Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of the Republican Party?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Even the GOP can't stand Trumps mouth

The uproar over Donald Trump's criticism of a bereaved Army family put vulnerable GOP senators in a tight spot, underscoring anew the political challenges created for Republicans by their newly minted presidential nominee. And with the general election campaign now squarely underway, the firestorm over Trump's attacks on the Khan family is likely just a taste of trials to come as Republicans negotiate how closely to align with their volatile nominee.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No, he's actually crazy

“During the primary season, as Donald Trump’s bizarre outbursts helped him crush the competition, I thought he was being crazy like a fox. Now I am increasingly convinced that he’s just plain crazy,” Robinson continued. “I’m serious about that. Leave aside for the moment Trump’s policies, which in my opinion range from the unconstitutional to the un-American to the potentially catastrophic. At this point, it would be irresponsible to ignore the fact that Trump’s grasp on reality appears to be tenuous at best.”

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Trump bashes a Gold Star family repeatedly, demonstrating his lack of respect for those in uniform. All of it gets played out on national TV and most internet news sites, yet his base is unfazed.

And to make matters worse, there is evidence that points to Trump having ties to Russia. His campaign manager worked for a politician in the Ukraine who was influenced by Putin. This is not getting nearly the same amount of coverage as the Khan scandal. If it was proven that Trump has dealings with Russia, then how would his supporters react ?

Bashing the military and cohorting with Russia are decidedly GOP, un-American no-nos. One could easily make the case that the Repubs don't value this country as much as they have espoused in the past if they continue to support this man.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Trump bashes a Gold Star family repeatedly, demonstrating his lack of respect for those in uniform. All of it gets played out on national TV and most internet news sites, yet his base is unfazed.

And to make matters worse, there is evidence that points to Trump having ties to Russia. His campaign manager worked for a politician in the Ukraine who was influenced by Putin. This is not getting nearly the same amount of coverage as the Khan scandal. If it was proven that Trump has dealings with Russia, then how would his supporters react ?

Bashing the military and cohorting with Russia are decidedly GOP, un-American no-nos. One could easily make the case that the Repubs don't value this country as much as they have espoused in the past if they continue to support this man.
It's long past time to quit talking about Drumpf as if pointing out his irrational, crazy, bullshit, has somehow not been noticed by his base. It has been, and it's what the love about him. These are not rational people and its time to quit thinking they are suddenly going to start acting like it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's long past time to quit talking about Drumpf as if pointing out his irrational, crazy, bullshit, has somehow not been noticed by his base. It has been, and it's what the love about him. These are not rational people and its time to quit thinking they are suddenly going to start acting like it.
Well, yes for his base. But if the top GOP brass start to publicly pull away, the fewer the votes he will get from the ones who tow the party line.

But again, David Duke KNOWS he's crazy, that's why he supports him. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm at the point that his continued popularity is less of a sign of how bad he is, but more of how bad a significant portion of america has gotten

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I kinda feel that the RNC base has had at least 2 decades now of constant oneup manship,
hysterical shrieking hyperbole, that it really has reached the point of no return,
and they quite honestly are no longer capable of registering reality.
So when non Republican's point out just how batshit insane, and how much of an out and out narcissistic liar Trump is, they truly cannot possibly understand.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks Obama

Katrina Pierson appeared on CNN for an interview with Wolf Blitzer about Trump’s continued war of words with the parents of slain soldier Capt. Humayun Khan, and said Obama’s changes to the “rules of engagement” in Iraq likely cost the soldier his life.

The only problem, of course, is that Khan died in 2004, when George W. Bush was president, and Obama was just a state senator in Illinois.
<edit>
Obama started 14th century Europe's Black Death pandemic, causing 75 million deaths. Because, you know, BLACK.

#KatrinaPiersonHistory

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have to say that there are still NO Trump yard signs or bumper stickers in this entire region. Not one.
Haven't seen a single hat or t-shirt.
But this is 'blue' Jackhole, though.

There are plenty in Washington. Mostly in the rural areas, perhaps the contrast of very liberal Seattle pushes the other side to extremes.

What is even more confusing is that I see a lot of Trump bumper stickers on trucks at work. Presumably owned by our union labor. These are well paid folks that really cannot claim to be disaffected by the system, mainly due to their union status. Not only is Trump unfriendly to unions but his anti-muslim stance would most likely result in cancellation of orders from middle east customers which are a significant portion of our business. A Trump presidency would most likely result in a decimation of those union jobs, and mine.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
There are plenty in Washington. Mostly in the rural areas, perhaps the contrast of very liberal Seattle pushes the other side to extremes.

What is even more confusing is that I see a lot of Trump bumper stickers on trucks at work. Presumably owned by our union labor. These are well paid folks that really cannot claim to be disaffected by the system, mainly due to their union status. Not only is Trump unfriendly to unions but his anti-muslim stance would most likely result in cancellation of orders from middle east customers which are a significant portion of our business. A Trump presidency would most likely result in a decimation of those union jobs, and mine.
And the sad thing is that no matter how much evidence you show them to illustrate this point, they probably will not believe you.

Read the other day that Trump applied for 78 Guest Worker Visas for his Mar-a-largo estate. Claims that he cannot find the help in the area, but staffing agencies say otherwise. He can bring in foreign workers and pay them pitiful wages that are barely above minimum wage.

And of course Trump supporters will still say he is going to create jobs and stop outsourcing. R...i...ght...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I did see my first "Trump" and "Make america great again" stickers on my way into work today. He was here last week and stirred some shit with the local FD when he issued 10000 tickets to a 1500 seat venue. He also got stuck in the elevator, which is weird because I didn't think Chris Christie was with him.
Gah, can you image being stuck in an elevator with Trump ?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And the sad thing is that no matter how much evidence you show them to illustrate this point, they probably will not believe you.

Read the other day that Trump applied for 78 Guest Worker Visas for his Mar-a-largo estate. Claims that he cannot find the help in the area, but staffing agencies say otherwise. He can bring in foreign workers and pay them pitiful wages that are barely above minimum wage.

And of course Trump supporters will still say he is going to create jobs and stop outsourcing. R...i...ght...

I assume they are single issue voters, and that issue is GUNZ. I worked with a bunch of union hillbillies in Virginia. They were obsessed with hunting and said guns. Folks out here are obsessed with their AR-15's. I guess they are afraid of Illegal Immigrant Canadians coming across the un-walled border.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
There are so many grouse around here an AR-15 would not be enough. Also Canadian are not interested in the US because the exchange rate is so unfavorable. Whistler should be pretty affordable for those paid in greenbacks right about now.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I assume they are single issue voters, and that issue is GUNZ. I worked with a bunch of union hillbillies in Virginia. They were obsessed with hunting and said guns. Folks out here are obsessed with their AR-15's. I guess they are afraid of Illegal Immigrant Canadians coming across the un-walled border.
And here you can point out that the NRA is a marketing machine for the gun industry with the example of how nearly eight years ago they convinced their members that Obama was going to take their guns and ammo, which of course never happened nor intended by his administration. One of my neighbors and his buddies were complaining that they couldn't get any ammo at the shops because gun nuts bought up all the ammo to stock up. Idiots.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is at least one visible Trump yard sign in my neighborhood. I have seen a number of bumper stickers on my commute on rigs from further north.