Quantcast

Angry’s 2023 AT Thru Hike

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Day 34

18 miles from Sam’s Gap to No Business Knob Shelter.

Got dropped off at Sam’s Gap at 8:15. Pack weight was fairly light since I only had two days of food. Hiked at a brisk pace where I could since new shoes meant I once again had traction. Spent some time up on the balds enjoying the scenery and sunshine. It’s rare to see the sun in the green tunnel so every opportunity is taken advantage of. Got to the shelter a little before 7:00. A long day indeed. There was, once again, no one else at the shelter. A growing trend I fear.

day-34-1.jpg

day-34-2.jpg

day-34-3.jpg

day-34-4.jpg

day-34-5.jpg

day-34-6.jpg

day-34-7.jpg

day-34-8.jpg

day-34-9.jpg

day-34-10.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 35

Only 6 miles from No Business Knob to Uncle Johnny’s Hostel.

Was asleep by 9:30 and up at 6:25 and on trail at 7:40. Was a fairly easy hike into Uncle Johnny’s where I rented a cabin for the night. Rode bikes with a section hiker who I had met the other day at the Hiker Inn Hostel to Mexican restaurant. Then did my resupply and laundry. Later enjoyed her company over dinner at a picnic table.

day-35-1.jpg

day-35-2.jpg

day-35-3.jpg

day-35-4.jpg

day-35-5.jpg

day-35-6.jpg

day-35-7.jpg

day-35-8.jpg

day-35-9.jpg

day-35-10.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 36

0 miles

It started raining early in the a.m. and continued until 9:30 or 10:00. Decided to take a zero since there was no way I could make it to my target shelter 17 miles away leaving that late.

Took the beach cruiser back to the same Mexican place for lunch then pedaled into town. Erwin has a bike path that skirts the town. Unfortunately it’s not a loop and was barricaded towards the end making accessing downtown nearly impossible. Also there was fencing on both sides for a mile or so leading up to that. And of course no signage. Wound up slipping through a hole in the fence behind a sketchy looking shack. 4.4 miles took an hour each way. Beach cruisers remind me of the futility in pedaling a DH sled around a flat trail.

day-36-1.jpg

day-36-2.jpg

day-36-3.jpg

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have a PayPal account. But it uses my email address. Is there a way I can post that without showing the email ? If not then I can PM it.

Many thanks.
In the PayPal app, go to the Payments section by clicking on the dollar sign near the bottom. Then go to the Request tab. Scroll down and you should see a Share Your Link option.

IMG_7270.png

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
In the PayPal app, go to the Payments section by clicking on the dollar sign near the bottom. Then go to the Request tab. Scroll down and you should see a Share Your Link option.

View attachment 196268
Tried, but kept getting hung up. Will work on it another time. The app doesn’t seem to play well with iPhone14. But the website works.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Day 36

0 miles

It started raining early in the a.m. and continued until 9:30 or 10:00. Decided to take a zero since there was no way I could make it to my target shelter 17 miles away leaving that late.

Took the beach cruiser back to the same Mexican place for lunch then pedaled into town. Erwin has a bike path that skirts the town. Unfortunately it’s not a loop and was barricaded towards the end making accessing downtown nearly impossible. Also there was fencing on both sides for a mile or so leading up to that. And of course no signage. Wound up slipping through a hole in the fence behind a sketchy looking shack. 4.4 miles took an hour each way. Beach cruisers remind me of the futility in pedaling a DH sled around a flat trail.

View attachment 196264

View attachment 196265

View attachment 196266

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 37

17 miles from Uncle Johnny’s to Cherry Gap shelter.

Got on trail at 7:20 and as usual had a tough climb out with a pack heavy with food. Ran into a few other hikers and some wound up at the same shelter. Had a fun time eating dinner and telling stories.

day-37-1.jpg

day-37-2.jpg

day-37-3.jpg

day-37-4.jpg

day-37-5.jpg

day-37-6.jpg

day-37-7.jpg

day-37-8.jpg

day-37-9.jpg

day-37-10.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 38

18 miles from Cherry Gap shelter to Roan High Knob shelter.

This was a long day. My legs were already hurting from the two hour beach cruiser ride from a couple days ago and the climb up to Roan High Knob took it out of me. It’s the highest shelter on the AT at 6270’ 11.5 hours of hiking and I was toast. Slept in the shelter that night to avoid the near certain chance of a thunderstorm. Which never happened. There was a large group of hikers camped up there but I had the shelter to myself. Well, just me and the mice. The mice reconed me a couple times but left me alone. Or so I thought. One of them chewed off some of the cork on my trekking pole handles.

day-38-1.jpg

day-38-2.jpg

day-38-3.jpg

day-38-4.jpg

day-38-5.jpg

day-38-6.jpg

day-38-7.jpg

day-38-8.jpg

day-38-9.jpg

day-38-10.jpg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 39

16 miles from Roan High Knob shelter to Mountain Harbor Hostel.

