Quantcast

Am I becoming a crackpot?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
A quick question - the calls that were made from the plane that crashed, the ones that were recorded, were they made from cell-phones, or via another medium?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
fluff said:
A quick question - the calls that were made from the plane that crashed, the ones that were recorded, were they made from cell-phones, or via another medium?
I don't know but commerical planes have the GTE/Verizon/whatever airphones built in the back of every seat. Those work at all altitudes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They were made from cell phones, not seatback phones. Which is weird seeing that it's highly unlikely for cells to get reception at cruising altitude.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Bicyclist said:
They were made from cell phones, not seatback phones. Which is weird seeing that it's highly unlikely for cells to get reception at cruising altitude.
Some of the calls were placed from GTE airphones, it was in the news when it happened.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
My understanding of the problem with cell phones is that because the plane is moving at 500mph at 30,000, a plane full of cell phone users switches cells on the ground so fast that things get screwed up.

I've been in planes before where someone's phone rings at 30,000 over Oregon because they forgot to turn it off.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Silver said:
My understanding of the problem with cell phones is that because the plane is moving at 500mph at 30,000, a plane full of cell phone users switches cells on the ground so fast that things get screwed up.

I've been in planes before where someone's phone rings at 30,000 over Oregon because they forgot to turn it off.
Yes thats correct. Cell phones work in airplanes. They are banned by the FCC for the reason you mentioned - not banned by the FAA.

One of my users wanted his old carrier Blackberry back cause the new Verizon one didn't work as well in his private plane :D

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Well, there is also the question of how and why these calls were recorded. If they were made from the airline phone I can understand it, from the cell-phones, less so.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fluff said:
Well, there is also the question of how and why these calls were recorded. If they were made from the airline phone I can understand it, from the cell-phones, less so.
you don't think the nsa records all telephone calls? (not that someone listens to it all necessarily.) i would most definitely not put it past them to have a tap at every telco.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Toshi said:
you don't think the nsa records all telephone calls? (not that someone listens to it all necessarily.) i would most definitely not put it past them to have a tap at every telco.
I think that's just too much data even for them.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
What I was considering was that the phone calls mentioned in the documentary are generally short and at least one person used his full name when calling his mother. That's much more understandable (along with the recording) if people were using a airplane phone rather than a cell phone. It would be credible that they expected to be recorded and acted accordingly. It may also help explain why calls were short.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Did they sound like:

"Hello? John Smith.If this is correct, press 1...*beeeep*. "This is your...for "child" press 1, for "spouse" press 2 ....*beeeep*child.

fluff said:
What I was considering was that the phone calls mentioned in the documentary are generally short and at least one person used his full name when calling his mother. That's much more understandable (along with the recording) if people were using a airplane phone rather than a cell phone. It would be credible that they expected to be recorded and acted accordingly. It may also help explain why calls were short.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MMike said:
Did they sound like:

"Hello? John Smith.If this is correct, press 1...*beeeep*. "This is your...for "child" press 1, for "spouse" press 2 ....*beeeep*child.
You're not even taking your own conspiracy theory thread seriously anymore then?