bongzilla
Brujeria
Venom
M'tallica
Misfits
December
TAD
Probot
Shadows fall
TOOL
Buzzov-en
Boltthrower
Godflesh
Unsane
Monster Magnet
Pungent Stench
Acidking
The accused
EDIT: Of course Pantera.....

...thats about all teh CD's i had in my office..... the list could get out of hand...... and thats just in the metal theme.... My punk list could go on as well.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
oly said:
Oh man... this is a great thread...

My current all time favorite records (changes all the time):
1 & 2 goes to Today is the day: Kiss the Pig & In the eyes of god. (www.todayistheday.org) Their music just does something to me.
3. Neurosis: Souls At Zero.
4. Melvins: Ozma
5. Sepultura: Arise

Others bands in the metal world that im into.... (from thrash to speed to nu and beyond) In no order of favorites.
Fantomas: (members of melvins, Slayer, faith no more/mr bungle)
Mastodon
Dillenger escape plan
Sabbath: Up to sabbotage
Superjoint ritual
Killswitch
Mudvayne
Mushroom head
Slipknot
God Forbid
Arch enemy
Sepultura: Up to when Max left
Soulfly
Deftones
TWISTED SISTER!: You may laugh, but their early stuff was sick.
Bad brains: Rasta metal!
Zeni Geva: Japaneese metal
Motorhead
Asbestos Death (pre sleep)
SLEEP
High on fire (ex sleep)
Soilent Green
Bongzilla
Brujeria
Venom
M'tallica
Misfits
December
TAD
Probot
Shadows fall
TOOL
Buzzov-en
Boltthrower
Godflesh
Unsane
Monster Magnet
Pungent Stench
Acidking
The accused

...thats about all teh CD's i had in my office..... the list could get out of hand...... and thats just in the metal theme.... My punk list could go on as well.
That was a good list.

Yea I agree early Twisted Sister stuff does kick ass. :)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Hello Kitty said:
I used to have all the Kyuss records, then i got bored of them and they became a weekend buzz.... now i wish i never sold em. Maybe someday ill find them again.... although Qotsa Is also on my long list i forgot to add.....

www.stonerrock.com is a great source for that type of music. A highschool friend used to write for them (Rob Wrong) . His band is Witch Mountan, and previous to that there was Iommi Stubbs (Portland Oregon, lat 90s).

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
COmtbiker12 said:
That was a good list.

Yea I agree early Twisted Sister stuff does kick ass. :)
At least i wont be the only one laughed at.... :)

I have Under the blade, You cant stop Rock and roll, and Stay hungry all on Vynil...
:evil:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
oly said:
At least i wont be the only one laughed at.... :)

I have Under the blade, You cant stop Rock and roll, and Stay hungry all on Vynil...
:evil:
I like Stay Hungry, but most of their stuff I have is on the computer so I'm not sure which albums they go to.

Has anybody else said Skid Row yet? (yea, probably not the super-coolest band but I like them)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i forgot about zeni geva...i saw them years ago. kk null had the hairflip down cold.

you ever listen to ruins? prog metal. two japanese guys, one on drums the other on bass. they were cool too.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
narlus said:
i forgot about zeni geva...i saw them years ago. kk null had the hairflip down cold.

you ever listen to ruins? prog metal. two japanese guys, one on drums the other on bass. they were cool too.
Never heard of them.

Yona Kit is another KK Null project.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
oly said:
Oh man... this is a great thread..

Brujeria
This thread can't die, its about the best subject other than bikes!

Brujeria.... dude they are friggen great. Funny, really heavy and unintelligable :p Just the way a like my metal!

The song Pito Wilson, with Jello Biafra at the beginning... Awesome :thumb:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Zark said:
This thread can't die, its about the best subject other than bikes!

Brujeria.... dude they are friggen great. Funny, really heavy and unintelligable :p Just the way a like my metal!

The song Pito Wilson, with Jello Biafra at the beginning... Awesome :thumb:
My gem from them is the green 7" fumarlo, With a sticker and a book of matches. The best part is the song "Marajuana" Set to the macarana music. Classic.

I used to also have a T-shirt with a dead guy on it. and it said !Satanismo!. I have that 7" also along with, El Patron, and Demoniaco!

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
speaking of old school, my older sister who was a big elton john, peter frampton and who fan in the 70's got a 8 track tape of Kiss's dressed to kill from a boyfriend she didn't like Kiss that much or the guy so she handed it off to me and since the only stuff that an 10 yr old (me) had at the time was a 45 record of paul mc cartney & wings "live and let die" and i think a KC and the Sunshine 8 track so i took it gladly well one look at the cover and...the rest is history...

over night i knew that this what the sh*t !!! and i became a Kiss fanatic from there on, it was Kiss Kiss and more Kiss it wasn't till a year or so later that while at boy scout summer camp that the older scouts got tired of me playing kiss 24 hours a day and turned me on to Bad Co., Blue Oyster Cult, Nazareth, Pink Floyd, deep purple, and of course Black Sabbath!

the second phase of my metal awakeing had thus begun leading me on to Ted Nugent, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Queen, Rush and a new band that the high school "stoners" were jamming to in 1980 called Iron Maiden.

although i did deviate a bit to Devo the B-52's and Adam and the Ants in the early 80's metal always brought me back to my roots

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i love blue oyster cult, but they really aren't heavy metal, imo (then again, neither is KISS, but that's a whole 'nother ball of pudding).

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
narlus said:
i love blue oyster cult, but they really aren't heavy metal, imo (then again, neither is KISS, but that's a whole 'nother ball of pudding).
i'm not claiming that they are "metal" they are just a "hard rock" band just like i think AC/DC is. i don't want to get in to a pissing match of who's METAL and who isn't i was just going down memory lane on how i got the hard rock bug it almost wasn't to be i almost went down the country & western path that was popular at that time YiKeS!!!