Another difficult day on trail. Slipped on a spot where someone had decided to pack dirt onto a rock step making it unwalkable when wet. Got a little scraped up and muddied until I could get to a water source and clean up.

There were several amazing places for views but the constant threat of a thunderstorm and 25-30 mph winds kept me from taking a ton of pics. Right at the top of the highest climb a thunderstorm let loose at 2:00. From there I pretty much ran down the mountain. Had quite a bit of exposed bald to traverse in a downpour and I think I may have gotten hailed on at some point. The storm let up for a bit and I kept hiking with a wetted out rain jacket and soaked shorts and shoes hoping they would dry some. And as if all that rain just wasn’t enough the sky opened up a second time.

This time I deployed the umbrella since I was off the bald and out of the wind. Here the trail got steep, rooty and very technical. Something just clicked in my head and the promise of a dry hostel and hot food were enough for me to hit turbo down that stuff, even with running water on most of the trail. I was hopping down big wet rock steps like a man processed. I passed at least seven other hikers who were also north bound. I didn’t care. I was already soaked and tired. Just get me off that mountain. From where the first storm hit I did 5.5 miles in under 2.5 hours.

day-39-1.jpg

day-39-2.jpg

day-39-3.jpg

day-39-4.jpg

day-39-5.jpg

day-39-6.jpg

day-39-7.jpg

day-39-8.jpg

day-39-9.jpg

day-39-10.jpg

Last edited:

AT turtle

Chimp
Jun 14, 2023
Day 39

16 miles from Roan High Knob shelter to Mountain Harbor Hostel.

Another difficult day on trail. Slipped on a spot where someone had decided to pack dirt onto a rock step making it unwalkable when wet. Got a little scraped up and muddied until I could get to a water source and clean up.

There were several amazing places for views but the constant threat of a thunderstorm and 25-30 mph winds kept me from taking a ton of pics. Right at the top of the highest climb a thunderstorm let loose at 2:00. From there I pretty much ran down the mountain. Had quite a bit of exposed bald to traverse in a downpour and I think I may have gotten hailed on at some point. The storm let up for a bit and I kept hiking with a wetted out rain jacket and soaked shorts and shoes hoping they would dry some. And as if all that rain just wasn’t enough the sky opened up a second time.

This time I deployed the umbrella since I was off the bald and out of the wind. Here the trail got steep, rooty and very technical. Something just clicked in my head and the promise of a dry hostel and hot food were enough for me to hit turbo down that stuff, even with running water on most of the trail. I was hopping down big wet rock steps like a man processed. I passed at least seven other hikers who were also north bound. I didn’t care. I was already soaked and tired. Just get me off that mountain. From where the first storm hit I did 5.5 miles in under 2.5 hours.

View attachment 196424

View attachment 196425

View attachment 196426

View attachment 196427

View attachment 196428

View attachment 196429

View attachment 196430

View attachment 196432

View attachment 196433

View attachment 196431
I've been there. Loved it

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 40

0 miles

Took a zero at Mountain Harbor Hostel since it was Fourth of July and my legs needed a rest from running down a steep rocky mountain during two thunderstorms the prior day.

Every hiker that I talked to for more than 30 seconds from Uncle Johnny’s on raved about how amazing the breakfast was. And it lived up to the hype. Hands down one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in a long time.

Their hospitality was most appreciated. And later they served us dinner and treated us to a fireworks display. A very good rest day for sure.

day-40-1.jpg

day-40-2.jpg

day-40-3.jpg

day-40-4.jpg

day-40-5.jpg

day-40-6.jpg

day-40-7.jpg

day-40-8.jpg

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Day 40

0 miles

Took a zero at Mountain Harbor Hostel since it was Fourth of July and my legs needed a rest from running down a steep rocky mountain during two thunderstorms the prior day.

Every hiker that I talked to for more than 30 seconds from Uncle Johnny’s on raved about how amazing the breakfast was. And it lived up to the hype. Hands down one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in a long time.

Their hospitality was most appreciated. And later they served us dinner and treated us to a fireworks display. A very good rest day for sure.

View attachment 196657

View attachment 196658

View attachment 196659

View attachment 196660

View attachment 196661

View attachment 196662

View attachment 196663

View attachment 196664
Breakfast lasagna?!?